Thornaby TMD No More

Thornaby Depot is in the process of demolition.

In a similar mood to the Margam thread, I still cannot grasp how the workforce/unions tolerate the change in working conditions from a covered heated repair and maintenance facility to working outside in all weathers to fuel locomotives and repair wagons. Clearly the depot was too big for the amount of work but to go to no depot at all appears a step too far. Reduction of the facility to the size of Tyne Yard's building would appear proportional to workload. Surely reduction in size or build new covered accomodation is the answer. Until recently the wheel lathe was in regular use, what happened to that?

For those that do not know the area, the Tees estuary is notorious for the high winds and rain it endures.

My wife works in the ol industry and when it was suggested repairing a piece of equipment in the open, the unions were quick to stop that. The equipment was removed to a coveerd workshop. Yet in the privatised railways outside working is tolerated?

I have a business background and have worked with 'the great asset to a business is its workforce' ethic. I do not see it here.

I don't get it!

MIke Wiltshire

As the pics show Thornaby has gone from complete depot, through demolition to exposed fuel and repair

post-9992-0-85421900-1307008676_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-27326100-1307008700_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-52721600-1307008749_thumb.jpg

Also interesting to note that as soon as locos were left in sidings rather than a secure shed, serious problems started to occur with pikeys nicking the wiring looms for the copper. As 'nado chasers will know from last week with all the delays getting the darn thing out of York.

Guest Max Stafford

A similar situation exists at Carlisle where the wagon fitters used to have a dedicated heavy repair facility at Currock with machine shop, lifting gear, sawmill and proper messing and washing facilities - Currock had it all.

A couple of years back, they were thrown out and now operate from a couple of portacabins on a windswept fringe of Kingmoor Yard, outdoors in all weathers.

Currock depot lies rotting an a half-dismantled state, sold to developers who hoped to make a fortune from building as many habitable boxes as they could, but are hamstrung by objections from the nearby residents of the single street from which access can be gained.

This is what you get in a world where accountants are God and the parasites, sorry shareholders must have their dividend regardless of the human cost.

I'm afraid that the conditions of workers in the UK (and I include myself in this) are generally considered an inconvenience by organisations which cannot stomach reference to people and instead prefer to label them as resources thereby reducing their material value to that of a pair of workboots or a photocopier. <_<

Dave.

Its all about money at the end of the day, less overheads, more profit its the way the world goes round, i think the strength of the worker and the power of the union are no more and its just a case of do your job or look for another one, as harsh it sounds they poor guys have no choice in our current economical climate, i myself work for a large worlwide company and even the union reps are scared to stand up when they need to or should do.

its a gret shame and a great loss to our heritage but thats the state we are in, R.I.P Thornaby

Cheers

Neil

Yet in the privatised railways outside working is tolerated?

Remember a huge amount of of work on the railway is outside!

I find it rather quaint having a roof...!

I must confess that from personal experience and observation over 20-plus years involvement in T&RS maintenance, you get a far better quality diagnosis and repair when you have access to the appropriate and necessary facilities for doing the job. Lying in the four-foot with a head-torch may be appropriate for parts of incident recovery when a train can't be moved, but it's frowned upon for routine stuff. I know 66s are pretty agricultural and maybe less sensitive than our better loved classes of yore, but I'm assuming it's only blocks and fuel, i.e. basic servicing, that we're talking about being done in the field.

A victim of the decline of industry on Teesside and the UK in general, but a sad sight all the same :(

AFAIK it's just fuel and maybe 'A' exams which are undertaken at Thornaby/Tees these days. Pic shows 60074 being fuelled 'in flight' earlier in the year while working 6D11 empties from Lackenby - Scunthorpe.

post-578-0-60703600-1307028445_thumb.jpg

It's a sad sight to see TE like this. I went round TE a number of times in the early/mid 80's to collect numbers/photograph engines. Ity was always so full of locos but sadly the railway is a different place today. I too can't see how progress can be achieved by working out in the open etc but I guess jobs are so short these days (especially around TE) that anyone will do the work. Not a very progressive society though. When I look back to the late 70's/80's the railway really was a different place with lineside vegetation in check and things much better looked after.

