Lynton and Barnstaple Railway

darren01

Martin, thanks for posting these pictures. Absolutely brilliant ! Interesting to see the slight colour variations between the two locomotives.

Cheers,

Chris

ah ... you've noticed! Lyn was painted just over a year ago whereas Lyd paint is older & so may have faded. It was painted green in 2011 so the paint coat may be 7 years old.

Last weekend saw the railway's Autumn Gala at Woody Bay where resident Baldwin 'Lyn' was joined by Manning Wardle 'Lyd' from the Ffestiniog - the first time that 2 classic L&B locos had been in steam together since 1935. Saturday was one of the most perfect autumn days I have ever experienced on Exmoor - wall-to-wall sunshine. As a result the many enthusiasts who turned out to see the double-heading were rewarded by stunning views across the Bristol Channel to South Wales.

Fantastic photos and a fantastic sight. I'm really looking forward to the railway getting its teeth into the extension!

Edited by Torn-on-the-platform

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic photos and a fantastic sight. I'm really looking forward to the railway getting its teeth into the extension!

And that will surely unlock further success and prosperity. While we enthusiasts just love the locos and stock, for the family on a day out distance travelled on the train is part of the deal, so longer is better. None of this is news to the railway, I’m sure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

for the family on a day out distance travelled on the train is part of the deal, so longer is better. 

I'm afraid I'm not entirely convinced of that. Up until about four years ago we were holidaying on Exmoor annually for several years; the L&B was tolerated by the rest of the family because the 2-mile round trip could be included in a day spent doing "more interesting" things such as going to the beach. The move to Exmoor followed a very wet August week in north Wales, when a 4-hour trip on the WHR was found a bit too much by all, even without the competition of a sunny day at the seaside...

I'm afraid I'm not entirely convinced of that. Up until about four years ago we were holidaying on Exmoor annually for several years; the L&B was tolerated by the rest of the family because the 2-mile round trip could be included in a day spent doing "more interesting" things such as going to the beach. The move to Exmoor followed a very wet August week in north Wales, when a 4-hour trip on the WHR was found a bit too much by all, even without the competition of a sunny day at the seaside...

I find that if there is a proper destination, a longer journey is tolerated. For instance, Bishop's Lydeard to Blue Anchor is acceptable on the West Somerset, if there is fish and chips at the Driftwood Cafe to look forward to.

If there are things to get on and off for along the route (and therefore day rover tickets) this makes it more interesting for families. The problem is then whether the trains are frequent enough (sometimes an issue for passengers breaking their journeys on the Welsh Highland, although I can understand why running fewer, longer trains is better from a cost and practicality point of view).

The problem is then whether the trains are frequent enough (sometimes an issue for passengers breaking their journeys on the Welsh Highland, although I can understand why running fewer, longer trains is better from a cost and practicality point of view).

From a practicality point of view, the WHR only has two carriage sets. Therefore having more than three trains per day each way (the high season timetable in recent years) gets a bit tricky.

• Informative/Useful 1

If there are things to get on and off for along the route (and therefore day rover tickets) this makes it more interesting for families. The problem is then whether the trains are frequent enough (sometimes an issue for passengers breaking their journeys on the Welsh Highland, although I can understand why running fewer, longer trains is better from a cost and practicality point of view).

This is exactly what made riding the railways north and south from Douglas in the Isle of Man such a memorable pleasure for me earlier this year. Superb weather helped too!

The Nim.

I was a volunteer on excursion trips in N. California and long trips might have been fine for enthusiasts but not so for the average passenger.  There was a destination about fifty miles away and while the up trip was interesting, the return enabled a lot of tired passengers to take a nap on the way home as they had seen it all on the way up.  Shorter trips were more successful in that respect; at least they were alert!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

From a practicality point of view, the WHR only has two carriage sets. Therefore having more than three trains per day each way (the high season timetable in recent years) gets a bit tricky.

Indeed. A longer railway needs more rolling stock. They're working on that for the L&B, whose carriages are suberb pieces of restoration/reconstruction. The WHR's stock is, as I recall from getting on for a decade ago, rather less glamorous. I can see that being an obstacle to finding the funds and enthusiasm for constructing more, even if it would lead to a better tourist attraction. (Plus I got told off for teaching my children the boyhood pleasure of standing with one's feet in different carriages - only trying to keep up their flagging interest!)

I believe that part of the continuing plans for the Ffestiniog/Welsh Highland is a new rake of coaches, to the standard of the modern WHR ones but built to fit the FR loading gauge so suitable for both lines.

The WHR coaches may not be quite as heritage or glamorous as other lines but they are extremely luxury for a narrow gauge line and very comfortable with great views out the window.

