Layouts based on the period

Dave777

I'm in the early stages of my new layout set somewhere between 1969 and 1972, so plenty of dirty blue. It's another MPD layout set in Southern Scotland, Byford Lane will feature plenty of type 2 action , here is a taster .

20201120_141045.jpg

20201120_141459.jpg

20201120_141356.jpg

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 8

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I suppose when I get round to it I'll do an article on The Model Railway Club's "New Annington" layout that was probably the first big roundy-roundy exhibition layout to feature "the Modern Image" of British Railways. It was started in 1978 with a track plan devised by the late Frank Dyer of "Borchester" fame, and built under my leadership by a small but dedicated band of MRC members. No steam, all diesel and later overhead electric. 

It was 24' x 16' wide with a large through station one side, a double track branch the other side at a higher lever with the main line running at a lower level through a modern through station. At one end were the hidden loops. It developed over the following 10 years with updated track plan, fully interlocked semi-automatic 4-aspect signals with route indicators, overhead electric equipment, and the hidden loops being extended to something like 20 loops with entry/exit push button control. I stepped down as layout leader in the early 1990s and AFAIK it was dismantled in the early 2000's.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, roythebus1 said:

I suppose when I get round to it I'll do an article on The Model Railway Club's "New Annington" layout that was probably the first big roundy-roundy exhibition layout to feature "the Modern Image" of British Railways. It was started in 1978 with a track plan devised by the late Frank Dyer of "Borchester" fame, and built under my leadership by a small but dedicated band of MRC members. No steam, all diesel and later overhead electric. 

It was 24' x 16' wide with a large through station one side, a double track branch the other side at a higher lever with the main line running at a lower level through a modern through station. At one end were the hidden loops. It developed over the following 10 years with updated track plan, fully interlocked semi-automatic 4-aspect signals with route indicators, overhead electric equipment, and the hidden loops being extended to something like 20 loops with entry/exit push button control. I stepped down as layout leader in the early 1990s and AFAIK it was dismantled in the early 2000's.

I remember reading about new annington in I think railway modeller Possibly in the 90’s ?

was a favourite of mine from then on 

was it a steam era layout that then changed era ?

I’ve tried to find the magazines which it was in but no avail 

I would definitely be interested in reading your article on it when you do one 

Brian 

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Bri.dolan said:

I remember reading about new annington in I think railway modeller Possibly in the 90’s ?

was a favourite of mine from then on 

was it a steam era layout that then changed era ?

I’ve tried to find the magazines which it was in but no avail 

I would definitely be interested in reading your article on it when you do one 

Brian 

It was Railway Modeller, May 1992 issue.

• Thanks 1

It was in an earlier magazine which went out of production, all I remember it was based in Brentwood. I've got a copy of it somewhere. 

It was built with the intention of being a steam/diesel era layout. there wasn't much modern stuff around in 1978! We had the Triang Brush 2, the Hornby Dublo Bo-Bo, Trix Warship and Western, Lima hadn't been invented, not had Mainline! Airfix were just getitng into things with their Brush 2 as well. Oh, and the Trix AL1, and a couple of not very accurate diesel shunters.

As the layout progressed more modern traction became available, so the layout never actually ran with any steam locos even in the early days. TriangHornby had just brought out the HST and things started to change.  Lima came along with some good for the era diesels and DMUs which led to a lot of conversions. Hornby with their Leyland National railbuses, Lima hopper wagons, Hornby MGR wagons etc. Spoilt for choice so we thought.

As the "modern image" became the norm (modern image being coined by Cyril Freezer in 1961) the layout changed with the times, track layout modernised, colour light signals, OHLE, etc. At one stage British Railways wanted to use the layout to be filmed for their signalling training programme as the signalling was ever so correct. Sadly nothing became of that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

It was in an earlier magazine which went out of production, all I remember it was based in Brentwood. I've got a copy of it somewhere. 

