Ignore the first 40 pages!  Things have changed since the start (rather a lot)

HI,
I was going to hold off for a bit longer before I started this post but as I’ve broken cover by putting some pictures on another thread I thought I may as well start.

I have spent ages trying to come up with a layout that I was happy with, my previous thread Bocott & Eastbury sidings is evidence of that.

My intention is not to turn this into an 18 page thread of my ramblings and bright ideas. Hopefully it will cover the development of the new layout.

So, Redbrook Maritime, what’s it all about???

Well if you’re sitting comfortably then I will begin.
I am still a fairly active spotter and frequent the likes of Eastleigh and Southampton Maritime as often as my 3 children, shift work and wife will allow.

I have always liked the concept of Southampton Maritime and have always had a desire to model something based around it.
Seeing the likes of Warren Lane and Holland Park got me thinking about what I could do.

I didn’t want to lift up all of my already laid and ballasted track so I decided to adapt it to suit my needs as best I can.
Now, I cannot justify spending money on a Heljan crane, so I thought the next best thing would be to model some reception sidings with the crane off scene. Keeping the small maintenance depot from the previous layout too.

I like the idea of docks traffic, as the potential for varied freight traffic is quite large. With this in mind the reception lines are not specific to one TOC and are used by them all. Although Freightliner seem to have the monopoly.

The idea is that the layout Is based in and around the Western Docks type area of Southampton, between Millbrook and Redbridge. Obviously it is all fantasy and modeller’s licence comes into it in a big way, but I like the idea of having some basis behind the location modelled. It kind of works in my head and as I’m the one who will be operating it most then that’s good enough for me.
I’m just trying to decide if it should be modelled on a privately owned/run area ie off of the main line or keep it as Network Rail managed.

At the moment I’m trying to sort out my scenic side ie Backscene and buildings etc.. I have come to the conclusion that it would be easier for me to model the backscene as if you had your back to the quayside (operating side) therefore the backscene can be the normal industrial units and such like, rather than huge container ships and cranes.

The track is all down, wired and working (including point motors) There is a small bit that needs to be ballasted and painted and that will be done when I get 5 mins spare.

I have a lot of things to do and so far am enjoying doing the research into dock workings, thanks go to yellowvanman of this parish for his input and first hand knowledge.

I think I have gone on enough and I hope I have made it reasonably clear as to my intentions with this one. The operation side of things will be something I cover in another update, when I fully understand myself!!

Thanks for taking the time to have a read.

Cheers

Scott

post-6849-0-78633900-1306981876_thumb.jpg

HI,

I was going to hold off for a bit longer before I started this post but as I’ve broken cover by putting some pictures on another thread I thought I may as well start.

I have spent ages trying to come up with a layout that I was happy with, my previous thread Bocott & Eastbury sidings is evidence of that.

My intention is not to turn this into an 18 page thread of my ramblings and bright ideas. Hopefully it will cover the development of the new layout.

So, Redbrook Maritime, what’s it all about???

Well if you’re sitting comfortably then I will begin.

I am still a fairly active spotter and frequent the likes of Eastleigh and Southampton Maritime as often as my 3 children, shift work and wife will allow.

I have always liked the concept of Southampton Maritime and have always had a desire to model something based around it.

Seeing the likes of Warren Lane and Holland Park got me thinking about what I could do.

I didn’t want to lift up all of my already laid and ballasted track so I decided to adapt it to suit my needs as best I can.

Now, I cannot justify spending money on a Heljan crane, so I thought the next best thing would be to model some reception sidings with the crane off scene. Keeping the small maintenance depot from the previous layout too.

I like the idea of docks traffic, as the potential for varied freight traffic is quite large. With this in mind the reception lines are not specific to one TOC and are used by them all. Although Freightliner seem to have the monopoly.

The idea is that the layout Is based in and around the Western Docks type area of Southampton, between Millbrook and Redbridge. Obviously it is all fantasy and modeller’s licence comes into it in a big way, but I like the idea of having some basis behind the location modelled. It kind of works in my head and as I’m the one who will be operating it most then that’s good enough for me.

I’m just trying to decide if it should be modelled on a privately owned/run area ie off of the main line or keep it as Network Rail managed.

At the moment I’m trying to sort out my scenic side ie Backscene and buildings etc.. I have come to the conclusion that it would be easier for me to model the backscene as if you had your back to the quayside (operating side) therefore the backscene can be the normal industrial units and such like, rather than huge container ships and cranes.

The track is all down, wired and working (including point motors) There is a small bit that needs to be ballasted and painted and that will be done when I get 5 mins spare.

I have a lot of things to do and so far am enjoying doing the research into dock workings, thanks go to yellowvanman of this parish for his input and first hand knowledge.

I think I have gone on enough and I hope I have made it reasonably clear as to my intentions with this one. The operation side of things will be something I cover in another update, when I fully understand myself!!

Thanks for taking the time to have a read.

Cheers

Scott

PS I’m determined to see this one through!

I am sure you will be successful, Its good to have you back with your own thread, Redbrook is looking good already and I wish you well.

Regards

Kevin.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe a small part of the bacscene could be a stack of containers like warren lane Scott, some of the stacks by the road near West Quay are next to industrial units.

I'll have a look on the pc as I have some aerial pics somewhere which might be useful.

Morning chaps,

Thanks for the support, its good to be back!

Paul, I was thinking of having containers partly along the back, I found a website that provides them in 4mm, (for free) so I have printed some off and stuck them to some foamboard to see how it looks. I think they will do just nicely, especially if I put some real (model) ones in front. Here is a picture to give a rough idea.

post-6849-0-23483100-1307000456_thumb.jpg

On a separate note Paul, I have been thinking about signalling for this one. I have spoken to Keith (Yellowvanman) and he has told me about how the signalling works at Western Docks, relating to the entry/exit from the mainline and also the level crossings, and how a lot of its done by two way radio. But I was just wondering with my reception sidings do you think STOP boards or ground position signals could be used? I suppose it would depend if its going to be private property or NR maintained?? Not really sure how that sort of thing would work.. (Keith suggested I post the plan in the signalling section and throw myself to the wolves, but I'm hoping with his and your experience I may be able to save myself!) :laugh:

Thanks

Scott

Hi Scott,

Looking good mate, I like the idea of having docks traffic it will add some nice variety, I think for a while there were regular ballast trians out of the docks too. Are you planning on getting a few class 57s? I remember seeing a few when I was over in 2003, I quite liked them.

Glad my brother has been of some use, ;) He has plenty of pics of stuff in the docks, if you hassle him he might post a few up.:D

Are you sure you don't need a Heljan crane A friend of mine has one, they are pretty cool.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, Keith has been very helpful, he has PM'd me a photo already of 37's passing eachother, he said he was going to dig out a few more. I did request some current ones as he has been working at both East and West docks this week. (I did say only if he had chance)

You are right about the ballast trains..there was a virtual quarry there with the ballast coming from the ships. (YVM's info ;) )

My take on the docks is going to be the current scene with the 70's. but I suppose I could also have sessions without the beast as I do like the 57's and remember them at Southampton. It wasnt that long ago really.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Gold

Scott Throwing yourself open to suggestions from a couple of our Signalling experts, Beast and Stationmaster is no bad thing ;) Keith knows far more about operation within the docks than I do and anything within the docks is effectively their yard so not signalled. The reception and departure roads will be signalled though and I can give you diagrams of the current arrangement and work up a realistic plan when the trackplan is finalised. pm me your email and I'll send some stuff over.

HI scott, looking good and i like the containers backscene, i think your right in saying it needs some model containers in the font i think it will give it a whole new effect.

some nice 37's there too

look forward to more

Neil

Scott

Throwing yourself open to suggestions from a couple of our Sugnalling experts, Beast and Stationmaster is no bad thing ;)

Oh I know, I was just holding off on starting another topic. Beast, stationmaster and the rest of the "knowledge" were going to be my next option...

I'll PM you my email. Any advice is greatly appreciated..

Cheers

Thanks Neil,

Its just a shame that DRS dont operate 37's down here on a regular basis, thankfully in my world they have been offered a contract to operate certain services out of Redbrook...

I have had a trial with the containers in front and I think it will look ok, I just don't want to cover the whole backscene with containers, despite how tempting it may be..

Chris, thanks for your comments, I will try and keep regular updates where I can..

Here are just a few more pictures that I took quickly earlier.

