Waverley Route Structures

'CHARD

You never know when Heriot or Fountainhall might need duel carriage ways to access them so they are obviously playing it safe and making the new bridges wide enough just in case. Nice to know they are spending our money wisely. 

If the railway is unsuccessful they can always turn in into a single track road with passing places so no danger of any money being wasted on railways for unimportant people.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think that's it, Bruce.  I'm looking at the 1:2,500 OS Map for Roxburghshire, and the sidings in the area, all on the down side, I think are identified in the W/T/T as follows:

1. Siding squeezed between Ladhope Vale and the main line (as shown in the pic) Paterson's No.1
  2. Siding squeezed between Low Buckholmside and the main line (diverging just before the bridge joining Low and High Buckholmside (demolished) Paterson's No.2
  3. Siding crossing Low Buckholmside on the level serving Comelybank Skin and Tan Works (runs along the south side of the road) Skin Works Siding

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Galashiels overall Station roof structure:

I am proposing to model Galashiels with the overall roof structure, original Station Brae Bridge and the small turntable and loco storage depot

in place before the re-modelling in the late 1930's.

There seems to be scant photographic evidence and the plans available on disused-stations and other resources  so far used, cannot answer all my queries:-

These include- The stanchion and roof structure detail, (are the steel lattices visible after the roof was removed perhaps part of the original structure?), position

of signal boxes and signalling etc.

I wonder if anyone has researched this detail before or might have ideas as to the best places to look?

I am proposing to model Galashiels with the overall roof structure, original Station Brae Bridge and the small turntable and loco storage depot

There seems to be scant photographic evidence and the plans available on disused-stations and other resources  so far used, cannot answer all my queries:-

These include- The stanchion and roof structure detail, (are the steel lattices visible after the roof was removed perhaps part of the original structure?), position

I wonder if anyone has researched this detail before or might have ideas as to the best places to look?

From the National Archives of Scotland search .

RHP15709 Architectural drawing of Galashiels Station (North British Railway) 1 Feb 1847 amberDot11.gifCheck details

RHP15710 Architectural drawing of station buildings and carriage shed at Galashiels, Selkirkshire, North British Railway 1 Feb 1847 amberDot11.gifCheck details

RHP15711 Architectural drawing and elevation of Galashiels Station (North British Railway) 1 Feb 1847 amberDot11.gifCheck details

RHP15712 Architectural drawing showing section and end elevation of Galashiels Station (North British Railway) 1 Feb 1847 amberDot11.gifCheck details

RHP15713 Architectural drawing of roofs of Galashiels Station (North British Railway) 1 Feb 1847 amberDot11.gifCheck details

RHP15714 Architectural plan of Galashiels Station (North British Railway): 1872 1872 greenDot11.gif

RHP17130 Plan showing station arrangements at Galashiels (London and North Eastern Railway). 1939 greenDot11.gif

RHP25024 1. Architectural plan of proposed extension to parcel office and improvement to booking office and cloak room at Galashiels Station (North British Railway). 2. Estimated cost of above 1919 greenDot11.gif

RHP25041 1. Architectural plan of proposed alterations to station buildings at Galashiels (North British Railway).

2. Estimated cost of above 1903 greenDot11.gif

RHP25771 Plan showing proposed signalling alterations at north end of Galashiels Station (North British Railway). 1921 greenDot11.gif

RHP27071 Plan of footbridge at Galashiels Station (North British Railway). 1899 greenDot11.gif

RHP28493 PLan of Galashiels Station (London and North Eastern Railway) 1939 greenDot11.gif

The amberDot11.gifCheck details link states: 'This record has been digitally imaged and will not be produced for readers. The digital images may be seen in the NRS Search Rooms on the 'Virtual Volumes' system.'

Problem might be you'd need to visit the Records office in Edinburgh to view these.

Also the National Library of Scotland has 25inch to the mile OS maps available on line. http://maps.nls.uk/view/82905213

Jeremy

Edited by JeremyC

• RMweb Gold

There is a series of very useful photos in the Darsley/Lovett Waverley Route books. Hawick-Gala and Gala-Edinburgh.

The shape of the canopy on alteration suggests that the top of the 'A' frame was cut off while the main girders seen spanning were retained, the original structural reason being to prevent the overall roof spreading being lost and the new canopies fabricated on top. 

Email iainmacart@gmail.com and I'll point you in the right direction for a few useful things and supply a wee diagram to better demonstrate the above explanation.

I'm in the process of scale mapping the route and have Gala minus townscape complete.

Mac.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Well, well....  You learn something every day...

After flattening of the arch was observed, Bowshank Tunnel was reduced in length by 30 yards at its south end in 1955, hence the different style of tunnel mouth, in reinforced concrete.

Ref: Thanks to Graeme Bickerdike's article 'Trouble causer: the story of Bowshank Tunnel,' in September's issue of Rail Engineer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, well....  You learn something every day...

After flattening of the arch was observed, Bowshank Tunnel was reduced in length by 30 yards at its south end in 1955, hence the different style of tunnel mouth, in reinforced concrete.

Ref: Thanks to Graeme Bickerdike's article 'Trouble causer: the story of Bowshank Tunnel,' in September's issue of Rail Engineer.

I can't believe you didn't already know that!

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I think that's it, Bruce.  I'm looking at the 1:2,500 OS Map for Roxburghshire, and the sidings in the area, all on the down side, I think are identified in the W/T/T as follows:

1. Siding squeezed between Ladhope Vale and the main line (as shown in the pic) Paterson's No.1
  2. Siding squeezed between Low Buckholmside and the main line (diverging just before the bridge joining Low and High Buckholmside (demolished) Paterson's No.2
  3. Siding crossing Low Buckholmside on the level serving Comelybank Skin and Tan Works (runs along the south side of the road) Skin Works Siding

A bit of a late response, but I've just been looking in the 1947 LNER Scottish Area General Appendix and noticed the following, which may be of interest.

Bill

LINE No. 17 - PORTOBELLO EAST JUNCTION AND CARLISLE (CANAL JUNCTION)

GALASHIELS

SKIN WORKS SIDING - PATERSON’S No. 2 SIDING - PATERSON’S No. 1 SIDING

When it is necessary for a train which must return to Galashiels to work these sidings, all concerned must come to a clear understanding, and the Driver must be in possession of the token for the Galashiels-Innerleithen section. After shunting has been completed, the Guard or Shunter must telephone the Signalman, and the engine will thereafter round the train by way of the Peebles Branch connection and the Up Main line. The Driver after returning to Galashiels on the Up Main line must hand the token to the Signalman and the latter must pass it through the Instrument and withdraw another token in order to obtain the necessary release for signal No. 57 G. When handing this second token to the Driver of the light engine the Signalman must instruct him to pass at “Danger” the Down Main Advanced Starting signal (No. 17), propel his train on to the Peebles Branch, and return on the Up Main line.

The catch points in the Down Main line, situated about 30 yards in advance of the connection leading to Paterson’s No. 2 siding, are controlled from the ground frame by a slotted joint. The catch points are fitted with a facing point bolt which must be operated before the siding points lever can be reversed. The facing point bolt lever is locked in the reverse position by the occupation of the track circuit in advance of the marker board. After completion of shunting operations in the siding, the train must set back to the Galashiels side of the marker board before the facing point bolt lever and the ground frame can be restored to normal.

Edited by Bill Jamieson
  • Like 1

My extract from the LNER document was posted on another thread -  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40259-peaks-on-the-waverley/page-5 post #111, but this is probably the more logical place for it and anyway Bill's version here is rather tidier than mine... and the photo that started it off is at: https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=56484

Alasdair

Edited by AJCT

My extract from the LNER document was posted on another thread -  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40259-peaks-on-the-waverley/page-5 post #111, but this is probably the more logical place for it and anyway Bill's version here is rather tidier than mine... and the photo that started it off is at: https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=56484

Alasdair

Thanks Alasdair - I had a feeling that there had been a more recent thread on this issue than December 2014. A pity I hadn't found it as it would have saved me a lot of typing!

Bill

• 6 months later...