It was built with the intention of being a steam/diesel era layout. there wasn't much modern stuff around in 1978! We had the Triang Brush 2, the Hornby Dublo Bo-Bo, Trix Warship and Western, Lima hadn't been invented, not had Mainline! Airfix were just getitng into things with their Brush 2 as well. Oh, and the Trix AL1, and a couple of not very accurate diesel shunters.

As the layout progressed more modern traction became available, so the layout never actually ran with any steam locos even in the early days. TriangHornby had just brought out the HST and things started to change.  Lima came along with some good for the era diesels and DMUs which led to a lot of conversions. Hornby with their Leyland National railbuses, Lima hopper wagons, Hornby MGR wagons etc. Spoilt for choice so we thought.

As the "modern image" became the norm (modern image being coined by Cyril Freezer in 1961) the layout changed with the times, track layout modernised, colour light signals, OHLE, etc. At one stage British Railways wanted to use the layout to be filmed for their signalling training programme as the signalling was ever so correct. Sadly nothing became of that.

Thanks for that 

I’ve been searching and I think the magazine you are on about is practical model railways  December 1986 edition 

think new annington was the first layout is saw a (I think ) class 321 emu and a a Mk3 DVT 

on 

Brian 

That sounds about right, Practical Model Railways. I done the write-up along with Nick Freezer. Len Weal took the photos. I've got a copy tucked away somewhere.

The 321s came along after my time in charge, I provided about 5 Trix AL1s, a couple of Hornby 86s and a Lima 87 when the wires went up! It was a fantastic layout to operate, always trying to keep something moving. 2 trains on the main lines, at least 1 could move on the branch, another into the local lines and another shunting the yard.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I think my layout (Called 'Emery Hill Station', set 1975-1984) fits this, haven't got any scenics down and only have one line across 2 baseboards right now though

(Sorry for the photos, they are the right way up just RMweb thinks otherwise and has flipped them)20240327_202237.jpg.5e4dd804ab5e130738504a058f1fdda3.jpg20240306_231918.jpg.de0ac56752012e233df63c9cf984b4f6.jpg

Edited by Emery Hill Station
  • Like 1

New Annington was indeed originally a steam-era layout. A double track main line with a double track branch. the main station based loosely on ECML London area. Local trains terminating from the city would run into a siding with a run-round loop, then cross over to the "towards London" local line to work back. Branch train could use the centre bay to reverse, loco uncouples, fresh loco runs in from the locos spur and takes train away up the branch. Fast trains go roundy-roundy. As it was about the tome Lima and others started producing "modern image" locos and stock and the layout builders were more into those than steam, it was never really run with steam, but diesel loco-hauled trains and DMUs.  bit later in its life the main platforms had to be extended to take 8 car HSTs and some track alterations made. eventually it gained OHLE which was designed so locos could run with pantographs actually touching the wires. Signalling was semi-automatic colour lights complete with route interlocking, so signals could not be cleared until a route was set. As trains passed the signals, they would return to danger and previous signal aspects would change automatically using relays and light-activated switches. All could be returned to danger individually. Drivers had to drive to the signals. It was very advanced for its era.

• Like 1

Photo 1 above, the original Frank Dyer plan scaled down; photo 2 a view from the countryside, the late Ian wood with his back to the camera operating the main panel, my first Mrs Treasure Gould driving on the main line; photo 3 the original hidden loops, on the right the dead-end sidings that served the local lines; photo 4. The "Mighty Wurlitzer" control panel for the main layout. Other panels were for the goods yard, local lines hidden sidings, another for the branch station and the hidden loops panel. Photo 5 New Annington station looking towards the loops; photo 6 A very puzzled me wondering what to do next. Note  the extension to the loops included an incline up to the branch terminus. the line had been re-opened since the Beeching cuts as a useful diversionary route for freight and HSTs. Ex mrs fixing things on the right. Photo 7 under the country side boards, a very heavy box construction was used. also note the ex USAF rotary relays used for point switching. they too were very heavy and were replaced with Old Pullman slow-motion machines. Sadly they are no longer available and were the forerunner to the Fulgerex machines. The loops had a further extension outwards with another 6 loops if I remember correctly.

• Like 1