Links to Swiss-interest Sites outside of RMweb

DIW

• RMweb Premium

Please add your Swiss-interest website links in this thread - it keeps them all in one place.

Don't stop adding the links in other threads too where the context makes sense!

Here to start off:

Railways:

SBB-CFF-FFS (Swiss Federal Railways)

Swiss Railways booking site

BLS Loetschbergbahn

Jungfraubahnen (BOB, WAB, JB, SPB, HB, BLM etc)

Jungfraubahnen (English language tourism sub-site)

Bruenig bahn preservation

Coni-fer (French preservation Pontarlier to Les Hopiteaux-Neufs with some Swiss rolling stock)

Baie de Somme (French preservation Saint-Valery-sur-Somme with some BOB coaches)

Narrow gauge Krokodiles (thanks Going Underground)

Model Manufacturers

Friho

HAG

HRF

EMB

SIGG

Microscale (Signalling Supplier) (thanks Horsetan)

Model Retailers

Roundhouse

Buehler

Miscellaneous

Brass model enthusiasts with some sales

Ernst Furrer - Brunig and SPB models (thanks Dutch Master)

Narrow Gauge Forum, central Switzerland and Berner Oberland (thanks Dutch Master)

Old postcards of Swiss Narrow Gauge railways

Hi all,

Here's another link for you. Most will recall the excellent Swiss Railway films shown on Sky/cable tv a few years ago. Follow the link to a little bit of fun found on YouTube:

Regards,

• RMweb Gold

The truly wonderful reference for everything RhB by Rudi Haribu

Contains stocklists as well as hundreds of reference photos.

http://www.haribu.ch/

The SBB online timetable, covers SBB, BLS, all the narrow gauge, Lake Steamers and cable cars!

http://www.haribu.ch/

The official RhB site and the club1889 site which runs the historic trains

http://www.rhb.ch/

http://www.club1889.ch/

Rail maps of Switzerland

http://www.sporenplan.nl/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's my favorite Swiss railway: http://www.appenzellerbahn.ch/ Used to travel on it quite regularly at one time when I was living in Herisau.

A mixture of metre-gauge adhesion and rack railways with some street-running sections for the line from Gossau to St. Gallen via Herisau and Appenzell, another rack section from Gais to Altstatten, plus a couple of stand-alone rack lines in both standard-gauge (Rorschach - Heiden) and metre-gauge (Rheineck - Walzenhausen) - and even a bus-line thrown in for good measure!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

There is a book "Eisenbahnatlas Schweiz" first published 2004 by Schweer & Wall which covers the whole country at 1:150,000 with enlargements at busy centres typically 1:50,000. It is in German with some English translation. It is very detailed and includes long closed lines, electrification, gradients/racks, tramways, funiculars etc.

It is much better than M.G. Ball's European Rail Atlas but it does cost more!

You can get it in the UK from Ian Allan amongst others.

There are also volumes on Osterreich, Deutschland, & Italien/Slowenien. (All in German)

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for the information (:

Do you know if it gives details such as train yards etc?

It shows on the mainline where the yards are located and a name and the operator of the yard, however the track layouts are not shown in any detail.

Also differentiated are passenger stations, freight only stations, freight only lines, MPDs etc. Plus mines, power stations and other businesses where they have a rail connection.

Keith

It shows on the mainline where the yards are located and a name and the operator of the yard, however the track layouts are not shown in any detail.

Also differentiated are passenger stations, freight only stations, freight only lines, MPDs etc. Plus mines, power stations and other businesses where they have a rail connection.

Keith

Thanks. I think the best thing for me to do is to buy the Eisenbahn atlas you mentioned (a new updated edition is out in November I think) and combine that with the sporenplan website. I can always print off the sprorenplan pages.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. I think the best thing for me to do is to buy the Eisenbahn atlas you mentioned (a new updated edition is out in November I think) and combine that with the sporenplan website. I can always print off the sprorenplan pages.

I've found it extremely useful when looking at Swiss railways (and also the others in the series) .

It would have been even better if it had the total detail of Quail/Trackmaps, which show all individual running lines.

As far as I know there aren't/haven't been any Trackmaps for outside Britain apart from a New York map I have had for years!

Edit: plus China & Tasmania!

Keith

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's worth taking the time to dig around in the "Company" or "Media" or "Community" sections of railway operators' web sites, where you can sometimes find stunning photography and useful things like artwork for logos. Try these

SBB Photo Gallery

BLS Photo Gallery

BLS Logos

RhB Photo Gallery

RhB Video

RhB Webcams(includes one on Landwasser Viaduct)

Zentralbahn Downloads

MGB Picture Gallery and some quirky videos

• 10 months later...

Maybe I'm just blind or thick but is the Swiss Railways Society link not in the list somewhere? www.swissrailsoc.org.uk

www.eisenbahn-amateur.ch is the site of the SVEA (Swiss Association of Railway Amateurs and their clubs, prototype and model interests); and their magazine; mainly in German, partly in French, occasionally bits in Italian.

They in turn have a link to MOROP www.morop.eu if you want to download all of NEM standards specs, applicable to all scales, as pdfs. (choice of German or French. A few of these have been translated into English.)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I thought this might suit in here;

http://www.stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=73945

All about the central Basel station in H0 between 1860 & 1902, German language but google 'translate' helps.

Some pretty amazing modelling going on there.

Cheers,

John E.

Stunning work on that station building. Elfie and Dominic use that 'Pound shop' compass with blade to cut out those beautiful circles and semi-circular window tops :O

• RMweb Premium

Stunning work on that station building. Elfie and Dominic use that 'Pound shop' compass with blade to cut out those beautiful circles and semi-circular window tops :O

And a plastic ruler with the knife!

Keith

Archived