Another newcomer

sixteen 12by 10s

Hi

First could I say hello to all the members of this group and hope I can add to the skills and knowledge already on this forum.

First a bit of background to my modeling skills and interests. I cannot say I have been dedicated to a scale or gauge and have had a dabble in in most. I have scratch built locos in 0,and 00 even had a go at 16mm live steam, and my latest venture Glenuig is EM,so why am I writing on a 2mm forum?.

My favourite layout of all time is MMRS Chee tor, and I have been taken by the scenic modeling on this masterpiece, Ok I could have gone down the N gauge route, but I have always considered the wheels and track to be a bit “chunkyâ€

So a fancy a change, and it looks like it will be 2 mill. At the moment I am looking at the possibility of modeling Bridge of Orchy, on the West Highland line, this would be set (as in Glenuig) in the 1980s, blue diesels. The format I am considering is an 8 ft doughnut, this way I can get the station and passing loop in at almost scale, with a good length of approach. The layout would have a limited operating potential, a single line passing place with two or three sidings with the odd PW train stabled. The limitations in operation can be offset by the wild scenic features, and has with Glenuig, I will design it around a custom photo back scene from the start.

The layout is very much in the planning stage, so don't expect a lot of activity yet!

Looking forward to your comments

Gary

Hi Pete

I had the “kings shilling†pressed into my palm at Railex last week, and I am now a member of the 2mm association. Just reading an article by a Pete fella, in the mag, his trainset looks a lot like yours. :lol:

The layout is very much at the planing stage, and I have another thread open in the Scotland railway section to gather info on the prototype. I am hopping to start construction in the autumn, but I mite have a dabble on a test piece beforehand (a challenge 2011 entry?)

Looking forward to you comments

Gary

Passed Bridge of Orchy on the way up to (and back from) Fort William last week. Wish I'd known this as I'd have taken some photos for you. Instead I stopped off at Crianlarich as I was impressed by an N-gauge layout called Loch Oran which gives a terrific representation of there.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses - you are a man who likes a challenge, it would seem!

Norman.

Passed Bridge of Orchy on the way up to (and back from) Fort William last week. Wish I'd known this as I'd have taken some photos for you. Instead I stopped off at Crianlarich as I was impressed by an N-gauge layout called Loch Oran which gives a terrific representation of there.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses - you are a man who likes a challenge, it would seem!

Norman.

Hi Norman

Thanks for the offer, but I have about 150 taken at Bridge of Orchy over the last few years, what I am interested in, is the signalling before REBT was installed, and what the crossing was like at the west end of the loop, I have now filled in most of the gaps, thanks to Rmwebers.

I also have the photos for a back scene, I am not going for the perfect blue sky as I did with Glenuig, but a stormy one, backed up with some lighting effects on the layout, a bit of drama.

Hope to have some rough plans drawn up in the next few weeks.

Gary

Hi Norman

Thanks for the offer, but I have about 150 taken at Bridge of Orchy over the last few years, what I am interested in, is the signalling before REBT was installed, and what the crossing was like at the west end of the loop, I have now filled in most of the gaps, thanks to Rmwebers.

I also have the photos for a back scene, I am not going for the perfect blue sky as I did with Glenuig, but a stormy one, backed up with some lighting effects on the layout, a bit of drama.

Hope to have some rough plans drawn up in the next few weeks.

Gary

Thought you would have done your homework, Gary. :-)

Must say I'm lovin the idea of the drama - dark stormy clouds, bit of lightning. Can't say I've seen a layout with that weather approach. Will you model before the storm or after with a suitable wet-look to everything?

Norman.

Archived