Borders Railway progress

Chameleon

didnt know we had sunday services yet at Newcraighall/Brunstane! Thats a life changing bit of information.

I was kind of hoping they might squeeze in a couple of extra newcraighall/edinburgh shuttle runs in the peak times, but it seems not.  I suspect I shall have to be investing in a folding bicycle to allow me to get it on a peak train. Exciting times though - thanks for sharing

Donald

Edit: Duh! just noticed it is of course the new timetable from 17 May.  Not long now though until we have the joy of Sunday services!

• RMweb Gold

Wellies guys.

Didn't think of that!

That would of insulated us fae all those electrocutions I got for my troubles of recording it, although that did explain my hair in bladderspoons Chard!!!!!

Never known anyone saved from a shire horse by choice of footwear yet so would of still got that particular gubbing at Hassenden. .........

Mac.

Two of the new foot bridges in Gala are now open for business. We can see why the save Plumtree Brae campaign was such a non starter. Also shows how the station and interchange are developing.

Also the next section of the out of Hawick takes us as far as Hassendean. You will need wellies for this one. This was filmed in December 2014

Obstacles to the Push for Teri.  Part One: Tweedbank to Newtown St Boswells.

Extending south from Tweedbank there are - possibly counter-intuitively - few large scale breaches of the line's formation until you reach Hawick.  Certainly none that is individually greater in scale than Edinburgh Southern Bypass, Hardengreen roundabout, Shank bridge and Fala on the rebuilt northern section.

Here's my initial summary.

There are a couple of new roads associated with eighties and nineties land exploitation that bisect the formation in the Tweedbank area.  

First is the aptly named A6360 Waverley Road which is built across reclaimed woodland.  The line has been reabsorbed into the country parkland here, although what look like parapets of a buried bridge survive in Broomilees Road.  The line needs excavating along this length, in a similar way to the Winston Road stretch.

The A6091 Melrose bypass hugs the formation now as far as Ravenswood Junction.  However, those looking for proof that the line wasn't actually built over, but used as a haul road for construction of the A6091 adjacent, should check at Darnick.  

In Google Earth I looked at 55o35'54.86"N 2o44'41.88"W elevation 103m, eye altitude 106m, from the A6091 and from this point the abutments of an underbridge for a minor road now pedestrian subway (the access road to the Borders General Hospital has replaced the minor road on the southwest side of the A6091) can be clearly seen, indicating that the bypass was built for much of its length adjacent to rather than on top of the old railway.  

If you use Google Street view, you can pick up this pattern all the way along this stretch to Ravenswood. From my recollection, there are four such underbridges, including Chiefswood Road/ Huntly Burn, Quarrydene footpath, Melrose Station (and reinstatement of decks would be relatively straightforward using craneage from the A6091).  The only short stretch where the A6091 and new railway alignment are in conflict is where the B6374 leaves Melrose and the bypass is atop what was the line's retaining wall.

The junction of Dean Road and B6374 with the A6091 obliterate a short section of the solum.  A replacement bridge is required here, probably a concrete box as at Fala.  Look carefully at your Google Steetview and note the wooded course of the Waverley is actually safeguarded between Dean Road and the bypass for some distance.  The bypass adopts the trackbed at the point where it becomes Main Street, just east of Newstead, diverging ironically at what was precisely Ravenswood junction Map Ref 55o59'66.29"N, 2o67'48.82"W.  The road would require realignment north of its present course - but rail and road could share an optimised wider formation here without any great difficulty.  

The A68 bridge needs excavating and a new one creating where the A68 bypass around Newton St Boswells has severed the trackbed.  Neither is a showstopper compared to what the Phase 1 teams have just achieved.  In between these points the line has been absorbed into the golf course.  More of an acquisition question than one of civil engineering challenge.

At Newtown St Boswells the redevelopment of the station and yards is mainly light in nature - carparks and buildings of no inherent quality, easily replaceable.  A straightforward two platform station would be easily accommodated here. 

Part Two, and on to Hawick, coming soon....

• RMweb Premium

Drove up the A7 on Friday and it was great to see the railway there again.  Lots of orange clad workers doing various things all along but not a track borne vehicle in sight.  Can't wait to ride it later this year.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Signs of the times

Bridge No1

post-368-0-70876400-1431374327.jpg

The view north from No1. A plausible scenic break

post-368-0-69571100-1431374635.jpg

A must have accessory for every bridge this year

post-368-0-70283100-1431374373.jpg

Steeper and steeperer, no prizes for guessing where

post-368-0-50051800-1431374397.jpg

A short video of progress on the Borders railway between Newcraighall and the A720 Edinburgh City bypass. Features the works at the new Shawfair station. Filmed on 11th of May 2015

https://youtu.be/0rLD06QNp0A

The next one follows on  at Newtongrange and Gorebridge stations, plus a look at how the sites at Tyne head and Falahill have developed over the last year. Also shot on the 11th May 2015.

https://youtu.be/CBkaZT06JgA

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think I could hop on for the ride? I dont mind paying for the leg from Brunstane to Newcraighall.  In fact that leg is one of the worlds great railway journeys to me as it is a rare and wonderous thing that is easily within my reach and yet strangely never experienced...

I suspect I should be working next Monday, but I think I could probably wangle out of it!

Thanks for reminding me of that link, too.  Might come in handy over the long hot summer of too few and overcrowded trains on my usual trips to Bellshill, while they sort out that Winchburgh tunnel thing to allow the wires through...

Donald

I am not sure what your plans are after "The" Common Riding.  You may be tempted by the sight of the first 158's on the Borders Railway next Monday. 

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/TWB/2015/06/08/0000-2359?stp=WVSC&show=all&order=wtt

How great does the line look on RTT, hey!

I had wondered what the intermediate timing points would be - now all is revealed.  Fantastic!

• RMweb Premium

How great does the line look on RTT, hey!

I had wondered what the intermediate timing points would be - now all is revealed.  Fantastic!

Thanks for that Chard, any idea what the freight is that runs a return trip first thing.

Jamie

Thanks for that Chard, any idea what the freight is that runs a return trip first thing.

Jamie

Closer examination reveals that this runs on 8th June 2015 only, it is roughly the same path that previous test trains followed so probably one last test run over the line before training runs start.

Jim

Archived