Anyone been to Malaysia?

Taigatrommel

Hi all,

I'm off to Malaysia in four weeks time, travelling by rail and visiting Penang and Kuala Lumpur. I was wondering if anyone else has been and could recommend locations for a bit of photography? I'm tempted to go up to the Thai border for a day from Penang, but it looks to be a loooong day doing that.

Cheers

Rich

It has been a while since I've been lineside in that part of the world but be aware that the line between Ipoh and the Thai border is undergoing extensive reconstruction and electrification (did some work on this project a couple of years back)- the following link may be of interest.

http://www.2t.com.my/EN/project/progress.html

otherwise you may get lucky at Butterworth station ( possible container traffic)

• 4 weeks later...

Nearly 20 years ago I rode the International Express overnight from Bangkok to Butterworth, then after a stay caught the Butterworth - KL day train and after that the KL - Singapore sleeper. Can't help with lineside locations, but your post did bring back memories cool.gif

Well, I'm now in KL with a view from my suite to the monorail, planning to head out in half an hour or so to photograph trains 1 and 2 as they pass through Kuala Lumpur old station. If I can face the humidity I will head to Pel Klang to see if there's any freight action. I snapped some YDMs and the plinthed locos (including an EE shunter) at Butterworth the other day, I'll post the images up within the next few days. Meantime here are the trains which took me from Singapore to Butterworth.

post-6973-0-70594200-1309837151_thumb.jpg

Singapore (Tanjong Pagar) station on its penultimate evening of operation, 29/6/2011

post-6973-0-04053100-1309837249_thumb.jpg

Train 24, Senandung Sutera, upon arrival at Sentral Kuala Lumpur, 30/6/2011. Canadian built EMD loco, 8-645E engine.

post-6973-0-82869700-1309837414_thumb.jpg

Train 10, Expres Sinaran Utara, after arrival at Butterworth (Penang). Ex Indian YDM-4.

• 2 years later...

Archived