Japanese Prototype N Scale Desktop Layout

Sir Madog

I am still undecided about the waterfall, but I will definitively get rid of the straight upper edge. I will then add the details still missing, step back for a while and re-visit the issue of the waterfall.

Anthony - beware, building mini-modules is contagious!

I might have already won a few folks for building mini-modules. A friend of mine has been working on his German prototype layout for over 10 years now. It is one of those basement filling empires which never get completed. He is now seriously thinking of taking it down and replace it with a N scale layout based on mini-modules. He likes the idea of each module being a scene of its own.

I have completed most of the reworking of my module - now it is back to planting shrubs and weeds. No pictures, yet, but it won´t be long, promised.

It´s been a busy weekend for me, working on my module. The weather in our neck of woods was not really inviting, so there was plenty of time to do the corrections I wanted to make.

Here are some of the latest pictures:

P1020399klein.jpg

P1020402klein.jpg

P1020400klein.jpg

It starts to look like I wanted it to. Needs some more details and the water added to the waterfall, but I am already quite happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...

There is only very little progress to report. All I did was to assemble a kit for a station building and platforms. The Tomytec kit came nicely painted and lightly weathered. All parts fitted nicely and literally snapped together.

The pictures show just a preliminary set-up, as I will be re-designing my station module.P1030015.jpg

P1030013.jpg

P1030016.jpg

Still needs a lot of work!

Ahem, it´s about time I put up that shelf for my layout, my wife is starting to complain about the "mess" on my desk!

Ulrich,

Gosh, I am now daydreaming every day about mini modules. Unfortunately I have to lay the blame entirely on you and your exquisite work. I really like the station module. I am very keen to see how this turns out because the station is the one section in modular format I havn't quite got my head around yet.

One quick question that I am interested to know. When you design your modules do you do it in such a way that they could go in any order or do you generally have a preferred order? I only ask because I see mini modules main strong point as being you can literally swap each one around at will...

Keep up the great work.

Stephen

Stephen,

I am really sorry for occupying your dreams :sungum:

Did I tell you that building a mini-modular layout is contagious?

Some remarks on the station module. The pictures just show a trial set-up. I am going to redo the module, making a longer one to avoid gaps. Of course, you cannot build a large station on only 6" depth, but you could make the station module a little bit larger to incorporate more track.

My modules are built with a specific order in mind, just to achieve a certain "flow" in the scenery, but they could be swapped, as the track always has the same position on the modules.

I wrote a little feature for the Japan Rail Modelers of Washington DC - if you are interested, you can find it here:

My layout

Thanks - I wish I could pass on the kudos to the guy who invented it, but unfortunately I don´t speak Japanese :no:

On the serious side, when I started out on this, I did not expect it turn out that well. As I wrote in my little article, I am a mediocre railway modeller, but these mini-modules bring out the best of me.

Thanks - I wish I could pass on the kudos to the guy who invented it, but unfortunately I don´t speak Japanese :no:

On the serious side, when I started out on this, I did not expect it turn out that well. As I wrote in my little article, I am a mediocre railway modeller, but these mini-modules bring out the best of me.

Looking at your modules I would certainly say you are more than a mediocre modeller. And as for those larger layouts, well I like them but if you can do great stuff in a small space then why go for all the size. Seeing what you have done in such a small space has made me wonder if I should rip up my current layout (I am not doing that just yet, maybe when we next move house!)

Thanks for the article you wrote. I found it very interesting. I am really impressed by the flexibility it offers. I like the idea of being able to have an end to end some of the time but a roundy roundy layout some other time.

The waterfall module reminds me a lot of the Luxulian valley in Cornwall.

Love this concept, and now you're getting me very tempted to try something similar. Has anyone tried to build a larger, more operation-centred layout based on mini-modules? Or combined mini-modules for scenic plain-line of a layout with more conventional stations on larger boards?

Tim H,

I don´t know whether this has been tried. Of course, there is a natural limit to what you can do on modules of roughly 6" by 12". I think it is quite possible to go as large as 12" by 24" without sacrificing the ease of construction or the simplicity of it. This would open up a whole bundle of new opportunities.

Right now I am starting to make plans for a layout using slightly bigger modules, but not for me - I´ll stay with my little Japanese themed line. A friend of mine is thinking about modeling the Swiss BLS line - from the southern mouth of the Loetschberg tunnel all the way down to Brig. It´s a double track main with quite a few smaller intermediate stations and spectacular scenery.

Ulrich, you have a lot to answer for. I have been following your various postings on this and other sites (they have almost become daily reading, so keep up the good work).

