Cavs Workbench

Hi well since i have a few things on the go I thought it might be time to start a workbench thread. These are a couple of recent ones if anyones interested. Ill get some pics of the 37s mentioned on the 37/7 thread soon also.

post-6894-0-53809500-1306621115_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-45378800-1306621151_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-91326300-1306621190_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-34245800-1306621235_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-90345500-1306621272_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Cav

I like what you've done with the BDAs, but the colour of the decks lets them down IMO. A bit of extra work painting the deck would make a massive difference - they're generally a lot lighter than the moulded deck of the Bachmann model, such as here:

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/B-tops-codes/BDA-Bogie-Bolster-wagons/BDA950263Newport250805a/1249614687_PSz6c-L.jpg

Hope you don't mind the constructive criticism, the straps are a nice touch.

I dont mind constructive critism it helps improve things no end. Ive seen these wagons very varied though. The photo i had showed quite a dark deck, bit greasy too actually. I see what you are saying but the picture youve linked to shows only the bolsters really and that example appears to have had them covered in metal flashings or similar in a light grey colour which is what you can see. I would love to see some really good shots of the decks of some BDAs empty though so that these could be improved further.

Cheers

Cav

The grey on the bolsters is actually the wood, have a look at an old untreated wooden fence to get an idea of the colours involved. There were a few good deck shots on Wagons on the Web, but that's down at the moment for reasons unknown.

I'll pm you a couple of the pics I saved from there.

Yeah i agree with the wood thing. I looked at the pic last night on my phone and it wasn't so clear. I know of the graying of certain woods but not all wood goes that way. Cedar is one that particularly goes grey. In fact it is used architectually because of this but thats another thread altogether. What wood is used to deck these wagons i wonder? This pic shows the deck appearing as a rusty brown colour, maybe the deck has been replaced with metal on this one i dont know, and bolster tops are brown wood not grey though.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z58/iandelg/Wagons/BEA-950653.jpg

i am interested in giving them some stick though so if you have any deck pics that would be great.

Cheers

Cav

Yeah, that pic is one of the ones that has had a metal deck put in instead of the wood, they seem to be spread at random between the BDAs and BEAs. One more thing to bear in mind when looking for photos of the decks, but you can normally tell by the absence of the gaps between the planks.

Yeah it was the absence of plank gaps that gave it away to me. I was more interested in the brown wood bolster tops though for my point. I am however going to grey woodify mine today after seeing the pics of the decks to sent me. Ill post updates later!

Cheers

Cav

Hi mate, there looking pretty dam good, i like the colour differences in the wood, think it breaks the grey up and also gives the impression of renewed wooden parts.

And the 56's look fantastic, gotta get me one of those biggrin.gif

great work mate

Neil

Cheers guys. I was a bit lazy with those bdas and getting a clip round the lug hole certainly keeps things in check. Anyway I promised the 37/7 guys some pics of my reworking of my vitrains 37/7. Here is 37 707 still awaiting plaques and weathering. As you can see the hand cut flush glazing makes a great difference. I believe that shawplan do a laserglaze for this loco for those not wanting to hand cut.

post-6894-0-76789100-1307141448_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-65278300-1307141495_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Cav

Nice work on 37/7 Cav. Did you repaint the loco or just touch them in when you took the mainline logo off? Or have you found a method for painfree vitrains decal removal? Either way cracking job and I do like the discreet coupling hook allowing detailing to be fitted.

Guy

I just did a partial repaint of the flint grey as i only damaged that colour. The rail grey was ok. I had to mix the paint though as the flint grey i had was slightly darker. Its come out pretty good though i think. As for the coupling that was an idea i got off of this site. Cant remember who it was now. It looks pretty good though almost looking like pipework.

Cav

Great work mate, love the glazing and it looks alot lot better than the factory glaze, and the coupling is pretty neat and blends in well, looking forward to seeing this get your superb weathering treatment.

nice one

Neil

The glazing make a huge difference!

The 37s and 40s can be a real ballache to shape but the result is always worth it.

As for the coupling that was an idea i got off of this site.

You could use Gibson 0,45mm brass wire - it's almost invisible with normal viewing. I've done this on plenty of locos and some of them had to haul ten Bachmann Mark 1s so it's still strong enough!

Cheers for that james. Well worth thinking about. I just happen to have loads of flower arranging wire spare which is pre blacked. Im not keeping the wire as a permanent solution as i prefer to use screw links etc but at the mo i am having to borrow stock for the shows so i am stuck with tension locks. The wire is a stop gap really.

Cheers

Cav

Hi Tom.

Glad you like the windows. I used thin clear styrene sheet. I hand cut each window to be a tight fit in the openings and then glued them in using thinned gloss varnish. I did a couple freehand windows before working out that if you stick decorators masking tape over the openings you can draw the window opening onto it with a pencil. I then cut the shape out and stuck it to the sheet. Cutting round it gives you pretty much the exact shape. I just then finished each with a needle file to give a good fit.

Cheers

Cav

No probs Tom. Heres a pic that shows the improvement over a standard Bachmann version.

post-6894-0-06628400-1307431777_thumb.jpg

Well I have a few more pics of some locos Im getting ready for DEMU.

post-6894-0-59306100-1307431803_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-70200400-1307431841_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-96477800-1307431858_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-92043700-1307431870_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Cav

Archived