Japanese Prototype N Scale Desktop Layout

Sir Madog

I am right now working on a new project. I have a Kato C11 2-6-4T, which looks rather bland when compared to the nicely detailed D51 and C62 of recent releases. It is a smooth runner on my little layout, so I am planning to beef it up a little.

Turning her from this:

P1040274k.jpg

into this:

c11_207a-26.JPG

will be quite a challenge for my aging eyes and shaky hands. All it takes is a little brass wire, some plastic sheetstock, a drill and a lot (LOT!) of patience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey Ulrich ....... what a fantastic thread !! :)

I think your Kato modules are excellent mate !!

Your workmanship is very good, and you show the method of construction very well ....... plus the link to the Japanese site is very usefull for someone interested in this kind of model railway.

Your work inspired me to start building using this method too ....... I was building a layout in OO gauge,  but changing circumstances at home brought progress to a stop.

So, I was looking for something to do which wasn't too involved ...... i.e. something which I could build in small stages, and finding your thread was a godsend !!

I hope you don't mind but for my first module I copied your idea ....... just to get me started off.

Here it is ....... just needs a few minor finishing details, but I'm well chuffed with how it turned out !!

post-3897-0-91847100-1355084262.jpg

bilbo. :derisive:

bilbo,

you did an outstanding job on that fist module of yours! Eager to see more.

My little layout has been sold in the meantime. It´ll be followed by an O scale narrow gauge layout, which will be my last layout to build. I want it to be my masterpiece after nearly 50 years in the hobby, so I will take my time.

Bilbo - That is some superb work right there. Your ballasting is really well done.

Ulrich - I am sorry to hear that the modules have been sold. Those modules were very inspirational for my modular layout, although it is a slightly different set of sizes I used I liked what you did with yours and I am hoping to do some seasonal mini modules (snow, autumn and another one that I need to decide). I hope that your O Gauge Narrow Scale modelling goes well and I look forward to seeing how it develops (have you got a link to it?)

Archived