Waverley Route Structures

'CHARD

Ye Gods! That does make it Ale Water viaduct then! I've never seen reference to it as that, but habitues of my layout 'activities' will know my alternative fiction has the line following the Ale and a wayside station at Midlem Road. I never followed the course of the free-flowing Ale up at Midlem down to this beautifully proportioned viaduct by Belses Mill.

This has convinced me that what is presently my fictitious Currie Burn viaduct (based on Barnes/ Stobs), should embrace some of Bridge 146's features too. The parapet for one looks suitably different, and having committed to Stobs' geometry, I don't have the task of capturing the skew to worry about.

Oh that's very different. On every other viaduct on the line that I can think of at present, the trains are poised on tip-toes when seen in profile, but here there's more of a pre-cast trough style to the deck, with railings atop even that.

On reflection there's a parapet wall of sorts on the Eden and Newbattle viaducts, and something less substantial at Lynwood and Stobs, but even so this one's a turn up.

While we're on this subject, what was the span over the A7 at Shank Bridge, just north west of Gorebridge, like? That's a well-known Most Wanted of mine!

Aha! Too obvious for me, was mentally roving the rails in the Fushiebridge area. The giant signal-shed has gone which to me is synonymous with Stobs Camp. Yes, it's barely a branch, you're right. Looks like a wee white timber structure, elsewhere I'd have gone for a lamp room or store, but I wonder if this had a more direct quasi-military intention.

Good stuff, the more pooled resources, the better. And fresh from that cluster, here's a WR structure that we discussed a few weeks ago, the retaining wall along the top of which the line runs entering Teri in the Down direction:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/2568161128/in/pool-1533814@N24

I'd love to see footage from the train looking out over the mills that were here, or perhaps a personal recollection from those contributors who travelled the line of the ambience of this altitudinous stretch.... :mail: