Woodhead Catenary

Trevor H

Thanks Alex,

I have seen that one and it does help, what I'm really looking for is the large portal ones with the A frame like uprights. Otherwise I should be able hopefully, to guesstimate dimensions from photos.

Some handy shots by Chris Higgs of the MSW overhead, if anyone hasn't seen them before.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrishiggs/sets/72157603339766313/

Trevor.

Thanks Alex,

I have seen that one and it does help, what I'm really looking for is the large portal ones with the A frame like uprights. Otherwise I should be able hopefully, to guesstimate dimensions from photos.

Some handy shots by Chris Higgs of the MSW overhead, if anyone hasn't seen them before.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrishiggs/sets/72157603339766313/

Trevor.

There seems to be 'Non Woodhead' catenery & masts in the shots, looks Great Eastern stuff. Charlie

The original GE OHLE up to Shenfield was built to the same 1500v LNER standard as Woodhead, later converted to 6.25/25kV

Yes there may be some local variations but much of it is the same.

There are some great photos kicking about of EM1's at Shenfield!

Mike

There seems to be 'Non Woodhead' catenery & masts in the shots, looks Great Eastern stuff. Charlie

I think my caption on the collection makes that clear:

"Photos of MSW overhead electriciation at Broadbottom, and the similar equipement on the GE section at Stratford"

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Waiting on the platform of Limehouse Station  today on the route out of Fenchurch Street,  was looking and measuring  the simple two uprights and a horizontal "Woodhead style" portals.

The  H sections of the portal are a nominal 6 inches by 6 inches,  in fact they were are slightly oversize, 6 by 6 inches,     6 and one quarter inches and  6 and 3 eighths of an inch.  I suppose this "extra" is 1950s steel rolling mill tolerances, "better  oversize than under" 

Edited by Pandora

• 2 years later...

Travelling between Shenfield and Gidea Park, observed a considerable number of new portals have been erected,  the new portals are extremely bulky and clumsy   and over-engineered in contrast to the 1950s minimalist "Woodhead" metalwork. It is not obvious why there is a need for replacement,  the old portals are still standing true and  seem to in good corrosion-free condition.  Sinking of the new piling foundations  for the new portals caused  track heave in at least one location.

How much longer before we will lose the last link to Woodhead in the form of the overhead?

• RMweb Gold

How much longer before we will lose the last link to Woodhead in the form of the overhead?

Woodhead 1500 DC insulators still in situ last time I travelled across this bit of track :) 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4718048,-2.1911834,3a,39.4y,158.26h,114.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sILWvX5ZjcUOHu8C7XmTkvg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

There's still quite a bit in the Ashburys and Ardwick area, granted with25kv insulators on. I presume the same stuff is in place right up to Hadfield, can't say for sure as I don't go that way, replacement only being done when needed? 

I often think some of the (slightly) newer stuff around Liverpool and Manchester looks in worse condition, then again it's much lighter section. One mast near Hunts Cross did move a few weeks back and caused chaos for several hours. 

• 2 years later...

Huge thread dredge.....

I'm intending doing a section of Woodhead 1500 overhead, the H section portals and the compound catenary wires don't phase me too much (he says!)

There seem to be a million and one different types of gantrys and portals to choose from on the Woodhead route, is there or more appropriately was there any commanality with the 25kv portals used later, I'm not saying they have to be 100% correct but if the N Brass portals could be modified to look something along the lines of this type here it might save me a bit of work?

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/sheffield_victoria/sheffield(c1970s)victoria25.jpg

Any help or info gratefully received! 

Huge thread dredge.....

I'm intending doing a section of Woodhead 1500 overhead, the H section portals and the compound catenary wires don't phase me too much (he says!)

There seem to be a million and one different types of gantrys and portals to choose from on the Woodhead route, is there or more appropriately was there any commanality with the 25kv portals used later,

I was talking to Alan Whitehouse, the guy who built the Mini MSW layout, at Railwells and he told me that the contractor for the electrification, Bruce Peebles Ltd of Edinburgh I believe, used the eastern side of the tunnel as a sort of showroom for what kinds of catenary they could provide. Totally logical given the enthusiasm for electrification and the line itself at the time.

This video on YouTube shows the run from Penistone heading west and illustrates the variety of mast designs quite well.

https://youtu.be/uHP6YDPTDuU

//Simon

There are in excess of 500 different portal styles on the MSW, there are plenty to go at if only we had ironwork dimensions and basic portal dimensions.

Mike.

Probably mentioned this before but when we were researching Deepcar I took a photo of each mast in the area we were modelling, with my then about 7 year old son standing underneath (one line had been lifted by then and it was a Sunday), problem was I forgot to measure how tall he was at the time!

The steelwork, if I recall correctly, was fairly uniform sizes depending on the size of the mast, a good idea could be gained by measuring the surviving ones on the Manchester-Hadfield section.

• RMweb Premium

There are in excess of 500 different portal styles on the MSW, there are plenty to go at if only we had ironwork dimensions and basic portal dimensions.

Mike.

Hi

There is a drawing of one of the portal masts in Woodhead Part 3 : The Electric Railway but I can't remember whether it gives any useful dimensions.

Cheers

Paul

• 7 months later...
On 03/05/2019 at 21:33, Graham1960 said:

Here it is:

overhead wire.jpg

I live not far from Newton for Hyde station. If you like, I'll attempt to get some photos of the portals through there. Bearing in mind that one of the feeder points was in the vicinity. I think the substation on Danby Road in Newton, and the 132kV supply to it, were installed specifically for the railway.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 62613 said:

I live not far from Newton for Hyde station. If you like, I'll attempt to get some photos of the portals through there. Bearing in mind that one of the feeder points was in the vicinity. I think the substation on Danby Road in Newton, and the 132kV supply to it, were installed specifically for the railway.

If you can include a tape measure in the photo's please that would be even gooderer!

Mike.

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

If you can include a tape measure in the photo's please that would be even gooderer!

Mike.

Surely you mean, more betterer.