Salter's Sidings

Ursa Major

I normally follow narrow gauge but a small module would not take up too much room and would be an excuse to run the limited collection of SG stock that I've had in boxes for some years.

With Jack's Timesaver Gough's Yard an Inglenook would be a logical choice for another module. I wouldn't go for the full 5-3-3 but a reduced 3-2-2 instead. When I get home from work I'll measure the points I have available and draw a full size plan to see how much room it will take.

Sounds like a fab idea, welcome aboard!

If you can get hold of a copy of the Gauge O Guild's Small Layouts Volume 1 there is a 3-2-2 plan using 3-way point. I seem to recall the whole thing was done in about 4-5 feet, although the 3-way was handbuilt to quite tight radii. I know the book is available as a pdf download to guild members, and also appears second hand in hardcopy format occasionally.

Our table is 3ft 3in wide so the module should fit on a 4ft by 2ft board with an external shunting lead, either a plug in section for at home or an adjoining module of the larger layout.

SlatersSidings1.jpg

I'll get some track to go with the points then invest in a sheet of half inch plywood and some 2x1 pine.

:yes:

• 1 month later...

I'll get some track to go with the points then invest in a sheet of half inch plywood and some 2x1 pine.

Hows it going? Any progress on the module?

The points you've used look pretty interesting, what make are they?

The points are second hand Lima, they're causing problems because they don't match Peco track very well and also have a very tight curved route. The module may have to be a single siding instead of an Inglenook because Peco points are a lot longer than the Lima ones.

Progress to date... Timber purchased but no futher work done due to being otherwise engaged, sorry.

Progress to date... Timber purchased but no futher work done due to being otherwise engaged, sorry.

No need to apologies!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know the feeling, its taken nearly two years to get Gough's moving!!

I guess the Lima ones were ok 30 years ago ... I've used Marcway 48" radius points on Gough's. They are about 3-4" shorter then peco ones (which i believe are 72" radius). The only downside are the lack of chairs (the rails are directly soldered to pcb sleepers) and the sleeper depth is different. The latter isn't much of a problem, i just used a couple of layers of 1/16" cork underneath - it won't show when ballasted. Just a thought if you want to stick with the 3-2-2 idea.

Archived