TOWER MODELS

tomstaf

Hi all,

I find myself frustrated and also bemused by the Tower Models bullish attitude. I read their blog with increasing scepticism. It seems to be ever more angry and reliant of scare mongering in order for return. The scare mongering for example:

> 'First come first served'

> Once gone they are gone.'

The anger:

> 'A REALITY CHECK ON CUSTOMER EXPECTATIONS... there appears to be a growing number of people in the model railway fraternity who expect perfection for a pitance of a price.'

> 'we will no longer be attending Warley exhibition at the NEC later in the year. The stand rent is ridiculous...'

Well in the same vane as their reason (the economic downturn) has effected both sellers and buyers. I don't see how the last two comments can possibly be reconciled. Surely they need encouraging custom in every form. Why do they employ such tactics?

I went to the reading show last year where they had the new HJ Class 33 openly on display. This was the first time that I had seen it in the flesh and was keen to examine it a bit closer. Particularly as I was at the show, which was a useful venue for sourcing any extra bits that I might want to add on to it. I asked to see it's underside but was curtly 'no'. I then mentioned I had placed an order with them, which was met with a slightly calmer response but the no still stood because they didn't want to get fingerprints on it. Surely the purpose of a trader bringing a model to a show and placing it on display out if it's box is meant to invite examination? The order was subsequently cancelled and placed with another retailer.

More recently I sent an email request through. The only word in the response was 'no'. So in their own words (taken slightly out of context), perhaps: 'This action will also prevent people buying... off us'!

I wondered if anyone else has dealt with them, good or bad?

Tom

> 'First come first served'

> Once gone they are gone.'

They do tend to talk as if they are the only possible source of certain models - which perhaps in some instances they are - but not all!!

I've not actually dealt with them either at Shows/online, as I have decided the cost of British O Scale as a whole is now beyond me, despite it being a really nice scale to model in. <_< :(

you will always get dealers like that.... in any trade.

I mean me and my family, between us, we collect Hornby O gauge, Tinplate toys, diecast toy cannons, Led figures to name but a few... and we have to deal with all different types of dealer and seller all the time, and we can say that we have encountered such minded vendors whilst purchasing our other collectibles. sometimes you just have to put up with it, if they have a specimen of something that is perfect for your collection, and you want to buy it, I wouldn't the attitude stop me, I would buy what I want then go! :laugh:

The anger:

> 'A REALITY CHECK ON CUSTOMER EXPECTATIONS... there appears to be a growing number of people in the model railway fraternity who expect perfection for a pitance of a price.'

> 'we will no longer be attending Warley exhibition at the NEC later in the year. The stand rent is ridiculous...'

Well in the same vane as their reason (the economic downturn) has effected both sellers and buyers. I don't see how the last two comments can possibly be reconciled. Surely they need encouraging custom in every form. Why do they employ such tactics?

You yourself used the word 'scaremongering', I'd suggest that tagging these comments as 'anger' is in itself spin and sensationalism. I have no axe to grind either way as regards Tower, but all I see there is a forthright statement of feeling - 'strong words, softly spoken' if you like. And I doubt they're alone - in any contentious situation there will always be folk who say what others are thinking.

The comments can be reconciled quite easily AFAIC, I think your view of it is quite simplistic. There's a chain of supply here, so to speak, to the end user from the trader and in turn from the exhibition organiser, with all three feeling the pinch and quite naturally, trying to get as much as possible for their money. Tower is obviously in the middle, being dragged both ways. Modellers expect better deals because of the economy ATM, but they are the least likely part of that chain to have a decent grasp of commercial realities. End users (in any business) often have the strange notion that any business is good business, but it's not good business if it's carried out at a loss. At the other end, Tower find themselves taking the difficult decision to pull out of one of the hobby's showcase exhibitions because that too is trying to maximise its assets. Obviously they feel aggrieved about the rents, but whether that's justified or not probably isnt for us to judge.

