Evening, I trust you are all well...

I have kept quiet for a bit on here, but today I though I would break my silence, nothing exciting to show or tell but thought I'd post as to where I am with things.

Firstly, I have been collecting and selling stock, got a bit carried away with a couple of purchases and they should be arriving soon.

The layout is coming along slowly, the track plan hasn't had a drastic change and is still recognisable as the old Redbrook. The theme has changed (back) to a freightliner based layout and is based loosley on Southampton, although not a true representation by any stretch of the imagination. I'll leave that to Rammy's excellent First Avenue.

There are similarities between Rammys and mine, but I think that was always going to happen when we are both looking at Southampton for inspiration. I was going to do it in "N" but shelved that idea and remained in "OO".

The main operating will consist of container trains arriving and then the locos uncoupling and making there way to fuel/shed or siding depending on the requirement. The shunters will then spring into action and do a bit of shuffling.

There is no crane on my layout this is off scene, as are the majority of the sidings. So it will be a fairly simple operation.

It wont just be container traffic arriving, to vary it a bit NR infrastructure services will also make use of the yard facilities (off scene) So will be seen around Redbrook.

The depot is able to maintain locos and wagons and offers a refuelling service aswell.

Sorry for rambling (as I often do) I will post more pictures as it develops but heres one for starters.

70003 arrives in the reception line with the Wentloog - Maritime service. Meanwhile 66's 522 and 952 are stabled up by the crew/shunters rest room

post-6849-0-62395300-1343253647.jpg

(I still have to add the infills for the foot crossing across to the rest room. Plus lots of other bits)

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

The changes look good Scott - you need to renumber a 70003/006 to an intermodal loco though! (Bachmann really need to modify their moulds to do 007 upwards to give you more choice.............)

Cheers,

Mick

Edit: 001 is already an intermodal loco.......

Cheers Mick,

I've seen 001 and 003 at Southampton, so number 6 is the likely candidate for change. Although it could always have worked across from westbury after working the Taunton infrastructure service..

I do plan on looking at my fleet when the layout is nearing completion, I'll probably have a mass renumbering! Most of the 66's are non inter-modal.

Thanks William, yeah I got a bit carried away on Ebay!

Peter the station has gone, yes. The fiddle yard (beyond the bridge) was once the station. I've scaled things down to something more manageable.

I have to say that I'm more than happy with the way the layout is going,

Cheers

Scott

Evening,

Latest news from Redbrook is the arrival of a new shunter, having come from Pleasance Road in the last couple of days. (Thanks ZippyHG)

It's gone straight into the works and has had a chip wired into it already. The apprentice electrician has had a go at adding additional pickups but has failed miserably, so decided to paint the hard standing of the depot instead. Will try again with the pickups over the next few days.

Managed to get a picture of the shunter in the siding before it was dragged into the depot. Needs a lot doing to it. But will hopefully turn into 08873.

post-6849-0-35849800-1343770939.jpg

Here's the real one seen at Southampton Maritime.

post-6849-0-68595300-1343770940.jpg

Not a lot else to report, double portacabin has been built and placed in the yard by the bridge, which will probably become a Network Rail depot or builders yard.

And that is it for tonights update.

Cheers

Scott

Any chance of a more overall photo?

I take it the over bridge is where the station used to start?

Hi Graham, I will post a picture of a wider view when its a tad more developed. Which shouldn't be too long, it hasn't changed a great deal from how it used to be to be honest. I just need to tidy it up a bit.

Regarding the bridge, you are correct its near enough where the platform used to start.. The fiddle yard is just 4 lines, which I'm hoping will be more than enough, considering its really a layout for locos and a few wagons.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Evening,

Just a brief update on life at Redbrook...

I have managed to do some work on the RES shunter, it is now numbered as 08873 and has had the overhead warning flashes applied. I have no idea how I could replicate the Hunslet sign and logo on the side. I did look at the Precision labels website but didn't understand the requirements one little bit so I guess mine wont have them. Also need some other warning signs, think they are explosion ones?? to go on the sides, and of course a bit of weathering.

