Bachmann BR Std. Class 3 photos?

josh993

Notice that the sliding roof panel is larger on the green one.

Shows that there are variation amongst the least numerous of prototypes. Assuming this is correct for the prototypes modelled, well done Bachmann!

Having run in 82016 at length, I have come to the conclusion that the motor is less powerful than in other Bachmann locos, whilst it is smooth and steady at low speeds on DCC BEMF, if you place any resistance against it, it doesn't have the 'fight' that other locos have. The can motor is grey in colour and differs from those in the Jinty/Panniers/Small Prairie. Notwithstanding, it can pull 6 Mk1's around my loop with no problems, but slows rather than spinning it's wheels when resistance is greatest.

Hopefully this won't affect the longevity of the motor - we don't want another A1 saga.

N

Hiya all, strange question but could someone please tell me the messerments for the loco, as i would like to know if it would fit in the headshunt of my small shuntting layout! Thanks all

my apologies in my earlier reply I wrote 49 ft 10 inches and it's 40 feet 10 inches (I have since edited it)

which at 4mm to the foot = approx 163.5mm

sorry about my earlier error.

Rob

Notice that the sliding roof panel is larger on the green one.

Shows that there are variation amongst the least numerous of prototypes. Assuming this is correct for the prototypes modelled, well done Bachmann!

Having run in 82016 at length, I have come to the conclusion that the motor is less powerful than in other Bachmann locos, whilst it is smooth and steady at low speeds on DCC BEMF, if you place any resistance against it, it doesn't have the 'fight' that other locos have. The can motor is grey in colour and differs from those in the Jinty/Panniers/Small Prairie. Notwithstanding, it can pull 6 Mk1's around my loop with no problems, but slows rather than spinning it's wheels when resistance is greatest.

Hopefully this won't affect the longevity of the motor - we don't want another A1 saga.

N

If thats the case, Once I get mine and if it has the same problem maybe a new Mashima might do the trick along with some more weight?

• RMweb Premium

I went to get my one out of the box and noticed the the smoke box door was at a funny angle, yes the smoke box door does open. it is nice touch but considering that the loco will be used in a running with trains, it is OK if you wish to do a shed scene of the loco on shed with the fireman cleaning out the clinker.

The design of the hinge of the smoke is a little suspect in design, as the hinges are brass (unconfirmed) but the hinge bar is moulded plastic, and the weak is a point at the top and bottom of the door it self. The main thing though baring all design faults it is still a very good model to have in ones stud.

post-6815-12603573397331_thumb.jpg

I have no running problems to date with my model.

Terry

Note to self. Renumber and a light weathering required.:D and extra details to be added.

Guest Max Stafford

Mine's running nicely now. It did have a ropey smokebox door, but I've just secured that in place now, so no big deal there. :)

Dave.

There are a few commercial firms on here Rob, but hey....some are also modellers.biggrin.gif

The wobbling Class 3 2-6-2T has been mentioned several times. I hope it hasnt got Ivatt Tank symptoms as most of them had a limp too.

Larry

82029 - arrived this week - punctual and on time... No trace of a wobble - in fact a very smooth runner right out of the box. So far everything seems to be intact. A truly delightful model - the only thing wrong is the number - it should have been 82016... Still I live in Canada and those who know about shed numbers don't seem to live nearby smile.gif

Well i recived mine today very pleased with it but i had notcied i slight problem on the right hand cylinder on the Valve Spindle Corsshead witch left the Combination Lever rasied with wouldnt let it run after i sorted this out by gently pushing it back it runs fine

Here is a Video of 82016 Running in (The waddle is the loco as its on the ez rollers and it was filmed and photoed on my bed as i dont have a layout at the moment:( )

Here are some pictures too

DSC00058.jpg

DSC00059.jpg

This is a picture of the problem area as mentioned above.

DSC00060.jpg

After is had be pushed back

DSC00061.jpg

The not so great inside smokebox

DSC00064.jpgDSC00066.jpgDSC00070.jpgDSC00072.jpgDSC00068.jpg

Just noticed Hattons have whacked their price for the green version upto ??72 !!

??11 premium for a different livery blink.gif

Er no, just they are discounting it less presumably on economics of supply and demand as they typically adopt. The list price is ??76.05. Some thing with the EMU - blue grey are ??99 at Hattons but green are now ??129, list price is 50p more.

