• RMweb Premium

So have we got a steel terminal now? Building looks good so far and hides the mousehole well! I think Leon used that sort of plastic board for a lot of his background buildings if I remember right, is that its natural colour or have you sprayed it already?

Hey Scott, loving the recent pictures, the freight terminal looks great where you have it as does the track work. Great shot with the four Railfreight VGA,s, inspired me to work on my steel terminal more. Looking forward to more up dates.

Happy New Year mate,

All the best

Leon

Good Morning,

Lets start with the building, yes I guess it is a Steel terminal at the moment, but only due to the steel wagon parked within. I'm not sure if it will remain as such or just be a distribution centre to allow varied traffic? Ian, the material was originally white on one side and a huge photo ad on the other, thankfully I had some Halfords grey primer so gave it a quick spray last night. Still need to add edging, fans, vents etc.....

Leon it's your fault, I had a look at your layout again, the industrial theme is appealing, and of course the TTG action.

Which leads me on to 66's question. I have 6 37's. although one of which is a DRS one so does not fall into my current era now. Another one for Ebay maybe? Although I may have to just check when 37038 became DRS just in case it sneaks in.. My period is going to be 1995 -2000 ish. That way I should be able to use my 67 and come to think of it maybe my FL 66's as I see they were introduced in 1998. Just need to find out which ones or maybe I'm just getting carried away.

Cheers,

Scott

##edit## Just checked on 37038 looks like 2003 it was painted into DRS, so out of the zone. Shame as I like that loco..

Hi Scott.

The 90's naughties theme Is very nice.

As you mentioned you can get away with running Fred's and 67's & EWS 66's. (similar to what I did with my TMD layout.)

EWS shuv-duffs would be a good edition, lovely looking loco's would buffer up to 67's nicely.

I've lost my modelling bug at the minute...your pictures have just restored the lost passion, so thanks :-)

Keep posting them up it's always a pleasure to visit Redbrook. Old and new.

Jack.

Hi Scott. Really like how the new building is shaping up. Have you seen this months model rail with the steel terminal? Might give you some ideas for finishing. The layout in the mag has a thread on here somewhere.......... It's just a case of finding it!!!

Guy

Thanks chaps..
Jack I'm glad its given you a push, I often get my mojo back after looking at other layouts..

Grimleygrid, funnily enough I'm looking at a couple of 60's on Ebay. Not sure about the 56's though. I fancy a Transrail one but not sure if the Hornby one is any good. I thought some of them were ok but others are just old tooling. I'l have to look into it a bit more.

Guy, I know the one you are talking about, Horseley Fields.  Working doors and a crane in N. very impressive.  

The issue I have with the new structure is the length, it can only house one and a bit BDA or a couple of VGA's or telescopic steel wagons. Ideally I'd like a few more to fit. I was thinking of moving to the other end of the layout where the fiddle yard is, but then that will change the whole dynamics of the layout and I'll be back to how it was! Which is most unlike me... If I extend it where it is, it seems to dominate the area way too much.

No chance of getting out in teh gargae tonight sadly. Having a gathering at our house. Its the last thing I wan't. I was at work all day and I'm back in again tomorrow at 7.   Happy New Year!

See you all on the other side.

Scott

Scott, you said you can only get a few wagons into the building, can you do what I have done with my steel works and run the track through the back and into the fiddle yard?  That would let you increase the lenght of trains.

Just a thought

Leon

Happy New Year by the way.

Morning Leon,

Funnily enough while I was waiting for the guests to arrive last night I went out and had another look.

I looked at moving the shed a bit futher down the layout and opening up the backscene. that would give me room for 2 bda's and a telescopic wagon. I'm not sure I willl have enough room to extend the line through to the fiddleyard as there is no room to put the curves. 

I'm now looking to see if dutch 33's were ever seen in the South Wales area as this appears to be where this layout is heading and 33065 is en route to me!

Incidently last night was not as bad as I expected, we played the "Mr & Mrs" board game which was a real laugh and I would recommend it.

Cheers,

Scott

• RMweb Gold

I like the new building and the advantage of the patching bits of track is the ballast will look like the real thing when they sort out wet beds etc, a nice subtle different colour to the surrounding stuff.

Glad last night was good, I did see a lot of 33's in South Wales around that time, I use to live along the South Wales mainline in Cardiff and there was a regular run to Margam Yard with scrap EMU and coaching stock. I always looked forward to them passing, you could here the 33 coming and always had interesting mix of stock, it's something I will do eventually.

Right then, Steel industry advisors.

I have taken on board what you have said and tonight I have been out and put it into practice.

The building now has an extra door installed, this one (left hand side) enables the line to carry on through into the fiddle yard.

The middle door is as before and I can get a couple of wagons in if I so wish or I may just have it as closed. I'm undecided at the moment.

post-6849-0-64114300-1357081147.jpg

[Apologies for the quality of  picture but it was taken with my phone]

I had to relay part of the track and cover over the holes in the baseboards where the inspection pits once were. Thats what the white card is in the picture.

Thats all I managed tonight, despite having a long list of other bits.

Cheers,

Scott 

Looks good Scott,

Leon is right about the scrap train it worked from Bournemouth to Margam with Scrap units, I have a pic somewhere. I only ever saw a 33/1 on the train though. There used to be Rugby specials with used to run to Cardiff I remember reading about a Dutch liv 33/1s working these trains. Plus why not a class 33 on a Sprinter substitute with a couple of NSE MK2s in tow.

Cheers Peter.

Evening all,

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate that the layout changes all the time, I guess this is what I enjoy about the hobby?? I have smiled to myself a few times when I've done something and thought I'm sure I've done this before. If only I had left it how it was the first time I could have had a finished layout by now!  Never mind, I'm having fun and thats what it's all about.

I managed to get half an hour out in the garage tonight so did a bit more to the new building.  Still have a lot to do but if I keep getting half an hour here and there then it shouldnt take too long.

The Corus sign is just attached with blu-tack  to see if it was suitable.    

37514 can be seen shunting the empties, prior to travelling to another South Wales location seen on this forum.

post-6849-0-43665900-1357255356.jpg

Cheers,

Scott

Hey mate, looks great. I tell you might also look good, where I work now in Cardiff Docks some of the steel is loaded outside using a "large" fork lift, something like that would look good out the front of the building, they were loading BDA,s and VTG covered wagons.

Hopefully you can get sometime over the weekend and look forward to seeing more,

Cheers

Leon

• RMweb Premium

Coil forklifts often have a single central bar for lifting the coils. I have also seen one also with a single bar shaped to lift a coil and lay it at right angles to the truck. This is so that the coils can be placed lengthwise on a wagon or lorry, the best description of it is that it was shaped like half of a coat hanger. Forklifts often are supplied with an interchangeable set of forks for different types of load. The elfin safety people would be having kittens if the wrong type was used.

Archived