You often see deals saying "First come first served" and "When they are gone they are gone" so whats the big deal. I can also sympathise in some way as to not allowing the model to be handled to much as nothing looks worse than a presentation model that looks like it has been round the world twice. Lighten up

I have only been to the shop once, and received courteous service, if though I was not buying there and then.

It sounds like shows are not their thing and they were a bit behind with their emails to answer with 1 word.

I personally would cut them a bit of slack.

I have usually used their excellent mail order service only buying from them direct at the 0 Gauge Guild show TELFORD. I have always found them to be most helpful and friendly, so I'm surprised to see them slated.

Mike

I've not directly dealt with them, though my Dad's ordered a couple of items on my behalf from them and had no problems.

I can sympathise with their feelings about Warley. Even eight years ago when I was trading there it was an expensive weekend. I suspect many modellers would be surprised to know how much it cost for two people and a small stand for the weekend even then!

The show does, however, provide a wonderful opportunity to reach many thousands of modellers face to face (along with business, I found, after the show too) but if it doesn't pay then I'm afraid you don't go. And if you have a big stand and sveral members of staff, plus accomodation, meals, transport, badgers etc to pay for you need to take a lot of money over the course of a few hours over the weekend.

You yourself used the word 'scaremongering', I'd suggest that tagging these comments as 'anger' is in itself spin and sensationalism. I have no axe to grind either way as regards Tower, but all I see there is a forthright statement of feeling - 'strong words, softly spoken' if you like. And I doubt they're alone - in any contentious situation there will always be folk who say what others are thinking.

The comments can be reconciled quite easily AFAIC, I think your view of it is quite simplistic. There's a chain of supply here, so to speak, to the end user from the trader and in turn from the exhibition organiser, with all three feeling the pinch and quite naturally, trying to get as much as possible for their money. Tower is obviously in the middle, being dragged both ways. Modellers expect better deals because of the economy ATM, but they are the least likely part of that chain to have a decent grasp of commercial realities. End users (in any business) often have the strange notion that any business is good business, but it's not good business if it's carried out at a loss. At the other end, Tower find themselves taking the difficult decision to pull out of one of the hobby's showcase exhibitions because that too is trying to maximise its assets. Obviously they feel aggrieved about the rents, but whether that's justified or not probably isnt for us to judge.

Hi Ian,

I don't think I phrased my earlier comment well. I don't begrudge them for chosing to pull out of shows or anything that is not profitable for them. It's plain common sense that a business wouldn't put yourself in such a position. It was the tone which irked me. There are several posts on their thread in similar vane, which made me comment.

Cheers

Tom

• RMweb Premium

I find it sometimes helps if you assume that you are in an episode of "Open all Hours", and you're dealing with Ronnie Barker. Unless it's John Cleese.

Have found Tower Models to be always helpful when it comes to supplying things and answering e mails.

Also their bring to show to collect service is always useful. I have asked for two small items to be collected at Halifax next weekend, total cost of items £14.00, and it was no problems for them.

I have had many dealings with Tower Models and always find Dave & Roger a pleasure to deal with. They were recently saying about people ordering the Heljan GUV's as if Heljan did not get indications from retailers of orders being placed they would not go into production. I suspect Heljan consider Tower Models a very good barometer of interest in their "O" Gauge products as its likely they are their best customer for their "O" Gauge products.Its therefore in my interest to know that my money talks and if I want the Heljan GUV produced place an order,otherwise I may not bother and then regret it when I discover its not being produced.

Tower Models have also always provided me with excellent After Sales Service. I find them a first class retailer,but if not I would go elsewhere.

Regards,Del.

• 1 month later...

Hi Tom

I also have read their 'news' section with some bemusement and head shaking. Someone else has replied here that perhaps it is a bullish attitude to a depressed market. As an internet retailer, (not model railways), I would certainly not use the tone that some of the news postings have. They come across to me at least as a "we are doing you a favour and more fool you if you miss out" attitude. That talking down to your customers way of putting things is never good business practice in my book. Does the item below mean those who did not buy are slow or daft, the last sentence was unnecessary in my view and exactly what your post is about.

NEWS 8th July 2011

Tower Collection Class 42/43 Warship Kit.

