Detail Shots

Raffles

Some excellent photos here but with some its hard to tell if what you are seeing is a reflection or not - Ive been looking for some good close up shots of the engine room windows or better still views inside........I will certainly use these pics for reference purposes on other details though.

Thanks Pugsley. Yes I can see what you mean. I found this drawing today and as you say my "suspension" beam is an equalising beam.

post-17804-0-32597800-1358963239.jpg

The two outer axle boxes appear to be attached by a pivot to the equalising beam. What about the centre box? Is the beam attached in a similar manner to the centre axle box or is it attached to the frame?

• Like 2

What about the centre box? Is the beam attached in a similar manner to the centre axle box or is it attached to the frame?

I suspect, but don't know for sure, that if the beams are secured to the outer boxes by a pivot, then they fit in the stirrup under the central axlebox, which just bears on them, and aren't secured in there. Edited by Pugsley

Yes I think you are right. Only the front box is attached by means of a pivot. For the central box the beam enters a box like structure beneath the axle box as can be seen in this photo that I found on Flikr.post-17804-0-47383900-1359058845.jpg

This is a photo of a couple of guys painting a class47 and it does show the beam entering into an opening beneath the axle box.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I stumbled across this selection of pictures showing the internals of a class 47.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25566302@N00/sets/72157605564026031/with/3299086825/

Please note that they are not my images and are copy righted Only posted the link as they might be of interest to the members.

Enjoy

Terry

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again. Can anyone tell me what the dimensions of the buffer beam are in the Class47. This is a front view, but it is difficult to judge what happens behind the buffers. I believe the buffers are 22" in diameter. 

post-17804-0-27540200-1360787101_thumb.jpg

It looks as though it should be about 7' 6" wide.

• Like 1

Hi again. Can anyone tell me what the dimensions of the buffer beam are in the Class47. This is a front view, but it is difficult to judge what happens behind the buffers. I believe the buffers are 22" in diameter. 

attachicon.gifDSCF2614 front view-reduced.jpg

It looks as though it should be about 7' 6" wide.

Hi,

On a cut away one (only one I dimensions for) it is 211.5cm wide x 50cm heigh.

post-7290-0-46794300-1361309971_thumb.jpg

post-7290-0-65950000-1361309964_thumb.jpg

HTH

Cheers

Tom

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thought you might like to see what progress I am making with my Gauge 1 model of a Class 47. To date I am part way through making the two bogies.post-17804-0-94299800-1365690526_thumb.jpg

The side frames are machined from 6mm brass. There are two electric motors to each bogie. I am in the process of making the brake lever details for each bogie - there are a lot of bits!!!

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 month later...

Making progress slowly. I now have a chassis and cab framework. There is a 6V lead acid battery in the middle. I think 6V should be enough; it would be a simple matter to change it for a 12V battery. From the motor spec. I will need about 4.8V to achieve a scale maximum speed of 80mph.

post-17804-0-95746000-1369315556_thumb.jpg

I need now to complete the radio control circuitry to see if it runs.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just been reading some of the threads on 3D printing, and it has got me thinking that it could be a way of making the roof. There is a lot of detail on the class 47 roof which would be difficult to scratch build.

But it would be nice to get hold of some decent drawings. Does anyone know of a source for the class47. Up to now I have been using photographs.

• 9 months later...

I stumbled across this selection of pictures showing the internals of a class 47.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25566302@N00/sets/72157605564026031/with/3299086825/

Please note that they are not my images and are copy righted Only posted the link as they might be of interest to the members.

Enjoy

Terry

Interesting shots of poor old 540 there - don't forget though 540 was ex-Research at one point, hence various blanking plates for removed MW gear on the front, plus odd buttons and bits and pieces in the cab as well. Had a good look round her when she was still in Crewe South Yard and we were securing 524. Shame she's in the state she's in now, although if I recall correctly inspection showed the generator had virtually melted.

Chris

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Front view of 47579 at Medstead on the Mid Hants yesterday. 

This is one has the Stratford variations on the rail blue livery including red buffer beams, silver roof and buffers and non-standard larger numbers. 

488A8208-8463-459B-A954-BE148A076B3D.jpeg

• 7 months later...