Good morning,

The sun is shining down south so no reason not to be happy today...

Swifty, nothing to do with the Res 47... its another 37.

Having purchased a bit of stock over the last couple of weeks I thought I shoule really crack on with the layout, so I've put away most of the rolling stock tp prevent me from playing!

Last night I laid some more track to have the sidings as through sidings now, with the track continuing round to eventually become a roundy roundy again.

Here are a couple of pictures of the new end:

post-6849-0-11418700-1360921854.jpg

post-6849-0-75149200-1360921868.jpg

And a view looking back the other way to the already established track.

post-6849-0-29586800-1360921877.jpg

post-6849-0-51139600-1360921889.jpg

Finally a general shot of the almost empty yard, with the shunters on the final clear out.

post-6849-0-13376600-1360921899.jpg

Still hoping to get to the Warminster show tomorrow, but its my youngest lads 3rd birthday too so he may be coming with me...

Thats it for now.

Cheers,

Scott

Cheers Graham,

AS Ian says, deja vous, the layout was once like this many moons ago, This layout is a bit like my wifes shopping habit.  Go into the first shop, see something that she really likes but doesn't buy it.  Then walk round hundreds of other shops before returning to the first shop and buying the original thing she saw. 

If I had done that my layout would have been finished years ago....  Still its been a fun journey.

Ian,
Still working on tomorrow but I'm confident I'll get a pass for part of the day, its just the guilt I'll have a problem dealing with! 
Hope you've made it back down south and the move to Warminster goes ok.

Cheers

Scott

Well as Sunday seems to be layout update night heres mine.

I have started on the woodwork for the roundy roundy, quite pleased with myself actually. Would be a lot easier with modern power tools but my trusty saw and pencil seemed ok. I quite like the way it leans to one side.  :sarcastic:

I've done the frames, just need to get the plywood for the tops and then build the lift up flap for across the door. Problem being I have 3 kids to entertain over the school holidays, so may take a while.

Not a lot has happened on the layout as I've been woodworking. However I have added some transfers to my recently aquired yellow departmental coach. Hardened departmental fans with oodles of knowledge look away now:

post-6849-0-40431200-1361143216.jpg

post-6849-0-59106100-1361143226.jpg

I know its not proyotypical and you wont find it in any spotter books but I think its believable, and I guess thats what matters as its on my layout in my imaginary world...

I have also had a go at renumbering my most recent loco, a large logo class 37/4. It was 37425 but in 1996 425 was in regional railways livery. The only loco listed that was in the large Logo livery was 37408 "Loch  Rannoch"

And here she is getting a suck of fuel at Redbrook. 

post-6849-0-95050600-1361143236.jpg

post-6849-0-73220400-1361143246.jpg 

I think thats just about it for the update tonight.

Cheers,

Scott

• RMweb Premium

. However I have added some transfers to my recently aquired yellow departmental coach. Hardened departmental fans with oodles of knowledge look away now:

Before my time...... :senile:

If it had Network Rail stickers though. :triniti:

Cheers,

Mick

• 3 weeks later...

Evening,

I've been a bit quiet on this thread recently, I am still modelling, honest..

Things are going ok, I have been doing a bit more wood work. The boards are all in place on the outer edge of the workshop. Including the lift up flap across the main door in. I'm actually quite pleased with this, although proffesional carpenters would just laugh. It works and thats the main thing. I always thought rustic was quite trendy!

I haven't had chance to lay any track yet, although I have played about with a bit and the curves should be quite flowing and not be too tight.

The other bits I have been doing is renumbering locos.
All are 37's, and I have to say its been a right pain in the a##e. I'm not overly keen on the Fox Transfers which leave a kind of yellow ish backing. Maybe I've been doing it wrong but I'm hoping a bit of Klear and weathering will disguise it. That and the wonky numbers. I'll blame it all on the work experience guy at Canton.

I had a new arrival today in the guise of 37905 in Metals sub sector livery, that should look at home on the steel workings. I've also ordered a Legomanbiffo sound chip for it from DCkits. Just waiting for that to arrive. It's been 7 days so far, was hoping it would be here by now. :umbrage:  

Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures soon of the  Cardiff based fleet and also some of the woodwork so you can get an idea of how its going.

I'll leave you with this picture of 37429 which had arrived earlier in the day from Exford Park.It's since had a transformation and has a new identity.

Dave works out how much T-cut he requires.

post-6849-0-06779800-1362609898.jpg

Cheers

Scott

Good news, the sound chip has arrived, even better news I had a letter from my bank today about PPI. Now I have to resist buying more sound chips and pay off some of my bills!

Hope to get out to the workshop at some point tonight and have a play but I've got to wait for the mini pitbulls to go to bed. (dont worry they wont be home alone, Mrs Pitbull is in residence!)

Fingers crossed I get to report my findings on the chip soon, I've always been a Howes man until now.

Cheers

Scott

Ok,   managed to get 45 mins in the garage. Sound chip fitted, after some slight modifications within the shell. Had a quick test and all appears to work well.  Didn't have much of a test though as my track is dirty and its currently being used as a renumbering station so no room to run up and down.
Its going to take some time to get familiar with the chip. The horns are not self cancelling so need to be quick on the buttons to get two tones going.

Once the track is clean then I will post a quick vid of 905 pottering about. Until then, heres a pic of it at the stabling point.

post-6849-0-47606100-1362697407.jpg

Here is 37427, re-numbered from 37429. Still need to do a couple of little things to this one, like varnish the transfers, add a lamp bracket above the headcode box and have a go at weathering it too.

post-6849-0-40993300-1362697440.jpg

37514 has now become 37521, another Cardiff based loco. I had to remove the Metals markings and replace with the petroleum ones.

post-6849-0-54830300-1362697459.jpg

And 37674 is partly done so thought I would add a picture of that too.

post-6849-0-64472400-1362697449.jpg

All of these locos are still to be finished and I'm hoping that some crafty weathering will cover up any issues or errors that become apparant as I carry on with this project.

I'm also working on 37673 too.

Thats it for now, thanks for looking.

Scott

Evening,

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm not buying anymore locos for a while now. (famous last words) 

Just a brief update on the layout tonight, not a great deal going on.

I've put away most of my rolling stock to allow work to commence on the trackwork and to prevent me playing trains. 

I did take a short movie of my new 37 with sound. Its a legomanbiffo sound chip. Have to be honest I'm not taken with it yet, not sure why though. One thing I don't like is the horn operation where you have to press each tone off and on. (you'll notice in the clip I wasn't very quick with it!)   F4 does nothing which seems a waste but I do have a guards whistle! 

I also thought I'd post a few pictures of the new bit of woodwork, I apologise in advance for the state of the workshop.

Picture 1, is the view from the current scenic sidings (the opposite end from the depot).

post-6849-0-75463500-1363041758.jpg

Picture 2, is the lift up section, not sure if I'm going to double track across yet or just use the inner line as a headshunt as far as the flap. 

post-6849-0-82109100-1363041765.jpg

Picture 3, is the view around to the other side of, the curve track is there to show where the next board will go. Straight down the middle of the workshop. 

post-6849-0-77350400-1363041772.jpg

Thats it for now.

Cheers

Scott

Edit- Having just looked at the DCkits website the legomanbiffo chips  may need some practice before getting the sounds right, ie various ways of driving the loco. F4 only works when the loco is moving slowly, so I'll try tomorrow and see how I get on. 

Archived