Back to the Std 3 tank discovered that the packaging needs to be trimmed if you have fitted the front steps. Also not certain over the headcode dics as they seem to have more detail mouldings on them than actual ones judging by photos.

• RMweb Gold

Er no, just they are discounting it less presumably on economics of supply and demand as they typically adopt.

Er yes, I know they are discounting it less, but compared to the black versions you are paying a premium of ??11 more just for green.

• RMweb Gold

Er yes, I know they are discounting it less, but compared to the black versions you are paying a premium of ??11 more just for green.

Supply and demand I suppose.I see Rails have sold out of theirs at ??59.50 .I wonder how many they had.Do Bachmann prioritize these two sellers in releases or does everyone get a fair crack of the whip.

• RMweb Gold

Do Bachmann prioritize these two sellers in releases or does everyone get a fair crack of the whip.

Bachmann rotate it so sometimes Rails will get the new releases first, sometimes Hattons and other times the smaller retailers.

They do try to keep it as fair as possible.

At least thats what I was told by one of the bigger retailers.

82016 arrived at the left hand side of the Atlantic today. Checking out the loco, I didn't find any of the problems other posters have mentioned. It ran very smoothly with only the slightest hint of a wobble that may be more due to my length of test track than anything wrong with the loco. For comparison's sake I brought out my original Tri-ang 82004 model. What a difference 50 years makes! Although 82004 still runs; crude but robust and noisy. Tri-ang's 82004 body makes a sounding box for the X04 motor and gear noise. I wonder why no acoustic engineer has expoited such a phenomenon for current sound equipped DCC locomotives.

Supply and demand I suppose.I see Rails have sold out of theirs at ??59.50 .I wonder how many they had.Do Bachmann prioritize these two sellers in releases or does everyone get a fair crack of the whip.

See my post on page 2 re quantity.

Rails and Hattons received their stock on the same day. Not always the case. I don't think that their is any bias. Just a desire on the part of Bachmann to get em out of their place ASAP.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

See my post on page 2 re quantity.

Rails and Hattons received their stock on the same day. Not always the case. I don't think that their is any bias. Just a desire on the part of Bachmann to get em out of their place ASAP.

Bernard

Bernard.I read yoyr post re 64 sold.I wondered whether thats the black and green versions together.My post was asking how many green ones they had at ??59.50 .

Bernard.I read yoyr post re 64 sold.I wondered whether thats the black and green versions together.My post was asking how many green ones they had at ??59.50 .

It was 64 for the North Eastern black version. That's the one I was after. I don't think the green one was available at that time. It does put rather a different slant on the old adage that only big express locos sell well. It might just lead the way for more smaller locos to be considered by the big 2.

Bernard

Also out of interest I received my green 3MT today and found it very impressive to look at, but there was a bit of work to do.

The brakerods were not located on three hangers , I spent some time getting five in, but one is stubbornly unwilling.. (glue eventually maybe), the regulator rod fell out of the cab from my poor handling but went back in, straight and correct, unlike many pics. The smokebox door reveals the tubeplate as illustrated here previously in the wrong place, ridiculously right behing the door, doesn't look easy to move without surgery, although the reference in the previous message shows how! Thanks. I have just put a spot of glue on my door and closed it. <g>

The tool-holder bracket on top if the fireman's-side water tank is vulnerable.

The engine stalls on type 2 or 3 curves as if shorting, no idea why, suspected front sand pipes so bent-shortened them by about 2mm, but still stops sometimes, only on curves. A dead sudden stop, faint buzz, and then requires a bit of power to re-start, sometimes, if reverse is chosen, otherwise replace on straight track and then seems OK again, albeit slightly 'sticky' to take off.

Importantly, it doesn't waddle! And looks great. Slightly growly, acceptably smooth, no hesitation on points, will now run it in. And stare at it malevolently if it stalls (locks? shorts?) again!

Rob

post script; after about 30 mins running it has behaved itself, although did stall twice at low speed, I suspect a mechanical thing possibly somewhere in the rods, ..and it is a good runner generally, the faintest of waddle and vertical slight ride 'bounce' at times, quite realistic, and a slight tight spot for very slow running. I DO like the 'handed' valve gear which also has realistic 'throw' unlike many RTR 00 models. ... and it hasn't stalled at all for a long time now. Cannot see any mechanical reason for the initial stalling, close look at rods, axles, and everything, pony truck springs are quite strong but run well on my type 2-3 radius layout.

overall...well pleased.

Archived