I did attempt to wire extra pickups to it, but failed miserably, there may be a move to Exford Park at some point for the additional maintenance.

post-6849-0-75105100-1344464388.jpg

There has also been a new arrival in the guise of 66504, it's awaiting final clearance before being put into business.

I still have lots to do and at the moment I'm attempting to build my own depot building. I just haven't got the skills but thought I'd have a go. Its going to be a two road depot but with an additional entrance road for vehicle access into the stores area.

I know I'm going to end up re-using my pikestuff one though.

FInally I had a moment of madness and have started my own website for Redbrook.(see link below) It is very much work in progress. I need to do add a track plan to it. What I really need is to work out how to use the readily available track planning sites but once again I'll probably end up with a Windows "paint version". Quality I know!

I also need to add lots of pictures....

Back to work tomorrow for more 12 hour shifts, so once again my modelling time disappears for a week.

Thanks for looking

Scott

• RMweb Premium

I have managed to do some work on the RES shunter, it is now numbered as 08873 and has had the overhead warning flashes applied. I have no idea how I could replicate the Hunslet sign and logo on the side. I did look at the Precision labels website but didn't understand the requirements one little bit so I guess mine wont have them.

Hi Scott,

Precision have done the Hunslet label - but as a special commission. This is 08401 - the first loco done specifically for my Langmoor project.

PM on it's way.

post-408-0-06918700-1344465389.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Phil,

thanks for the comment, thankfully the 12 hour shifts finished yesterday so its business as usual now. still got another shift to go though before a day off.

The green team should be expanding by 1 this week, another 66 to the fleet. I will stop soon...

On another positive note, John from Precision came up trumps with the transfers. I hope to get them applied in the near future.

Big thanks to Mick for getting the ball rolling and John for coming up with the goods.

I'll post a picture when its done. Hunslet, the owners of the real 08 873 want a photo when its complete too!

Cheers

Scott

Thought I would add a trackplan,

post-6849-0-73062000-1344807014.jpg

The scenic side is now just over 14' long by 2' wide. The fiddle yard is about the same.

The red lines indicate stabling areas, the one above the grey rectangle box continues under the bridge for the length of one 66.

The black lines leading under the bridge are all bi directional and go to the imaginary container terminal.

Hope it makes sense. I will do a better diagram at some point.

Cheers

Hi Scott,

I really like the look of this, could we finally have a plan you are happy with. :locomotive: I think you could also backdate it if you want and run stuff from the 90s.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the positive comments, I am happy with it and I am looking forward to continuing with the theme. I had already thought about having the option of back dating it, I have my eye on some locos from the past. Mainly 47's.

I have also thought about adding some over head wires on a couple of lines too... Plenty of options.

Cheers

Scott

Last one from me tonight! I seem to have had a productive time today.

I've finished off the wiring, all be it a rats nest but I will rewire it in the future when I get another points decoder and lose the control panel.

As standard, after the wiring I had to have a test (play)

59203 is captured sneaking out of the green territory with the empty TTA's, tripping them back to Eastleigh.

post-6849-0-42372100-1344982698.jpg

08530 pushes 66504 onto the outside pit. This is a Lima model that has had its inner workings disabled so that it can be pushed around the depot and be used for double headers. Seems to work ok and doesn't look too bad compared to the Bachmann sheds. Just need a way of fixing some smaller couplings to it.

post-6849-0-53817600-1344982699_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Scott

The bear looks great on the TTA's. The freightliner theme is great, it's nice to see some modern freight stock not all in EWS.

Good idea about the dummy shed aswel. Makes shunting more interesting with loco's and not just wagons.

Keep the pictures coming, looks cracking!

Jack.

Great pics as usual Scott. Nice idea with the Lima 66 too.

Your fuel tankers look good. Did you weather them yourself? I could do with 1 or 2 of those for First Avenue.

Dave

Archived