Edited by TomJ
  • Agree 1

• 9 months later...
On 02/10/2018 at 21:06, martinT said:

What next? Well, the Spring Gala next May should see the arrival of a 5th coach. It is a 1st/3rd composite, coincidentally numbered 5, & its construction by the EAST Group is well-advanced. It shouldn't be long before the u/f currently being manufactured at Boston Lodge is delivered to the EAST's workshop near Colchester. For the latest news see:
http://www.lynton-ra...iage-no5-latest

Martin

Unfortunately we didn't finish coach 5 for the Spring Gala but it's on its way today! (The late delivery of the u/f didn't help). See: https://www.lynton-rail.org.uk/trust/groups/pages/carriage-no5-its-way

It's appearance at the Autumn Gala (28 & 29 September) is guaranteed so be there!

Martin

Edited by martinT
link URL changed to suit L&B website alterations

• 2 months later...
On 26/10/2018 at 17:26, locoholic said:

I find that if there is a proper destination, a longer journey is tolerated. For instance, Bishop's Lydeard to Blue Anchor is acceptable on the West Somerset, if there is fish and chips at the Driftwood Cafe to look forward to.

Conversely, a lot of WSR traffic originates at Minehead, especially in the summer with Butlin's etc. It's amazing how many people turn up at MD asking for "a ticket please" thinking it's just a short-ish out-and-back pleasure ride. When you tell them it's over 40 miles round-trip and a good couple of hours, they suddenly lose interest........but short-ish trips to Watchet and back prove very popular, especially with the harbour, boat museum etc there. So longer is not always better. 

• RMweb Premium

Had a ride in coach 5 at the Gala, in the First Class Smoker; what luxury!  Seats are deep and comfortable, and once in you don't want to get out.  I could travel a long way in  that!

A wonderful example of craftsman coachwork, and an excellent addition to the railway.

904156609_IMG_5448small.jpg.bc77b83e9997a288c5b9aeaa4be9149b.jpg

2020644034_IMG_5458small.jpg.3ce940b4adb59baced805bbc1a5d8dd8.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

On 04/11/2018 at 19:58, TomJ said:

I believe that part of the continuing plans for the Ffestiniog/Welsh Highland is a new rake of coaches, to the standard of the modern WHR ones but built to fit the FR loading gauge so suitable for both lines.

The WHR coaches may not be quite as heritage or glamorous as other lines but they are extremely luxury for a narrow gauge line and very comfortable with great views out the window.

One thing to be remembered is that extra trains need extra crews , both loco and on train, and enough available loco's. There are more vehicles and loco's to maintain, so more maintenance staff needed. Plus they are only fully utilised in the 8 to 10 weeks of the high season so spend an awful lot of time out of use. With the overall perrennial shortage of volunteers through the preservation movement the extra stock becomes the least of the problems. You also need some where to keep them, in it's attempt to rectify this the F.R. is being castigated by some folks for building sheds to keep them in because they look like sheds, some times you can't win. 

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 21/10/2019 at 23:49, DLT said:

Had a ride in coach 5 at the Gala, in the First Class Smoker; what luxury!  Seats are deep and comfortable, and once in you don't want to get out.  I could travel a long way in  that!

A wonderful example of craftsman coachwork, and an excellent addition to the railway.

Thanks, & just to illustrate that non-smoking 1st class passengers weren't overlooked here's their compartment:IMG_0009-1600px.jpg.4f3b34f1f62d9c376329b916871c4dbc.jpg

Obviously there's no smoking in either today. The weather wasn't great I'm afraid but just to illustrate the first 5-coach trains since 1935 here are a couple of shots. The newly-delivered compo is the 2nd coach:

IMG_0026-1800px.jpg.02a6ca69c5398c0fdbf179113d51ff75.jpg

IMG_0037-2400px.jpg.cdf52122cb93fc93693cee8676cbcad1.jpg

Edited by martinT
photos duplicated!
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Good news! The L&B Trust have finally bought the 1988-built bungalow on the site of the trackbed at Parracombe Halt. Along with the bungalow came 4 fields some distance away on the western edge of Parracombe - they will be sold on, except for the length of trackbed that one contains. This length includes the deep infilled Rowley Cross Cutting - extending the Trust's ownership of trackbed all the way from Holwell Wood to Rowley Cross.

With the bungalow the Trust now owns all the trackbed between Killington Lane (the temporary southern terminus) & Parracombe Halt, so significantly it owns all the trackbed between 2 stations - Woody Bay & Parracombe.

As for total trackbed length ownership I've seen figures of 2.12miles for Exmoor Associates and 4.35 miles for the L&B Trust, so ~6.5 miles in total. The total length, Barnstaple to Lynton is 19+ miles - so approximately ⅓ is owned.

To get some idea of the lengths owned see this interactive map on the Exmoor Associates website: http://www.exmoor-associates.co.uk/land-property/ - but, at the time of posting this, it hasn't been updated with the latest purchases.

The bungalow is currently rented out & the present residents will continue to occupy it for the foreseeable future.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...