I can remember clearly my one visit to the actual shed - it was 4:30am on a wet winter morning around 1978/79, Thornaby station still had proper buildings!

I was with my dad, we went to the shed foreman's office for permission to go around and he was pretty shocked to say the least, we actually got a guided tour as it was still dark and the shed was gearing up for a day's work.

A couple of hours earlier I had been watching Deltics on Anglo-Scottish Sleeper services, those were the days.

A sad end to one of the last 'big' BR era TMDs in the country. I too think that the cutbacks were severe, a small steel 2 road structure like that at Arpley yard could have been built quickly and relatively cheaply to act as an undercover facility to service locos. This would be a better working envrionment for the fitters and egineers employed by DB Schenker to service and fuel locos at Tees Yard.

Also after looking at that image of 60074 being refuelled while working a train makes me wonder if on day the railway will have pit stop refuelling with small 'petrol station' style facilities dotted around yards,mainlines and even stations! :lol:

This can be related to the contracts laid out, ours state we will work outside if required, in practice this is limited to station work, and emergencies BUT the company would be within their rights to make us work outside providing they could cover the hse requirements for lighting et al.

I know a lot about HSE law with regards to the work envrionment and the facilities provided at the new stabling/fueling point at Tees Yard do meet the requirments as there are welfare facilities (cabins and offices for breaks/eating) etc however it still is the most basic facilities possible. If I was use to working in the comfort of Thornaby TMD adapting to these reduced facilities out in the open would be rather bad,although I suppose its better than redundancy!

I wonder if DB Schenker has considered moving all loco maintenance to the continent and closing Toton TMD!

That way DBS would have no major maintenance facility in the whole of the UK!

Its very sad to see Thornaby go not that I ever went there but still thats progress saving money and all that.

I was very sad to see Bath Road reduced to rubble a good few years ago as it was my local depot and spent many hours on platform 10 seeing the comings and goings back in the 80s/early 90s.

Other depots that I never visited but should of were Tinsley, Immingham, Eastfield, Finsbury Park etc, etc.:bad:

I have a business background and have worked with 'the great asset to a business is its workforce' ethic. I do not see it here.

I don't get it!

MIke Wiltshire

As the pics show Thornaby has gone from complete depot, through demolition to exposed fuel and repair

Mike

You would if you had worked for EWS/DRS

The same thing happened at Toton 6 yrs ago with TRS. I would imagine that it is certainly no fun changing pads /blocks on a freezing cold January day .

:(

Pete

I was passing today on the train and demolition is well underway as stated. I first visited with my dad in the late 80's during a national rail strike, we crossed the picket line without trouble to have a wonder around the shed (with perrmission). I laugh to myslf now as I am An RMT local staff rep!!! SSSSH dont let Bob Crow know.

Thats such a shame to see Thornaby like this but it does all come down to money and the fact that with the economic downturn the need for so many block workings has dwindled away in the area. I lived and worked in Stockton for a year back in 2000 and lived in the flats next to the river and from the lounge window I could just see the tops of the many workings going into the yard with so many 56's and 60's in action. The really sad thing is depsite living right next to it all and seeing both loco and heavy frieghts on a daily basis I never took a single photo of any of it.

Mark

I'm going to ask a question about freight.

There are heaps of lorries going about their business up and down the motorways of Britain.

Each has a driver and each uses fuel.

The idea of a train is that many wagons or carriages can be strung together and transported by one prime mover with one driver.

This should work out to be far far cheaper than the one driver, one engine story with a lorry.

Why then is it not possible to construct wagons which are able to carry a lorry with it's payload?

And run them in a train to a schedule from say London to Carlisle?

Clearances presumably?

But clearances were changed in the 1960s when the WCML was electrified so clearances can be changed although slinging up wires everywhere doesn't help.

Is it time for a rethink?

Archived