'Railroad' Tornado

MarkC

The 4mm namplates are the same size as the ones printed on the deflector so its quite easy to line those up. For the secondary plate I found a photo similar to this http://www.flickr.co...rpe/3937019917/ and judged it by eye. I only dabbed a minute amount of superglue on it.

So is it just the nameplates in the Fox Transfer set and then printing the naming plaque off or do the naming plaques come with the nameplates

The plaques come in a set with the nameplate and the number for the smokebox door.

Product code FEP60163 on fox transfers website

They cost a little bit, alternatively you can get the printed deflectors http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-TORNADO-SMOKE-DEFLECTORS-X6344M-NEW-SPARES-/320731985714?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4aad1db732

The plaques come in a set with the nameplate and the number for the smokebox door.

Product code FEP60163 on fox transfers website

They cost a little bit, alternatively you can get the printed deflectors http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4aad1db732

Thanks may try getting that set at somepoint. Shame there is no A1 Trust Headboard (other than the one in the TMC Bachmann Tornado) or a Steam Dreams Cathedrals Express headboard.

I have no luck getting ANY body parts from Hornby for any of my steam locos.....

Waste of time.

Ask East Kent Models - they will dismantle China-made engines for spares if you really need. In their current PDF spares lists they are already listing parts for the Peppercorn A1.

• 2 years later...

Quick question to anyone who owns one of these engines - the bearings in the chassis of Hornby's Tornado. Are they round or round brass bearings, or are they the square-cut bearings as found on the 42/72xx, P2, Duke, etc.?

They are the same standard bearings (brass bearings inset into round axle boxes in the die cast chassis) as that seen on the main range A3 and A4.

Do we have definitive knowledge about the fitness for service of the square or semi-square bearings? Likely life as in hours of running?

Can't give one as yet for DoG but twenty hours of running of a 42xx over the 2013 summer indicated some wear in the square axle holes (located in the roof of the axle box). This was under strictly test conditions on a running road at high speed and not indicative of normal service on a model railway.

I would surmise that we will be looking at these models in a few years and asking the question then as to the suitability of the axle boxes. Personally speaking I feel square axle boxes also have the ability to create potential stress points in the inside corners, and it is this I am watching closely on my DoG for signs of cracking or wear over the next few years and much running in both on a test track and a rolling road.

However it could all be completely unfounded and the material the die cast chassis is made up be perfectly agreeable for the job. It is a technically retrograde step and will not improve running better than a chassis with brass bearings but thus far has not hindered the relatively smooth running of my 71000. Of more concern are the one piece coupling rods but that's for another thread.

The Tornado model Hornby produced is the best of all worlds in my opinion. Design clever produced an excellent chassis, and a nice budget body and tender. The model retails for a not unreasonable £75 when new in the Railroad range and the paint job is normally top notch on the main range model. The only downside are the plastic buffers, but they are removable and easily replaceable.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Did I notice on the Hattons site http://www.ehattons.com/69505/Hornby_R3245TTS_Class_A1_Peppercorn_4_6_2_Tornado_in_BR_Blue_as_running_on_mainline_TTS_Sound/StockDetail.aspx that the latest (TTS Sound) Hornby Tornado now has cab glazing.

The first time I believe for either the Railroad or 'Special Edition' versions?

Edited by jonathan452

• 6 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've been looking through this thread and a few others to see if there was any mention of replacement motor for Tornado. The replacement is X6331 but I vaguely remember that you could replace it with a 5 pole version rather than the three pole X6331.  I might be getting confused with the P2.  Does anyone know the X number and have they done it ?  Not up to heavy engineering  really just looking for a slot in replacement.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, scumcat said:

Hello

i replaced my P2’s motor with a five pole type. I bought it from eBay X6199 I believe it’s the same motor as you need. It says it’s for the 2800 but it fits. It doesn’t have the fly wheel though. Hope this helps

Thanks Scumcat , Just the job

• 4 weeks later...

My Bachmann Tornado in the far one in Doncaster Green  / L N E R Green inside cab all pipe work and dial are painted.  The blue Tornado is the TTS version Railways nothing in the cab is painted in any deatail only detail on cab is glassed windows. The black tornado is / was the blue enhanced r 3206  version but that was basically the railroad version .  Tornado in brunswick / British Railways green is the railroad version. Quality wise the Bachmann Tornado is the best.

20210314_150122.jpg

• Like 2

I managed to replace my Tornado's motor for the 5 pole, same as what I did for the P2. P2 is a bit grindy but Tornado seems about the same as the 3-pole. Might need running in or some extra pickups (no tender pickups). Managed to blow my DCC chip at the same time. Wondering if I can squeeze a TTS chip with a cube speaker in the smokebox.

1 hour ago, Coldgunner said:

I managed to replace my Tornado's motor for the 5 pole, same as what I did for the P2. P2 is a bit grindy but Tornado seems about the same as the 3-pole. Might need running in or some extra pickups (no tender pickups). Managed to blow my DCC chip at the same time. Wondering if I can squeeze a TTS chip with a cube speaker in the smokebox.

Yeah I have put Sugercube speakers in my Tornados that I fitted in smoke box.  I took smoke box door off so I could fix speaker in place under chimney area.

1 hour ago, Coldgunner said:

May I ask which speaker you bought?

I got this one from Roads And Rails 26  X 11mm X 4mm 8 ohm  .

richard@roads-and-rails.co.uk  www.roads-and-rails.co.uk

Screenshot_20210308-134749_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by DonnyRailMan
  • Like 1