Dalry Road

60B

So as you will know, I've not had much luck with getting projects off the ground but I will try this time (I swear guv). I recently moved to Edinburgh and my bedroom looks out onto Western Approach Road. So with that in mind I hunted down the actual location of Dalry Road and some pictures and came across this modelable scene: R0187 - Dalry Road Shed I had been considering something gritty and Edinburgh based since moving here and this seems to be perfect. Its difficult to tell if the two road shed at the front is attached or even close to the four road in the background so any pictures or info on such would be much appreciated.

Guest stuartp

Paul, There's a track plan of Dalry Road in LMS Engine Sheds Vol. 5 by Hawkins & Reeve. Assuming I've got it the right way up, the nearer shed is labelled Repair Shop and the farther is the Engine Shed. The two are a little way apart and not parallel either, the gap between them widens towards the left of that photo.

There is a lean-to on the far side of the repair shop housing a machine shop, stores and office. Beyond the two roads of the repair shop itself is another siding terminating short of this lean-to, then a siding alongside the engine shed opening out to the left into two sidings in the gap between the engine shed and the repair shop.

The distance between the corner of the repair shop those two fitters are leaning on and the wall of the engine shed is about 75 feet according to the scale on the plan.

post-270-0-94861900-1306604195_thumb.jpg

That "Repair" shed was the first shed opened at Dalry Road and was the original Running shed (b.1848)

It was used as a repair shed following the opening of the second shed (b.1874) (not on that plan above) which was located in front (SE) of that shed - the tracks in between leading to the turntable positions south of the "Repair" shed and immediate to the left. The loose track in the bottom of stuartp's diagram led to the turntable (though there were other access tracks) This shed was converted to a wagon workshop probably at the time the larger shed was built and eventually demolished c.1930.

The 4t dead-ended shed is not the original. That was opened in 1895 and demolished in 1911 to be replaced approximately on the same site by a longer brick built 4 track dead-ended shed. There was initially only one track between the "repair" shed and this shed but was later made into 2 parallel tracks. The turntable had been removed by 1944 and the access roads extended into sidings.

The repair shed was "converted back" to a running shed in LMS days. During the early 1960's it was used for diesel loco servicing and the main shed deteriorated with the loss of much of the roof. (as seen in that photo)

On Oct 3,1965 the depot was closed and it had been demolished early in 1966.

It is interesting to note that the longest surviving shed in use here was the timber built structure !

Now that I'm back on my computer, thank you very much guys, a huge help. In the photo with the 17, I can't mke out the lean to and photos of it are seemingly non existent so I suspect I will have to get a copy of the Hawkins and Reeve book. Time for some actual work.

• 9 years later...