21 members have voted

1. 1. What do you model? Please select your option

• BR Steam
    • BR Green
    • BR Blue
    • Sectorisation
    • Privisation (early eg. Intercity, Virgin CrossCountry)
    • Privisation (now-a-days eg. Virgin Trains)
    • Other
    • Continental (non-British)

Hello!

I've always wanted to know which era is more popular to you modellers out there.

Please can you take part in my poll, and select one of the answers only. There are multiple selections available, for those modellers modelling the change over from one era to another, and they can be found at the bottom.

If you have any questions, then please ask me.

Thank you very much for taking part, and I can't wait to see the result.

Cheers

Jack

• RMweb Gold

Hello!

I've always wanted to know which era is more popular to you modellers out there.

Please can you take part in my poll, and select one of the answers only. There are multiple selections available, for those modellers modelling the change over from one era to another, and they can be found at the bottom.

If you have any questions, then please ask me.

Thank you very much for taking part, and I can't wait to see the result.

Cheers

Jack

Sorry Jack! You haven't included the possibility of anyone modelling prior to 1948! At least have a button for "other" "none of the above" etc! Otherwise your poll is only going to refelct the modern image modellers, and they are by no means the only group here!

• RMweb Gold

I think it needs a bit of a rethink - not just the very pertinent commenbts above but possibly even deeper than that.

To illustrate my point - my interest is BR late steam/early diesel (not included in your list), centred on the Western Region (again nothing about area, and arguably that is as important as era especially in pre sectorisation days), set in Soth Wales (geogrpahical area might be of interest to some perhaps?

Thus you finish up with might be a far more complxe matrix than simple list of questions but it might provide more meaningful results (although I'm not entirely sure what/who for :huh:). So what exactly is the aim of the poll?

Sorry to sound critical but I'm trying to be helpful; if I were to complete a poll I would hope it would be for a reason, whether it's to receive 6 months supply of dog biscuits (admittedly of no use to our cat :D ) or to form a deeper knowledge of our hobby, orr to give manufacturers a clue about what might sell.

The reason I would like to know, and some other members out in the RMweb community may also want to know, is that I've seen loads of layouts, and very good ones around the website, and have wondered which era is most popular by modellers. What it does in my head, is that it tells me which was a good era, and the best one to model. Damn! I forgot about that! Sorry Mike! Thanks for the suggestion Al, but I think im leaving that selection out. Going for LMS, GWR etc, may make it a bigger, and more accurate poll, but I just really want to know which era is best. Thanks for your suggestions guys!

Guest dilbert

Thanks for the suggestion Al, but I think im leaving that selection out. Going for LMS, GWR etc, may make it a bigger, and more accurate poll, but I just really want to know which era is best.

Then why not use the era system that Bachmann produced (it's not perfect either)...dilbert

I just really want to know which era is best.

Well then try to ask a question that can reflect the answer.

All the heading are irrelevant to me, and I suspect an awful lot of others.

A typical "I model "modern" era and so must everyone else set of choices" - it is just like asking:

Do you model

1. Victoria era

2. Pre grouping

3. Modern

But even then it would be difficult as I don't really define my modeling interest to such small ideas.

I model predominantly GWR pre grouping - but have been known to show an interest in other companies, areas, periods.

Polls need to have valid alternate options or they are statistically useless, they do not represent a true cross section.

Tea Boy: Some are more popular.... yea, I would like to find that out.

I don't see what fuss is about. All I want to know, is which era is most popular for modelling. If Im wrong, and not having a go at anyone, can you please correct me?

Right.... its not as easy as I thought then..... I shall make this poll a 'multiple selection' poll. You guys may select as many as you can, as some of you may have more than 1 layout.

Anything else I need to change to make you happy guys?

I hope I don't offend anyone but hears what I have to say, I think 'having a go' at someone isn't going to get round the problem maybe 'constructive' criticism is a better way to put it ? we're only young so not everyone is perfect but I do agree Jack it needs a 'wider' scope so not everyone is left out hope this helps as I say I don't want to or mean to offend anyone just my opinion :unsure: :)

... whether it's to receive 6 months supply of dog biscuits (admittedly of no use to our cat :D )

Yes, they're ungrateful creatures arent they :D

The best era for modelling is the one that you feel that you wish to model.

Some are more popular, some have greater trade support, but they may not be the best for you.

I'd agree with this and similar sentiments - modelling something just because it's popular is a pretty flawed strategy. You'd do better taking a little time to look around (at the layouts on this site and in magazines, or at prototype reference sources. If you rush into a decision you'll almost certainly end up finding something you like better in a few months

All I want to know, is which era is most popular for modelling.

My point was/is that you are never going to obtain an answer to your question unless you ask the question as inclusive of ALL eras and not a selective era that is in fact not an era at all just a term such as BR Green.

It is not that I disagree with the idea of a poll to determine the answer to that question - it is just that the question does not cover all eras (if such a thing can be defined) "for modellers".

Perhaps a different way of looking at it would be to split the check boxes into simple 20 year periods from the start of railways to-date. Then voters can select the periods covered. It is amazing to see when you do this just how biased the modelling community has become with the belief that everything best about railways has happened in the last 40 years. With nearly all of the RTR market leading the modelling public into the mould they create, or the modelling public tending to only that within their living memory.

Right.... decided this isn't such a good idea.... got so many things wrong. Can we just stop, and I will close the poll.

That is NOT what I wanted.

As I said I was not against such a poll - it just needed refining to get the answer to your question.

BR Green is not an era. Is is a general term that is used to cover a particular type of livery - of which most of the other terms represent. BR steam does cover an era (1948 - ~1968) a number of BR steam locos were painted green. Railway modelling does not include only post nationalisation.

Perhaps it was just the question that required rewording. something more along the lines of "To all who model post-nationalisation, which of the following best describes your modelling interest?" with apologies to all those who model pre-nationalisation for being excluded.

I'll lock the topic as there's another poll on the go. I wouldn't say anyone's told you off Jack, more a case of trying to offer some assistance and constructive criticism which is helping to produce a more accurate poll and hence results for you.

Anyway, no need to be sorry either.

Archived