Very interested to hear of your friend modelling Swiss, as that is what I am working towards myself. I must admit I am questioning nearly every aspect of the conventional approach, which I did not really intend to disclose at this juncture. Like your friend double track is a must, as a quick experiment suggested that a simple round and round was less boring as a double track than a single trak. And that is really where the problems start.

The published standards give two track spacings: 25mm and 33mm. 25mm is really only suited to short vehicles such as trams etc. The 33mm "alternate" is of course based on the Kato track geometry designed to allow any sized vehicles to pass.

The problem is having produced a module to the 33mm standard, once ballasted, it looks wrong being far too wide. At present I am experimenting with a 27mm track spacing which looks far better for Swiss lines and usefully matches Peco turnout geometry. I have come up with track specification for corners that allow full length coaches to pass without fouling. The difference visually is considerable. I have adopted the 300mm width of module which gives greater leeway for scenery which you have hinted is something you would consider for the future. To my current way of thinking the T Trak approach has so much going for it and your efforts have really been the icing on the cake, so please keep up the good work.

The BLS was precisely what I was thinking, since I've got a lot of BLS stock. There's something of Viktoria tunnel about your waterfall module!

As for module length I've sketched a few ideas using 434 (7x62mm) as the base module length. That would let you do sweeping reverse curves using the R718 curves.

Following up from my previous post, a quick photo showing the different track spacings:

post-3717-0-75750300-1314120729.jpg

A problem modelling Swiss which has just been highlighted is typically scenic views are along the side of mountains and as such the ground "slopes" and of course those sweeping curves. One option is to build longer modules and use Peco flexitrack between Kato extremities.

I should also state that one of the problems with the 33mm track spacing is it restricts the use of non-Kato catenary which typically are not wide enough. The 27mm approach on the other hand does work.

Mike,

your post addresses some important issues. Track spacing is certainly an issue, catenary and curves with easements are others. A layout based on mini-modules relies on no other "fastener" than interlocking rail joiners, like Kato Unitrack or Tomix track offer. This ties you to their track geometry, which is difficult and cumbersome to alter. The toy-like appearance of the track can be changed by painting the rails and ballasting the track, so that is no issue. Adding wire to the catenary is virtually impossible.

Summing these issues up, I am inclined to say that the concept of mini-modules is fine with small and fairly simple shelf or table-top layouts, if you go bigger, there are too many drawbacks to that system. I am right now looking into planning that Swiss layout on the basis of N-Trak or Fremo module standrds, which appear to be much better suited.

Mini-modules are for people like me - mediocre railway modellers who want to achieve stunning results in a small layout.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that mini modules are the bee's knees. Such a simple concept. Catenary is a problem and the only option really is to leave the wires off (the other issue is where to locate them, presumably about midway of 308mm module. Adjusting the track spacing is feasible and I am hoping to prove this in practice (although it might exclude the use of Kato turnouts, but Peco turnouts are viable). I have worked out the geometry for curves, both 90 degree and 180 degree and tested it with my longest vehicles. Kato does allow code 80 flexitrack to be coupled which would permit easements to be incorporated however I have not gone that far yet.

I would never accuse you of being a mediocre railway modeller. Your work to date is proving a real source of inspiration to those of use that actually take the trouble to view postings with "N scale" in the title. As an aside I have also searched, and regularly visit, your other forum postings on the subject. So please, please, keep them coming and don't let me put you, or anyone off in any way. As stated a single track arrangement is much simpler to resolve the track spacing issue.

P.S You also have far more finished modules than I have (I havn't finished one yet - currently on my third attempt) which should tell you something ;)

Good for you. I too have had plenty of ambitious schemes, make a start, then give up. Every time I have reduced my ambitions and downsized. Not certain there is any more downsizing to do from T Trak!

What I like about T Trak is that I can work on individual modules on the dining room table. If I never get around to finishing one, at least I am only committing a relatively small amount of time and outlay. If I only finish a couple and use them as dioramas, again no hardship. If I make a hash of a module, scrap it and replace it.

As part of my simplification I started with a nice Swiss scenic layout with around 14 turnouts (which I intended to scratchbuld), but thought, it needs to be smaller with less turnouts. Trying to use turnouts and modelling a station adds considerably to size so I thought, OK forget a station. My last false start were two modules that basically formed a large double track circle but quite large. Final downsize (and in fairness is due to your thread here) is to have go at T Trak modules, but I doubt I will progress beyond a simple oval. If that fails I will just clip the track together on the dining room table and run trains. Based on my track record (pun not intended) I will probably never finish anything, but the key thing, and this is the most important part of the hobby, is I am enjoying myself. Fortunately it sounds as if you are too.

Archived