Calcutta sidings 2 and universal fiddle yard first test

Guest jim s-w

Guest jim s-w

Hi all

This weekend Phil, Tim, Simon and myself held the first test running of Calcutta sidings 2 and the universal fiddlyard.

This shows a pair of hsts, flat out (which is about a scale 100mph)

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Cool.

Of course the real test is to send around a dodgy old 304 at a scale 70mph..........

Best, Pete.

I think the model version wont be as bouncy as the real ones Pete!

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

Wow! I've seen photos of this circuit before, but the videos really show the size of it... the time it takes for a 100mph train to get from one end to the other is quite something! Similar to the length of time you can typically watch a real HST for on the lineside. I bet you can't wait to get a full timetable running; with full-length trains and realistic distances it will probably be as close to the real thing as you can get from an indoor model. I guess this must be pretty much the largest fiddle yard ever built in the smaller scales, in this country at least?

Keep up the hard work!

Cheers,

Will

Guest jim s-w

Hi Roger

The idea is that the fiddleyard is shared between 3 layouts, Calcutta will be the first at 52 feet long anf New Street and tring will follow at 72 feet long.

HTH

Jim

Hi Roger

The idea is that the fiddleyard is shared between 3 layouts, Calcutta will be the first at 52 feet long anf New Street and tring will follow at 72 feet long.

HTH

Jim

:unsure::unsure::unsure: Ahh i see. Im assuming there is/will be an extra section to make the actual fiddle yard longer to 72 feet?

Epic i think is the current terminology one would use!

Cheers David & Roger,

The idea is to add or take away boards when needed. We still need to build 4 extra straight boards, these are 5' by 3'3" and built in pairs but they can wait until either Jim or myself needs them for our layouts :D

With the set up above at 52' by 17', we can fit both halves into two short wheel based Ford Transits. The Storage Yard is mine and is stored with me in Norfolk, whilst Calcutta Siding's v.2 is Phil's and stored in Derbyshire.

Cheers

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comments. Nothing special was used to build them, we just used good old track gauges and a rough line to follow. Thanks to Jim’s track plan, they did tend to build themselves, so to speak! I'll upload some photos in time, they were on a fotopic site :rolleyes:

The blades were filed/belt sanded using a 1 in 12 crossing jig, and the v's the same.

Cheers

Tim

• 1 year later...
Guest jim s-w

Hi All

A few from me

Cleaning the track

class 31 meets HST

Hornby 50 on test. Hornby 50's have a bad reputation in P4 - this one is a straight wheel swap.

Reverse test. RTR HEA's simply rewheeled still with solid buffers.

Cheers

Jim

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A couple of things I've been trying to develop over the past few days, an office building, and some wooden fencing.

Both have used the laser cutter to etch out the bricks in 1mm MDF on the office, and to cut out card planks complete with knotholes in the fence panels. Both the office and fence seem to be going in the right direction! :)

These two jobs will see an end to the building of buildings for Calcutta, which leaves only 36 weeks until the layouts debut in September.

Cheers

Tim

post-340-0-31971900-1357237166_thumb.jpg

Archived