Waverley Route Structures

'CHARD

A fantastic report about the geology encountered by William Ritson's group of navvies between 1859-62 on the Whitrope Contract, whilst creating Whitrope Tunnel.

http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/tunnels/whitrope.html

Includes a cross sectional diagram of the shaft locations: http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/tunnels/images/whitrope/CrossSectionShafts.pdf

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone -

This forum and the other Waverley Route forums here at RMweb have been a great inspiration and source of information for railway modelling this former magnificent railway.

I am currently trying to model Hawick shed and the support buildings to the rear. I have a good amount of information on the shed and water tower but I am struggling with the buildings behind which appear to incorporate the boiler room, toilets and mess areas, lamp rooms etc. I have some older plans at small scales and a couple of pictures of part of the elevations and roofs (e.g. 64539 pictured at Hawick in 1958) on the south side. Some longer range shots hint at details (e.g. the very useful book Carlisle to Hawick) and some other details so much can be "assumed" or deduced.

Before I make up the rest perhaps someone here might know of any further sources of photo's or details that might be available to assist finishing the shed areas?

All assistance gratefully received....

Best Regards DM

D Meaden - are you on Facebook, and/ or are you familiar with one Mr Iain Macintosh?  Recently we unearthed some photos taken from the vantage point of Dovemount Place (the old course of the A7, Station Hotel side) which showed the coal merchants' premises, former stables and sundry other outbuildings.  I have a feeling these may refer to the area in which you're interested.

Hi Everyone -

This forum and the other Waverley Route forums here at RMweb have been a great inspiration and source of information for railway modelling this former magnificent railway.

I am currently trying to model Hawick shed and the support buildings to the rear. I have a good amount of information on the shed and water tower but I am struggling with the buildings behind which appear to incorporate the boiler room, toilets and mess areas, lamp rooms etc. I have some older plans at small scales and a couple of pictures of part of the elevations and roofs (e.g. 64539 pictured at Hawick in 1958) on the south side. Some longer range shots hint at details (e.g. the very useful book Carlisle to Hawick) and some other details so much can be "assumed" or deduced.

Before I make up the rest perhaps someone here might know of any further sources of photo's or details that might be available to assist finishing the shed areas?

Best Regards DM

D Meaden - are you on Facebook, and/ or are you familiar with one Mr Iain Macintosh?  Recently we unearthed some photos taken from the vantage point of Dovemount Place (the old course of the A7, Station Hotel side) which showed the coal merchants' premises, former stables and sundry other outbuildings.  I have a feeling these may refer to the area in which you're interested.

Hi Everyone -

Best Regards DM

Hi DM...Chard is right there is a magnificent cache of photos taken by Roy G Perkins just weeks after closure...another very good source is by a local Hawick lad Ian Bouglas.....if you go onto the Waverley Route and Branch Lines facebook page, search Hawick Railway Station and you'll see a post from, Ian Bouglas from August 2017 that contains 35 pics taken in summer 1974, including a fair few behind the yard, coal merchant goods shed etc etc..taken for the very purpose of assisting modellers and historians in the years to follow... ...sing out if my directions are a bit dodgy!...regards...R

Hi DM...Chard is right there is a magnificent cache of photos taken by Roy G Perkins just weeks after closure...another very good source is by a local Hawick lad Ian Bouglas.....if you go onto the Waverley Route and Branch Lines facebook page, search Hawick Railway Station and you'll see a post from, Ian Bouglas from August 2017 that contains 35 pics taken in summer 1974, including a fair few behind the yard, coal merchant goods shed etc etc..taken for the very purpose of assisting modellers and historians in the years to follow... ...sing out if my directions are a bit dodgy!...regards...R

Thanks, Ross.  Ian Bouglas' collection is the one I was mentally looking for.   :angel:

• Like 1

Chard, Blandford '69 & Ross - many thanks for the links - I have accessed them now :-)

The station and goods shed are well represented and there are a good few here that I haven't seen or don't have details for, so will be helpful for the goods shed in phase 1. The station is phase 2 and a much grander project and these details fill a lot of the gaps :-)

The engine shed appears to have been demolished by the time these shots were taken so there are still some details that may need to be deduced although the attached buildings to the goods shed do contain more detail and will allow me to finish off the details at the back of the shed.

Again many thanks and I will keep looking for more back of shed details....

• Like 1

Chard, Blandford '69 & Ross - many thanks for the links - I have accessed them now :-)

The station and goods shed are well represented and there are a good few here that I haven't seen or don't have details for, so will be helpful for the goods shed in phase 1. The station is phase 2 and a much grander project and these details fill a lot of the gaps :-)

The engine shed appears to have been demolished by the time these shots were taken so there are still some details that may need to be deduced although the attached buildings to the goods shed do contain more detail and will allow me to finish off the details at the back of the shed.

Again many thanks and I will keep looking for more back of shed details....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/sets/72157689871212964 and you may find this treasure trove to be quite handy from Ernie, scroll down to page 2 and you'll get a couple of good shots of the shed, the old roof then the 'modernised' version through to closure in 1966 and demolition shortly thereafter....R

Thanks Ross - I have come across Ernie’s photos before but this detailed archive is a great help.

A couple of images when blown up provide just about enough information to put the building shapes together for the modelling.

Again all, many thanks and will look out just in case some more photos come to light....?

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I was driving north out of Longtown today and say what looks like an engine shed standing in a field just before the A7 swings back to the Waverley route at Batenbush/Glingerbank. The shed is alongside the railway, but separated from it by a hedge. The 1947 6" map shows nothing, though the building looks older than that. Grateful for any illumination. 

image.png.2a007390c95f32dc7d3d0ca267f2c193.png

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, D9001 said:

Can anyone tell me when the station buildings and platforms at St. Boswell’s were actually demolished, please? Were they still there in April 1978 or did I dream it?

Sorry, you may have looked there already, but disused stations http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/st.boswells/ says the station building went soon after track lifting in 1971, and the platforms and other buildings still survived in 1977.