Jethart's Here!

fegguk

Ok surely I should be able to manage 20x11. So Jetharts Here!

The terminus at Jedburgh (NBR) had a train shed with buffer stops beyond. The overall roof was removed some time before the war, photo’s show fairly obviously where it went.

This diorama will feature the short section beyond the train shed the end of station building and forecourt. Unfortunately there is no room for the engine shed and water tank above.

A short extension out side the 20x11 will enable it to operate as the prototype.

I have made a start with a paper and card board mock up.

(Jethart's here is the town’s motto and anthem)

• 3 weeks later...

Water tank and sliver of old loco shed added hut and advertising hoarding added. Plus weathering.

To do list

finalise back scene,

fences,

platform surface and edge,

grass weed etc.

Clutter advert other details

stock stuff

post-368-0-75265900-1308782608_thumb.jpg

post-368-0-52322400-1308782623_thumb.jpg

and some paint. That Leprechaun door under the water tank will have to be enlarged

post-368-0-83367500-1308781924_thumb.jpg

if you are wondering what the prototype looked like check out the links below. The train shed roof was abscent by the time these were taken post war, so you need to imagine it. What I have built is based on the one at Langholm-ish, I have not been able to find one of the origonal

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_edin_t/0_edinburgh_transport_railways_jls_dy_jedburgh_apr_1962.htm

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/location.php?loc=Jedburgh%20Branch

Roof weathered and platfrom detail added plus wooden fencepost-368-0-86611100-1308952829_thumb.jpg

Chimney pot straightend

post-368-0-65007400-1308952790_thumb.jpg

The leprechaun seem to have bought a Ford Prefect, were people really that small or the cars much bigger.

post-368-0-62610400-1308952805_thumb.jpg

The leprechaun seem to have bought a Ford Prefect, were people really that small or the cars much bigger.

A bit off topic, but you did ask...

In 1950's and 60's car advertising the artists often drew people in cars slightly underscale to make their cars look bigger. :blink:

Delighted to hear the Jedburgh is to be immortalized. Theres a wondrous building simply calling out to be modelled

about a quater mile or so away from the station site, If you go to that excellent ironmongers near the Co-Op store,

round the back of the ironmongers is a building or store, two stories high, once used by the military as barracks, once as a pigeon loft, and the lord knows what besides. Fill of charm and nice and tatty. Theres the castle too

and the abbey besides, ruins galore. Sadly I have only seen the avenue of trees that remain, once lining the line as it came to the station. Of the station site, I have not seen anything remaining of its railway past. But I havent searched diligently. Maybe the local library??

As requested.

Here is what the station site looks like now, the ubiquitous small industrial estate. Of the rest of the line the staton masters houses at Nisbet and Kirkbank are now homes,the jedfoot platform is still there together with the derelict Ormiston crossing keepers cottage.

There has is virtually no development blocking the route, which says a lot about the development of the local economy of Jedburgh in particular.

The route to Roxburgh can be walked some of it forms part of the Borders Abbey Way.

post-368-0-07213200-1309109802_thumb.jpg

Interesting Rock Strata..........

Here is what it actually looks like.

The problem with trying to make a back scene from photos is the industrial units in front get in the way (see above). Crudely fiddling with composite photos does not really work. I will probably end up trying to paint one. Either way it will need to be partially hidden with some trees.

Unfortunately there is not enough room for the river. Would an acoustic representation babbling brook style work.

post-368-0-80881200-1309111985_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived