Books for the period

Dave777

The Diesel and electrics on shed books are fantastic and well worth tracking down, if only the pics were in colour though! For me, the best of the bunch has to be Strathwoods seventies spotting days series. I'm always looking at these for reference and ideas.

Steve

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

hi folks,

I recently ordered and received a copy of "1970s Diesels & Electrics - A Steam Enthusiast Looks Back" by Roger Griffiths, published by Booklaw Publications.

It's excellent!

When I ordered it I hadn't realised that all the photos would be in colour, but they are, and so this book is an excellent resource for us BR Blue modellers. There are pre- and post-TOPS locos illustrated, plus DMUs, across a variety of locations, and right through the '70s. Lovely.

Amazon list the book as "currently unavailable" http://www.amazon.co.uk/1970s-Diesels-Electrics-Steam-Enthusiasts/dp/1907094296 but I bought my copy from http://www.railwaybooks.org/page8.htm and in my view it's well worth £12.99.

all the best,

Keith

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Diesel and electrics on shed books are fantastic and well worth tracking down, if only the pics were in colour though! For me, the best of the bunch has to be Strathwoods seventies spotting days series. I'm always looking at these for reference and ideas.

Steve

Very pleased that the Seventies Spotting Days series hits the mark for you and others, as my intention with the captions was to get away from the usual all too boring 160 captions per book, all saying Dxxxx became xxxxx in TOPS at so and so on xx/xx/197x, it was withdrawn on xx/xx/xxxx, and scrapped at so and so on xx/xx/xxxx. As I have read far too many of those books over the years and wanted something to convey the atmosphere of the time. Hence the choice of shots where possible to display, the infrastructure, people (for life and fashions of the day, it was what we were all wearing after all back then), the rolling stock, signals, signage etc. In fact everything as a modeller we might enjoy or find useful.

Like anyone who breaks the conventions, I get those who like and those who dislike.

Well for those who dislike, they will be pleased to note there will only be two more in the Seventies Spotting Days series, one each on the ECML and WCML to avoid.

For those who like, act fast as a number of the earlier ones are getting very low on stocks, proof that many of you do like the series. Besides why should anyone risk their money on publishing reprints when the minority for whose glass is always half empty, take enjoyment in putting the series down as though they have or could do better themselves. Have you also noted how they always feel obliged to voice their opinions upon the majority within RM Web? Thus making the commercial idea of risking the cash for future reprints for those who missed out on Seventies Spotting Days around the Western Region and others, or even new books in the future, far from attractive.

Instead I will be releasing a Seventies Diesel & Electric Days Remembered during the summer, which if it is well recieved, as was the first volume of Sixties Diesel & Electric Days Remembered which was a market trial when first released as I was not sure it would be a success, it follows it may also mean further volumes to follow if the Seventies version is a hit.

So for those who moan and begroan new books, models, products or whatever. They should try it for themselves, with their own funds and await the backlash from the unfriendly minority. Instead perhaps they should learn from the majority and encourage new products or ventures, otherwise I do see the hobby contracting and dying off completely for new books, models and products within the next ten years. As the likes of myself and others retire and do not see the point in risking themselves or their families finances any further. Instead they can just content themselves to their own modelling, or do as some do, take on another hobby or interest instead to get away from the back biting that goes on.

There we are grump over, my glass is back full again. Hopefully those who would like to see more positive comments and influences within RM Web and elsewhere will start to voice up and drown out the noise from those who pick fault all the time, usually under the disguise of some sort of pen name or alias, as very often it does not improve the new products coming forward, it just puts many of them on the back burner or in the bin...

Kevin Derrick

Strathwood Publishing

Kevin, I have every one of the Seventies Spotting Days volumes, and also, although they are slightly early for me (born in 1959) all four of the Sixties D&E Days Remembered books. Each is a visual and nostalgic treat, and I find myself constantly flicking through them. More power to your elbow and keep up the good work please !

• RMweb Gold

Kevin, I have every one of the Seventies Spotting Days volumes, and also, although they are slightly early for me (born in 1959) all four of the Sixties D&E Days Remembered books. Each is a visual and nostalgic treat, and I find myself constantly flicking through them. More power to your elbow and keep up the good work please !

