Bachmann BR Std. Class 3 photos?

josh993

Cor! Wot are the locos? Kbs?

That's line of oil-fired Ka's 4-8-4s lined up for four North Island Main Trunk expresses in Palmerston North in 1961 (Agfa Clack camera)... it was summer, and each 15-total express had a 'relief' of about 12-total, leaving Wellington (90 miles away with English Electric 1,800hp 1,500V DC overhead) at 3.40 6.00 7.30 and 9.00pm.

The best young crews did the 3.40, the old guys did the 7.30 'Limited'.

Limited was diesel 1963 , all others 1965. Most days a 5-7 total with observation does the run these days. NZRail I think

off topic! alert!

Kb's were the coal fired versions 47 sq ft grateswhich worked the Christchurch-Midland Line, which these days has a very large sometimes 16-total tourist train, as well as coal trains;

cab views of this line available, but here is the line built as late as 1944 by Italian tunnelers near Kaikoura...

severely off-topic.

but I do know about SR 2-6-2Ts with the work they did. We had Hunslet and Bagnall 0-6-0s which were complete artists shifting up to sixteen empty carriages into platforms, skidding and exactly right with nine platforms all used in the evening 'peak' 4.30pm-5.40pm mechanical interlocked with automatic signalling, they were artists, with 'A box' operating the throat like a mother duck, the timing sequences were down literally to seconds, and in the many years I saw it ('60-75) there was no failure at all, with a two track throat that was no easy feat, ... I could go on, but it is off-topic.

Rob

Carefull driving doesnt require sanders:P

Well, OK., but you are enterely wrong there, as you well know. <g> With steam shifting loads away from mainline expresses particularly, moving 500 tons of coal or goods across the ECML ...

...here is what is easy, a tourist camera, good weather, but good weather, I don't think use of sand was relevant, it's much different in the high freezing gales, the viaducts built 1900-12 are steel and the one at the mid-point of the clip is 238ft high, and it's earthquake country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p9BMlUspb8&feature=related

off topic, sorry, so I'll bet that SR 2-6-2Ts used sanders with art.

Rob

??61 at Hattons, thats three for every CoT

Not quite 2 1/2 really, I doubt the NRM will round the amount up for you ;).

I was hoping the green would would stay away until after xmas as I really want to get one. Hmm, lets hope my pay finally comes in!

Hattons has now posted piccies of the green one. Looks nice to my untrained eye for the livery although again i'd love the boiler bands to be a bit finer on the amount of orange.

It sure looks a splendid model; and it was always one of my favourite prototypes. I had the old Tri-Ang Hornby version back in the 1960's, but one of those, even if you could still find one on the second hand market, wouldn't match up to taday's standards.

My 82016 arrived this pm. Gave it the mandatory 2 hour run-in on an oval of Kato Unitrack and then fitted it with a Lenz Silver. There are three capacitors, one next to the socket, two more on the motor - they all got the chop. Just one thing to look out when refitting the body is that the front fixing screw is longer that two rear ones.

Hiya all, strange question but could someone please tell me the messerments for the loco, as i would like to know if it would fit in the headshunt of my small shuntting layout! Thanks all

40 feet 10 inches long,

hope this helps,

Rob

Well yes and no! I would like the model size, spose i should of put that! Could someone plz tell me then the MODELS messerments please!

Rob couldn't have made it any easier for you Tommy Mac - round it up to 50 (feet) and multiply by four - is errr....... 200 mm

Maybe a thanks to him and a bit of maths wouldn't have gone adrift?

Started gluing the steps etc on 82016 last night when a bottle of liquid poly fell over :O (okay I must have knocked it over :unsure:) - panic :blink: .

As a result I am now looking all over the floor for one piece of cab glazing (which in any case I was not going to fit as all the photos I have show the rear side cab window as being open) and one of the "pipe bracket" parts. Have 2 fire irons and 4 headcode discs - were there more ? Seems that the pipework can be fitted okay with a NEM Kadee in place, just some cannot hang vertically due to the coupler swing. Theres also what looks like a battery box - where does that go ?

Archived