Southern / BR(s) Workbench content links

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

Similar to the Layout links thread, please add any links to workbench topics or blogs that have a Southern / BR(s) theme. As with layouts it make sense for workbench blogs, kit building / scratch built topics to remain in their relevent section on the forum and this thread to compile a list of interesting links.

My own, 4mm, needing updating, workbench blog to kick things off can be found here.

Kris's 2mm workbench thread can be found here

Burgundy's EM build of a Billington E3 here and a couple of Terrier related R-T-R improvements here and here

DLT's Southern Locos workbench thread can be found here

GeorgeT's Scratchbuild in 7mm of Bulleid Pacific 229 Squadron

Colin Parks Scratchbuild of a 2Hal in 4mm

Pete_mcfarlane's SER station 2011 challenge thread also his workbench thread including SECR rolling stock is here

DIW's thread on a Southern Pride 4REP kit can be found here and his thread on building a Finecast T9 can be found here

Peter Cross (N15class) 1930's exLSWR workbench blog here and scractbuild of LSWR Pull Push Brake third driver here and third tailer here in plasticard here all in 7mm scale

Edited by Graham_Muz

• RMweb Premium

I don't do much modelling that relates to the either Southern or BR(s) but the few small bits that I do (a couple of coaches and the odd BV / wagon) can be found in my work bench thread (see the link in my signature). As a word of warning, you will find far more GWR / BR(w) in this than either Southern / BR(s) so if this offends laugh1.gif you have been warned.

• RMweb Gold

The first couple of workbench links have been added to the OP, including Kris's above. I am happy to add others so please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I look forward to seeing updates on your Hawkhurst model. Growing up in Paddock Wood, I found the (by then) old line to Hawkhurst fascinating. The first part of the old branch ran parallel to the main line and was retained as a siding. there was a footpath that led to a footbridge over the tracks. The footpath waas known as the Black Path and there were tales that the footbridge was haunted by someone who'd jumped. I've never found any reference to a suicide, but I still recall the tale. The other place where the old line was easily visible was out near Queen Street - where the overbridge had a distincy hump. Although i believe the railway was built to light railway standards by Col Stephens, there was no resort to a level crossing at that point.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks 'The lurker' (great name btw)

I don't was to wonder of fthe purpose of this topic to much but here is a little teaser of some of the progress on the buildings for Hawkhurst so far...

Firstly the signal box

post-243-0-83630400-1308052907_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-08279900-1308052742_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-23849300-1308052739_thumb.jpg

and the perishable store

post-243-0-80143100-1308052945_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-38379300-1308052783_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-83786400-1308052786_thumb.jpg

The goods shed is 80% complete but no pics of that yet

Note the pictures above of the real builds are as they are now and not necessarily in the condition they were in for my modelling period, but gives you an idea.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's good to hear Dave.

The Will's Q was one of my first kit buids as a teenager, its now on its third chassis and is starting to look a bit tired for its age.

• RMweb Premium

That's good to hear Dave.

The Will's Q was one of my first kit buids as a teenager, its now on its third chassis and is starting to look a bit tired for its age.

Third ???

What is under it at the moment? The current etched version from SEF is superb, make the rest of the kit look rather dated.

Cheers,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Well when first built it had the generic Triang/Hornby 0-6-0 chassis under it as the kit was orginally designed for. A couple of years later she was fitted with a old Mainline Collet Goods chassis which was slightly finer and more detail (even tho it was from the other railway) Common sense has since prevailed and she now runs sweetly on one of the fine SEF chassis's that you mentioned with a Portescap motor and indeed yes it does make the rest of the kit look very dated.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

OP updated to include pete_mcfarland's 2011 natty challenge entry thread on building a SER stationand also his workbench blogs including building etched SECR coaching stock.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A couple of items of mine, both N gauge,

A kit bash of Chivers or P&D Marsh 4 wheel passenger rated vans into Gangwayed bogie luggage van

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/47701-n-gauge-sr-gangwayed-bogie-luggage-van/

A RTR hack, Union Mills T9 to narrow cab and watercart (must practice lining skills)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/47698-um-t9-modification/

• 2 weeks later...

Start of another hack of a Union Mills N gauge loco, this time a damaged LNER D20 loco (minus tender) into an Adams X6.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56351-union-mills-d20-to-lswr-adams-x6/

The tender drive will be one left over from the T9 hack, and will receive any necessary tweaking to make it look more Adams.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

A generic North Cornwall Station Building and Goods Shed. My first building constructions for this layout that is rising like a Phoenix from the ashes of 'Cardigan Town'. Made from Wills sheet plastic, 'True Texture' windows, oddments from the 'gash box' and a few bits of skin here and there.post-6435-0-10249200-1386880387_thumb.jpgpost-6435-0-00470500-1386880488_thumb.jpgpost-6435-0-96068600-1386880536_thumb.jpgpost-6435-0-27731700-1386880575_thumb.jpg

• Like 4