Waverley's Most Wanted

'CHARD

Well, if there was a bounty on anyone's head for the senseless destruction of the Waverley it would be the axis of evil, Marsh and Castle, with Beeching and Marples close behind. But I don't mean Waverley's Most Wanted in that sense.

No, this is a new thread for parking those Holy Grail items, places or cameos that have eluded Waverlites since 6th January '69, instead becoming entrenched in legend and folklore.

In no particular order, here's my Top Ten. Please feel free to add the ones I've missed, and I'll keep this thread fairly close-cropped, so we have a target for research up to date at any given time. To close these out and remove them we really need a photo, although some will probably be information requests that can be answered with signalbox records, track diagrams, official documents, meeting minutes or BR publications.

1. A Class 50 anywhere between Canal Jct and Millerhill (photo)
  2. A Class 27 on a service train (photo)
  3. Shank Bridge over the A7 (between Lady Victoria Pit and Gorebridge)
  4. Stainton Crossing and S/B
  5. Fauldmoor Crossing
  6. Bush-on-Esk Crossing(s)
  7. An 'Up' car train between Longtown and Carlisle post '63
  8. A Longtown trip freight in 1970
  9. The last through Brit, November '67
  10. Last Langholm steam, "late" '67
  11. RAC Rally competitors at Kershopefoot or Newcastleton in November 1967 or '68 en route Kielder

There are mine, now over to the crew....

Well, if there was a bounty on anyone's head for the senseless destruction of the Waverley it would be the axis of evil, Marsh and Castle, with Beeching and Marples close behind. But I don't mean Waverley's Most Wanted in that sense.

No, this is a new thread for parking those Holy Grail items, places or cameos that have eluded Waverlites since 6th January '69, instead becoming entrenched in legend and folklore.

In no particular order, here's my Top Ten. Please feel free to add the ones I've missed, and I'll keep this thread fairly close-cropped, so we have a target for research up to date at any given time. To close these out and remove them we really need a photo, although some will probably be information requests that can be answered with signalbox records, track diagrams, official documents, meeting minutes or BR publications.

1. [8] A Longtown trip freight in 1970

There are mine, now over to the crew....

best I can do. Bruce

Bruce, there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

We see a TTGFYE Class 25 - so beloved of another popular RMWeb group, a Bedford dropside artic of repute, and what looks like the progressive decay of the unloved station fencing. I am inferring that this is indeed the 'auspicious' occasion of the road-railer trials, and this is possibly the only graphic image related to the sadly futile BURC rescue attempt for the line. Waiting on the southbound A7 looks like an ERF hauling something that by rights should be passing on 4M42 behind a Class 40.

A thought-provoking cameo on a dismal looking day, next to a gloomy and neglected railway trunk route. Thanks for sharing.

Guest Max Stafford

1. Southern end of Ninestanerig cutting looking north with Leap on the skyline - that would be a particular Holy Grail of mine, especially with a V2 having just stormed past!

2. Diverted West Coast services in the mid 1950s.

3. Kingmoor Siding (NB).

4. Banker using the crossover at Whitrope.

5. General views of Canal Yard.

6. Opposite bank shots of trains in open country on the Newcastleton - Penton section.

Dave.

Oh, we like (clip of assembled Waverlites clapping...)

Those will be edited-in mate, some very good calls there (they've triggered a couple more of mine), and I hope I won't upset you too much by linking this abuse of aforesaid trailing crossover (your No.4 Most Wanted):

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=27728

Ooh, it's teasingly related to your No.2 MW, and the subject matter is irresistible; ECML diversion in 1967, photographed at Shankend without a stone arch in sight, it's 64B's finest, D1970 in classy as-built GSYP:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=27278

1. Southern end of Ninestanerig cutting looking north with Leap on the skyline - that would be a particular Holy Grail of mine, especially with a V2 having just stormed past!

How about the same view but with a southbound working? .. From memory I think it's 78049 piloting a Clayton (or a pair of them) .. not sure whose photo it is so unsure of copyright.

I have mentioned this before. Just gone through the Langholm photos and that has reminded me.

A clear view of the turntable at Langholm.

Better still a photo with a loco actually being turned.

Now I realy am talking about the Holy Grail. :lol:

Bernard

Guest Max Stafford

How about the same view but with a southbound working? .. From memory I think it's 78049 piloting a Clayton (or a pair of them) .. not sure whose photo it is so unsure of copyright.

Oh, stop yer teasin', Matt! ;)

This is the view I had in mind albeit it little further uphill so Leap has a more visible presence on the skyline, but imagine how it would have been 50 years ago without the tree cover and with the thunder of that V2 - awesome! I think I need to take up painting and drawing again!

Dave.

post-6676-0-67670800-1306795048_thumb.jpg

Have attached it as a low res image .. I'm still not sure whose copyright it is.

Historically it's an amazing image, I certainly don't recall seeing many other photos taken from that end of the cutting looking north.

post-7852-0-69442000-1306826332_thumb.jpg

One of my "most wanted" was a photo of something (anything!) taken from above the north portal of Whitrope Tunnel ... and amazingly just a couple of years ago this little gem (a medium format negative) appeared on ebay along with copyright. A V2 heading south, about to enter the tunnel. Hope to get the loco ID once I do a hi-res scan.

The two smudged areas upper left & lower right are simply covering a watermark from the ebay seller on his scan ... I've not got round to actually scanning the thing in properly yet, must do it soon!

post-7852-0-33358200-1306852651_thumb.jpg

Oh. Above the north portal is very special turf indeed. About as remote as it's possible to get anywhere on the Waverley, let alone the ScR.

Anyone do similar for Bowshank - either end?

EDIT: Were you the only bidder, Matt? Only I recall seeing that when it was listed and I can't remember if I bid for it or not!

Were you the only bidder, Matt? Only I recall seeing that when it was listed and I can't remember if I bid for it or not!

I honestly can't remember ... it's a while ago now, so the listing will have disappeared and I really don't know ... I can't even recall what I paid for it!

Not on the list, but I've never seen this view into Galashiels station and its environs before, with what looks like an NCL trailer waiting by the platform. Plenty of buildings at Gala to get one's teeth into - oh for more modelling space and I'd be all over this station like a cheap suit.

Oozing atmosphere from a website I'd not seen until now.

http://www.oldgalacl...%20Entrance.jpg

And the other never-seen but oft-imagined Ladhope Vale angle, with NB loco in evidence.

http://www.oldgalaclub.org.uk/images/R%20Railway%20at%20Ladhope%20Vale.jpg

Guest Max Stafford

That's no ordinary NB loco sir, that's a Reid Atlantic! One of these bore the stirring name, Teribus. All the others bar this one had names that ended up on the side of A1s. Teribus could have made a good fictional 60163, had some individuals not built a real one! :lol:

Dave.

Hello to everyone on this superb forum, I've recently joined after a tip off from my brother Matt.

On the topic of most wanted, I've seen very few pictures of trains on the picturesque section of the line between Stobs and Shankend viaduct, possibly due the remoteness of the valley away from any public roads. It is one of my favourite stretches of the Waverley Route and a lovely walk as there are still a few remnants of the railway remaining including a few of the characteristic overbridges as well as the now-derelict Primrose Cottages. Does anybody know of any phots taken there back in the day?

Hello to everyone on this superb forum, I've recently joined after a tip off from my brother Matt.

On the topic of most wanted, I've seen very few pictures of trains on the picturesque section of the line between Stobs and Shankend viaduct, possibly due the remoteness of the valley away from any public roads. It is one of my favourite stretches of the Waverley Route and a lovely walk as there are still a few remnants of the railway remaining including a few of the characteristic overbridges as well as the now-derelict Primrose Cottages. Does anybody know of any phots taken there back in the day?

That's a measure of the man, he chooses this thread for his first post :drinks:

Welcome, brother! And what a choice of username!

I'm immersed in 26power's old map link at present, and I think I've just found another industrial line, more anon... But to briefly answer you, the only one I've seen for definite is of the derailed Presflos, and that's only in Shankend cutting, I think the next ones on open plain line that I can recall off-hand are up at Flex. However, Bruce may well know different, if ever there was a photographer... ;)

• RMweb Premium

Not on the list, but I've never seen this view into Galashiels station and its environs before, with what looks like an NCL trailer waiting by the platform. Plenty of buildings at Gala to get one's teeth into - oh for more modelling space and I'd be all over this station like a cheap suit.

Oozing atmosphere from a website I'd not seen until now.

http://www.oldgalacl...%20Entrance.jpg

And the other never-seen but oft-imagined Ladhope Vale angle, with NB loco in evidence.

http://www.oldgalaclub.org.uk/images/R%20Railway%20at%20Ladhope%20Vale.jpg

I'd agree on that, but a little further down the main buildings showing what the south end of them at the rear was like.

A clear view of the whole of the roadside at St Boswells and then for me its going onto the branches. Ie

A clear photo of the yard area where the engine shed was at Peebles or even more rare a clear view of the old terminus and finally another it appears impossible one, the rear of the aditional building on the main platform at Kelso. There are photos of the rear of the station building but not the additional square bit that was demolished by 69

2. Diverted West Coast services in the mid 1950s.

3. Kingmoor Siding (NB).

4. Banker using the crossover at Whitrope.

5. General views of Canal Yard.

6. Opposite bank shots of trains in open country on the Newcastleton - Penton section.

Dave.

Here's some more

7. The breakdown crane lifting the derailed class 20 at Langholm and the loco that brought the crane in

8. A B1 (or anything other than J35, 36 or 4MT in the 50's / 60's) on the Langholm branch (no evidence to support this just a picture somewhere of a B1 on the Newcastleton goods)

Colin

Guest Max Stafford

Fauldmoor crossing is proving a rare bird indeed. A work colleague actually lives in the old crossing keeper's house and asked if I could keep a special look out for a photo of the place in its service days. Apparently the crossing was operated with priority to trains and would only be opened to road traffic upon request provided the line was clear. This still takes place at some locations.

Dave.

No, I haven't lost it, I know 1S68 is the Thames-Clyde not the Thames-Forth but...

This pic of the former (in fact there are two shots at the end of the link) shows a gorgeously filthy Peak rushing through closed and decaying Edwalton station on what is now the Old Dalby test track. Was The Waverley also routed this way into Nottingham because if so, it explains the reversal pattern - or lack of - during the train's long journey. I confess I had completely forgotten about this line despite having fairly intimate knowledge of it, so entrenched in my mind is its test and research function.

I've convinced myself now, the Waverley ran this way via Edwalton - I wonder did 60 (or her replacement from Leeds) traverse the line too, around 6.00 am on January 6th 1969; a still in motion train that had started its long journey over a line now growing dead and cold.....

http://www.old-dalby...lyde%201967.jpg

http://www.old-dalby...lyde%201967.jpg

Was The Waverley also routed this way into Nottingham because if so, it explains the reversal pattern - or lack of - during the train's long journey. I confess I had completely forgotten about this line despite having fairly intimate knowledge of it, so entrenched in my mind is its test and research function.

Here you are, 'CHARD, from further along that line http://www.old-dalby.com/Plumtree.htm - top 2 pictures on the right-hand column. Yes, the 'Waverley' ran that way.

Archived