Japanese Prototype N Scale Desktop Layout

Sir Madog

Your ply construction looks really good!

I just wish I could find a shop of any description in London that sells such good quality ply, and cuts it with precision like that!

I am really inspired though - You've disguised the ballast perfectly! I'm very tempted to get some unitrack and try to put together something similar.

You could also use MDF board, if you can´t get hold of a sheet of decent plywood.

Just give it a start - you´ll like it!

Come to think of it - folks, there is no excuse for not starting on a layout anymore!

I was able o do some work on my third module this weekend, due to bad weather. It´s far from being finished, but already looks a lot better than just a brown colored baseboard!

P1020351.jpg

The module still needs a lot of finishing touches, but I am already quite happy with it.

Thanks, Stephen!

I am enjoying the construction of this layout very much. Building a module is not difficult, does not require any woodworking skills, and i find it also much easier to come up with some plausible and realistic looking scenery. Right now I am pondering to change the layout concept a little. Instead of assembling the modules on my desk, I might put them up on a small shelf along the wall.

Thanks, Stephen!

I am enjoying the construction of this layout very much. Building a module is not difficult, does not require any woodworking skills, and i find it also much easier to come up with some plausible and realistic looking scenery. Right now I am pondering to change the layout concept a little. Instead of assembling the modules on my desk, I might put them up on a small shelf along the wall.

I am still fiddling with my first two modules which are experimental at the moment. Ballasting has been a recent task which seems to have taken for ever. Certainly cannot keep up with your pace.

Additional photos (including closeups) of the new module would always go down well. Keep them coming :rolleyes:

Regarding your comment on changing the layout concept to be shelf based, the beauty of this approach is you can have both. Arrange the straights on a shelf but rearrange them with the corners to reconfigure as a oval on the desk. After all, you have already produced the bases for the corners.

I am still fiddling with my first two modules which are experimental at the moment. Ballasting has been a recent task which seems to have taken for ever. Certainly cannot keep up with your pace.

Additional photos (including closeups) of the new module would always go down well. Keep them coming :rolleyes:

Regarding your comment on changing the layout concept to be shelf based, the beauty of this approach is you can have both. Arrange the straights on a shelf but rearrange them with the corners to reconfigure as a oval on the desk. After all, you have already produced the bases for the corners.

That´s what I was thinking to do.

Putting up the layout on a narrow shelf has the advantage of being able to have a back scene and also to add lighting. Well, i guess it´ll mean back to the drawing board for a little while. I´ll post the results here for discussion.

I have just upgrade from "00" to "N", the alternative was to have an extra shed.

Bought a N set, unimpressed with the track, looked so flimsy, looked at Kato, impressive, bought a load of it, very impressed, looking forward to track laying with endless permutations.

John

• RMweb Gold

Certainly has interesting possibilities for a branch line uk layout using steam or a 153. If you make one of the modules a box then the controller could be fixed in with sticky Velcro, and the adaptor to stop things rolling around in transit.

Now the tram system has started to gain some staright plates this could be a possibility too.

Some better pictures of the now finished third module. There are still some details missing, like figures, a car at the grade crossing and some track side details, but that´ll have to wait until my next order to Japan.

P1020360klein.jpg

P1020359klein.jpg

P1020353klein.jpg

I have been draining and straining my brain on how to build the next module - the one to the right of the tunnel module. It needs to be some kind of a tunnel module, but I don´t want just to mirror the one I already have. I also want this module to be the scenic highlight of the layout, something spectacular, breathtaking - not an easy task on only 96 sq. inches!

This is my idea:

ModuleIVklein.jpg

Mike,

I try to stay as much as possible within the "grid" in order to ensure interchangeability. The standard length of a module is 310mm, with the track consisting of 1 piece of S248 and 1 piece of S64 track - the track protruding 1 mm at each end. The short length also ensures a high degree of stability of the construction - so far, I have not encountered any warpage or sagging.

Today, I attacked the next module:

P1020364klein.jpg

I will add the basic scenery tomorrow, using Styrofoam cut with a hot wire cutter.

Today´s my 27th wedding anniversary, but I spent most of the day working on the module :rolleyes: Well, not all the time, I did take my wife out for lunch, but only to cover the time i had to wait for the glue to set :pleasantry:

This is what I achieved today:

P1020373klein.jpg

I am not sure whether I like the "Green Wall" in the back of the module, so I played with some ideas. With a few cuts, I could make the module look like this:

P1020373kleinB-1.jpg

What do you think?

I think Mike is right - and imho without the wall there seems less justification for the archway micro tunnel?

A waterfall would just break up the green wall nicely, and gives a geological (is that right?) reason for the cut between the two tunnels - eroded by the watercourse over millenia.

Archived