In regard to the Tower Collection limited re-run of the Warship, we have now completely sold out of these, it is highly unlikely we will ever do a re-run. Well done to all those who jumped in and took advantage of this special re-run.

I am sure that with the many positive comments of Tower Models excellent customer service also on this thread that this rather strange and almost antagonistic attitude is not meant in the way it sometimes comes across. It is possibly just over enthusiasm running away with the keyboard!

Andy

I've been dealing with Tower Models for about five years now, and have nothing but praise for them. I have pretty much purchased most of my O gauge collection from them, and have always received great after purchase advice when required.

I do agree that the Blog is a bit 'this is what you see, this is what you get', but I do sort of take that abit tonge in cheek! It has to be said they have been a major driving force behind the rise in RTR O gauge locomotives and rolling stock, and I can imagine the frustration of people (dreamers rather than customers) being very quick to give them a wish list, but then very slow to actually put their hand in their pocket. I think their blog is meant with good intentions, so their customers can have the chance of getting the most out of their hobby.

I can also imagine, that seeing as they have done some really decent clearance deals in the past, they get frustrated that some people expect that all items when stocks get low should go that way, and forget that Tower in all fairness don't owe that to the customers seeing as Dave & Co, actually have a living to make out of this as well!

To their credit, Tower are always VERY quick to give their customers the heads up on when price rises are happening due to increased labour/materials, and their deals on Parkside wagons kits bought in bulk are also appreciated. Their mail order service is also excellent, quite a few times I've purchased an item/or items to warrent free delivery and as long as the order was in before 2pm, it was pretty much on my door step the next day.

I have also gone to them and asked whether they would do modifications on their existing RTR range of locos, and as long as it wasn't too complex they were more than happy to get their workshop to fabricate a few extra items to change the variation of a loco.

Overall, I've had very positive experiences with Tower, and I can honestly say that they have probably been a big influence on what I have bought and in what quantites.

Cheers,

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tom

I also have read their 'news' section with some bemusement and head shaking. Someone else has replied here that perhaps it is a bullish attitude to a depressed market. As an internet retailer, (not model railways), I would certainly not use the tone that some of the news postings have. They come across to me at least as a "we are doing you a favour and more fool you if you miss out" attitude. That talking down to your customers way of putting things is never good business practice in my book. Does the item below mean those who did not buy are slow or daft, the last sentence was unnecessary in my view and exactly what your post is about.

NEWS 8th July 2011

Tower Collection Class 42/43 Warship Kit.

In regard to the Tower Collection limited re-run of the Warship, we have now completely sold out of these, it is highly unlikely we will ever do a re-run. Well done to all those who jumped in and took advantage of this special re-run.

I am sure that with the many positive comments of Tower Models excellent customer service also on this thread that this rather strange and almost antagonistic attitude is not meant in the way it sometimes comes across. It is possibly just over enthusiasm running away with the keyboard!

Andy

I only dabble in O gauge a little but when I have done, I have found Tower Models to be very approachable (at exhibitions), very willing to listen and discuss things and some of the character of the people involved comes across on their web pages.

I can't help but think that people are being very sensitive and are reading way too much into things. Without the ease of "having a pop" on an internet forum would anybody have put pen to paper over this. I think not!

Congratulating customers on taking advantage of limited availability of a product. How can that possibly be taken as an insult to everybody who didn't buy one! Tower Models probably took a bit of a financial risk doing a re-run of an old kit and must be delighted that their customers made it worthwhile for them. Anybody who takes it as a "dig" against people who didn't make the purchase is reading something into it that just is not there!

It is like a report on a cricket match, which says that a particular player had a brilliant match. Are the other 10 players supposed to sulk because their contributions were not mentioned in such glowing terms?

If anybody wants to spend their time doing some amateur analysis of what people meant when they wrote something, can I respectfully suggest that they perhaps contact the people who wrote it (in this case Tower Models) and ask the about it rather than trying to stir ill feeling in a thread like this one.

These sorts of comments/threads really do represent the worst kind of internet forum nit picking!

Archived