4 hours ago, class37418stag said:

Hello thanks Simon 

i believe that from Sheffield BOC tank lorry delivered to Rotherham steel work by no need train

The oxygen to Rotherham/Aldwarke may have been delivered by pipeline. There still exists an oxygen pipeline that runs partly along the canal that goes parallel to the former Great Central lines between the Tinsley/Broughton Lane area and the Rotherham area. Definitely an oxygen pipeline, as it's got the word 'oxygen' painted on, and it also has BOC cathodic protection boxes at intervals.

Pictured here at Rotherham in 2017 

1063061941_OxygenpipelineRotherham.jpg.b5ca9a3a5c87c251c4366797f3fb3676.jpg

Another photo, same place, looking the other way, when they were wiring with road-railers for the tram-train. Arrow showing the "oxygen" marking.

982614524_MoreoxygenRotherham.jpg.9048da626a550586cd144ecef648fb85.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
added picture
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know details of the tanker movements serving the BOC sidings at Polmadie?  On Paul Bartlett's excellent website all the wagons pictured at Mossend in the '80s were nitrogen tanks (and I assume that the BOC plant next to Ravenscraig steelworks was supplying oxygen for Scottish customers, so presumably there was no need to ship oxygen up from Ditton).  I'm therefore assuming that the nitrogen flow was Ditton-Polmadie, and also and that the tanks would have ran in Speedlink trains to Mossend and been tripped to Polmadie rather than running as a block train?  There is a pic on PB's website showing a cut of six tanks being shunted at Mossend attached to a VGA, which suggests a Speedlink movement. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/05/2011 at 22:13, APOLLO said:

They also ran from Widnes to Sheffield area via Warrington Bank Quay (Low Level), Latchford, Lymm, Altrincham, Godley, then via Woodhead to Sheffield.

Block trains. usually class 40 hauled to Godley, where electrics took over. Ran till the late 70's if I remember correctly.

Have a look at the GIF at the bottom of this website main page - one sometimes runs past !!

http://www.thewoodheadsite.org.uk/

Brit15

This flow ran well into the early 80s via Northenden  Stockport Guidebridge then via the hope valley quite often drew a class 40 headed by  a class 25 as far as stockport  or Guidebridge  where it would come of and go back light . in later times they would muster a solo 56 only have one pic and thats an unidentified 56 on the empty return working at Edgeley JN 

EPSON005-2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 year later...

hi

i was wondering if any body could clear up a couple of questions regarding the BOC tanker workings.

DId the plant at Ditton/Widnes supply both liquid oxygen and liquid nitrogen?

Would a rake or block workings have mixed wagons, some nitrogen some oxygen?

Would the waggons with nitrogen writen on the side be used to carry oxygen but with the Haz chem symbols changed?

I model late 80s/mid 90s would the band colour matter yellow or red/orange?

Thank you

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 08/08/2019 at 14:20, peanuts said:

This flow ran well into the early 80s via Northenden  Stockport Guidebridge then via the hope valley quite often drew a class 40 headed by  a class 25 as far as stockport  or Guidebridge  where it would come of and go back light . in later times they would muster a solo 56 only have one pic and thats an unidentified 56 on the empty return working at Edgeley JN 

EPSON005-2.jpg

Hi

The tanks in that picture look like the Anhydrous Ammonia ones rather than the BOC tanks.

Cheers

Paul

• Agree 1