Many thanks, I will try to keep 'em going...

Kevin

• 5 months later...

'Instead I will be releasing a Seventies Diesel & Electric Days Remembered during the summer, which if it is well recieved, as was the first volume of Sixties Diesel & Electric Days Remembered which was a market trial when first released as I was not sure it would be a success, it follows it may also mean further volumes to follow if the Seventies version is a hit'

Oh Dear more books, better start saving and building a bigger bookshelf!! :no:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Steve

Just a heads up as a number of the Seventies Spotting Days series and Looking back at series are now getting into low stocks. Have a look at the website www.strathwood.co.uk for more details.

Meanwhile during the enforced lull in production due to the loss of both our bookbinders and the printers we have transferred all production overseas since the start of the year. This has allowed a chance to for everyone to catch up with many of the older titles, hence low stocks on a number of them.

There are just two more books planned within the Seventies Spotting Days series, one each for the ECML and the WCML, which are almost complete as I type this. The long awaited Seventies Diesel & Electric Days Remembered is also out for printing, if a success then this may follow the Sixties Diesel & Electric Days Remembered which are up to number seven with the latter two away for printing too, by the way vols IV & V are low stocks too.

The transfer to overseas for production has caused a number of delays sadly, but we wanted everything to follow on from the earlier volumes which we have achieved. The last two Eighties Spotting Days titles Back to Ashes II and Back to the Ashes III will both arrive together somewhere in the next thirty days, with Looking back at Class 31 Locomotives and Looking back at Class 33 Locomotives.

I hope this keeps everyone up to date for now.

Kevin Derrick

Strathwood Publishing

post-10498-0-52641100-1438680709.jpg

post-10498-0-33309400-1438680731_thumb.jpg

post-10498-0-01361100-1438680758.jpg

post-10498-0-10516300-1438680776_thumb.jpg

post-10498-0-84028100-1438680841.jpg

post-10498-0-42744600-1438680871.jpg

post-10498-0-13858700-1438680927.jpg

post-10498-0-63080700-1438680945.jpg

post-10498-0-99525900-1438680967_thumb.jpg

post-10498-0-70155500-1438681014_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Came across a nice new book on BR blue traction today, called Blue Diesels In View by Gavin Morrison, a tour around the regions across the seventies and eighties.

Very nicely reproduced images, published in the last week or so it seems, details at

http://www.capitaltransport.com/blue-diesels-in-view-569-p.asp

Just less than twenty quid, recommended!

Cheers,

Keith

Came across a nice new book on BR blue traction today, called Blue Diesels In View by Gavin Morrison, a tour around the regions across the seventies and eighties.

Very nicely reproduced images, published in the last week or so it seems, details at

http://www.capitaltransport.com/blue-diesels-in-view-569-p.asp

Just less than twenty quid, recommended!

Cheers,

Keith

Got a copy at Ally Pally, really good book and on one page there's a great pic of a class 128 DPU pulling 2 ballast wagons!

Def recommended.

Steve.

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I know many already have copies and an awful lot more will be getting their copies from Santa but for those who have yet to add these to their library, be quick as from the 1000 printed we are down to around 160 copies of each left.

Full details at www.strathwood.co.uk

post-10498-0-28055700-1513759556_thumb.jpgpost-10498-0-39357800-1513759569_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Five new titles all out today, more details in the RM Web books section.

Western Wonders 1961-1977

Fifty Years of the Class 50s

Class 40 Celebration 1958-1988

Deltic Devotion

Large Logo Salute

Kevin Derrick

Strathwood Publishing

Five new titles all out today, more details in the RM Web books section.

Western Wonders 1961-1977

Fifty Years of the Class 50s

Class 40 Celebration 1958-1988

Deltic Devotion

Large Logo Salute

Kevin Derrick

Strathwood Publishing

post-10498-0-45959200-1527237221.jpg

post-10498-0-93938300-1527237233.jpg

post-10498-0-52239100-1527237243.jpg

post-10498-0-98812600-1527237253.jpg

post-10498-0-67683100-1527237263.jpg