67029 waits patiently whilst its inter-modal service is unloaded.

post-6849-0-35794500-1307017326_thumb.jpg

Various traction will be using Redbrook at any one time. The DRS 37's are getting ready to run light engine to Eastleigh to pick up the boat train stock before heading north. 66610 arrives with container empties, normally assigned to Heavy Haul, it was abducted by container services whilst staying overnight, having worked in on the Wool- Neasdon sand.

post-6849-0-20092700-1307017364_thumb.jpg

Finally 47749 leaves the depot, after having its levels checked and topped up.

post-6849-0-37418900-1307017371_thumb.jpg

Hi scott , layouts looking good mate..I have some older pics I can post ..do you want me to PM them to you or post on this thread..? here some for starters.. 37s on a trial run for containorised china clay ..taken a few years ago some of the track in front has been lifted..the heavy haul 66 is on the VQ stone arriving with dry dock in background again taken a while ago before the new track work and concrete pad was done, and the 67 was last year showing new track work and scrap metal pile where stone used to be....cheers YVM

post-6833-0-12781300-1307018623_thumb.jpg

post-6833-0-51533800-1307018690_thumb.jpg

post-6833-0-81767300-1307018742_thumb.jpg

Thanks Keith, they are great, the photo with the 37 has a similar container stacker thingy ma jig to my new one, so thats a bonus already.

Heavy haul 66's and a 67 too, just what I wanted to see.. I like the pile of scrap, I wonder if I could do a low relief version??

As for the other photos, feel free to post them on here if you so wish. Its almost tempting to start a "dock pictures" thread too...

Thanks again

scott

Ian, I had just got in from work and was still wide awake, had a few hours flying last night so the adrenaline was still pumping!

Jon, I prefer shunting and depots so this layout will be ideal for me, I did start a thread with the containers, its here. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/30746-free-printable-containers-in-oo/page__p__322970__fromsearch__1#entry322970

cheers

• RMweb Gold

I've assumed that your bottom line is the connection to the main layout and added connection similar to Maritime in grey. All you need is a ground signal at the exit before the trap point for the exit and I've put a shunt on a main aspect for the entry, ( the main aspect would only be for the route on the crossover to the grey line, not into the terminal).

Nothing inside the yard would be signalled just under control of a shunter by radio as Keith said.

The only thing you haven't got is a departure road where the next train can sit ready to draw forward to the GPS when the shunter has offered the train to the Signalbox. You could make it siding 1 or turn one of the reception roads into a departure track although that will require a shunt back into the headshunt to release it. The headshunt is effectively the arrival road which needs to be kept free so arriving trains don't block the mainline.

post-6968-0-62074300-1307027423_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul, thanks for doing that, but just to clarify, the connection line is the one below siding 1 and not reception 1. But from looking at your diagram I can see what there needs to be at the entrance. I could just get away with the trap point and GPS for the exit, with the main aspect being off scene, and put a set of gates across the line. (left open of course)

I never thought about a departure line, I guess reception 4 could become the departure line. Once again using the headshunt to shunt back if coming from Reception's 1,2 and 3??

I'm not sure now how it would work with a depot within the confines of the privately run port rail network. Maybe that could be run by a private firm too, contracted to work on various TOC locos.. Dealing with re-fuelling and light maintenance. It would certainly give a reason to have such varied locos!

Thanks for doing that, and sorry for any confusion caused, I must put buffer stops on the amended plan..

Cheers

Scott

As usual work has got in the way of modelling, but I have just managed to get out into the gararge to try something out. Ive been thinking about the backscene and how to do it and I thought I would give this a go..

Its only put in place with blu tack to get the impression.

post-6849-0-23892100-1307301602_thumb.jpg

post-6849-0-35579600-1307301613_thumb.jpg

post-6849-0-01704600-1307301623_thumb.jpg

This is obviously only a small part of the layout but its the entrance/exit area to the fiddle yard but is meant to represnt the entrance/exit to the main line..

I have also updated the track plan with the departure and inter-modal road's in place.

post-6849-0-75494600-1307301626_thumb.jpg

I'm off work all week now so I hope to crack on with a bit more, in between looking after the kids..

Cheers

Scott

Thanks David and Pete, I was quite pleased with the results, my plan is to get a photographic sky background and add bits to it, trying to blend it as best I can.

Pete, I got the stacker off of ebay, i'm not sure who makes it but its probably a Walthers Cornerstone 933-3109 - Kalmar Container Crane - Kit (put it into google, it should bring it up)

I got it already made and at a reasonable price, a lot less than the kit would cost!

Here is a photo of the entrance/exit of Western Docks at Southampton, nothing like mine but you can make out the signal and gate(Above the top crossing). It gives you an idea of things. The main line is at the top of the picture.

post-6849-0-31929600-1307305537_thumb.jpg

The picture comes from Bing Maps, edited to suit my needs. (I hope that it doesnt breach anything)

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Gold

Looking good, I'd keep the depot as the main company you have locos for then have other companies locos paying for fueling only. That way the depot is separate to the ABP sidings which can be worked by any company that has successfully got a flow contract. Mixing companies in a maintenance shed doesn't tend to happen.

Archived