Borders Railway progress

Chameleon

I'm starting resurrecting this thread to keep the very different subject of the new Borders Railway separate from the historic research and anecdote of the other Group threads.

Remembering why we are here for a moment, it's with a modelling end-point in mind, and no matter how I try I can't reconcile a Bachmann Turbostar at a single platform Galashiels in OO - excellent as that will be in community/ rail terms - with the network that was squandered during the sixties. The two are different beasts. And the new railway when opened will have missed a couple of generations of 'progress' (imagine rationalisation, sprinterisation, emasculation, recurring threats of closure), so our collective memory of the Old Waverley line will not be joined to the 2016 reality other than by a hypothesis of applied transport geography.

So, here for the WR Phoenix, its progress and all its other facets. Kicking off, a Railbrit photo taken and uploaded today, so it doesn't come much more up-to-date :)

Realigned Millerhill turnback siding, start point for the new Borders Railway:

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=34343

We like this:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=34402

A nice sweeping curve to start us off. I need to relate this to aerial photos next, to get a realistic handle on the intersect with the Southern By-pass. As has been said, that location is anything but straightforward.

Now, I wonder what traction will be used on the first works trains.

Maybe JBs like we hired from GBRf on East London line :laugh:

Guest Max Stafford

(Like). Interesting to see the juxtaposition of the new and old alignments. I suppose the line will curve round to the left after Shawfair to rejoin the old alignment.

Shame the contractors couldn't use one of the old German V100s from the CTRL! Although there are obvious gauging issues they at least resemble the last small main line diesels to use the route before its long snooze!

Dave.

The day in 2008 when the first locos arrived at Silwood I got a text message which simply said 'Claytons are here, we're painting their tyres white.'

Clayton Equipment Co they may have been, but of the 4 wheel, battery flavour :rolleyes:

73206 was far nicer - and she went everywhere under diesel power! Imagine that peering out of Bowshank: I'm getting another modelling cameo coming on strong.

(Like). Interesting to see the juxtaposition of the new and old alignments. I suppose the line will curve round to the left after Shawfair to rejoin the old alignment.

Shame the contractors couldn't use one of the old German V100s from the CTRL! Although there are obvious gauging issues they at least resemble the last small main line diesels to use the route before its long snooze!

Dave.

It looks to me like the the new line will rejoin the original trackbed adjacent to the east of the A7/A720 roundabout on the curve. This would mean the new alignment crossing the A720 bypass at more of a square angle than the original line south of Millerhill which is at a very narrow angle in relation to the road.

A few weeks ago they were test drilling in the field behing the farm house at Sheriffhall, I think they were pretty much on the line shown on this midlothian travel map for the new route.

I had post a link to a map before but can't find it now. This map shows all the bus routes etc.

I can't find the large scale detailed maps showing the precise line of route either. I'll give the Project a shout and see if they've been taken down for some reason.

Sheriffhall as a Waverley Route location never really struck a chord (groan - P'way Ed) until recently, and now seemingly every time I hear the traffic news there's some problem on the Southern By-Pass involving the place :rolleyes:

Doing some test bores in the field sounds reasonable considering the Shawfair deviation. As Andy said, it appears that the new line will intersect with the A720 nearly square-on, and rejoin the old alignment before burrowing under Old Dalkeith Road bridge, another structure on 'Waverley's Most Wanted,' but that's for another thread!

Guest Max Stafford

You only have to read the comments to realise that this country has the infrastructure it deserves...

Dave.

You only have to read the comments to realise that this country has the infrastructure it deserves...

Dave.

Talk about depressing, eh. By which I mean the fact that such a large percentage of the herd are practically uneducated beyond the 'apply fake tan - put on sports casual - visit Greggs carbohydrate factory - spawn - wonder why nothing ever changes' level. On the other hand, we can draw some comfort from this, as we remember the www is oft the domain of the sub-chatterati.

Good to see the Bridges Line to Perth getting an honourable mention (my No.2 route as if you didn't all know by now, ad nauseam), and intriguing to read that coverage of the Waverley's closure dragged on for weeks in the papers. Hmmm, rich seam of largely unseen resource awaits me there....

Re the Scotsman comments. Had we listened to sic folk in the past we would still be loupin the puddles in rutted cart tracks. The history of the railways in the borders is littered with doom sayers and political interference.

It was ever thus. The world is full of short sighted loud mouthed people concerned only about their own immediate self interest and politicians only interested in making quick political capital. Such is the nature of democracy.

Christine Graham MSP is telling us not to panic. Keep calm and carry on. Oh dear, this may mean get ready to start panic. Where is my tin helmet?

Guest Max Stafford

You'd have thought those writing in would have be delighted to have a few less working class people taking up space on 'their' road and getting in the way of their Mercs and Land Cruisers.

But aye, it's "the cost of everything and the value of nothing" for their sort...!

Dave.

Part of the problem, as I see it, is that it has become a political issue. It has to be built, at any cost. If the nationalists can't complete this project then they will be perceived to have lost all credibility and can't be trusted to manage any large scale undertaking. There are plenty of people, on either side of the border, who would like them to fail.

Bernard

Guest Max Stafford

Seen in that context it would seem that there is an enormous amount of political kudos at stake in this project now. Rebuilding is even more politically charged than the closure. I think I'll be resuming my subscription to the CBR with immediate effect.

Dave.

• 3 months later...

This has become one of the emblematic images of the rebirth for me; the silly new-build on the solum of the line adjacent to Station Brae. Well, it's now reached the boarded-up stage, so one assumes it's ready for soft-strip and ultimately demolition. Hurrah!

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=35875

And a few chains nearer Stow, the bridge over the Gala in its present use as a bit of the Black Path, complete with dog and walker: this public right-of-way soon to be replaced by the permanent way?

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=35869

Aye oor Jock disnae look his age.

He's 35 I saw him few weeks ago he bought a raffle ticket at our coffee moring for Hawick In Bloom. if he'd won the Bottle O' Whiskey I would have give it to his mummy.

Borders Railway Progress....

What progress? :stinker:

Take it all in context ... put yourself back in 1999 as the Feasibility Study was being undertaken, 30 years after closure, and imagine that an Act of Parliament could be passed, Royal Assent could be granted, the first sod could be cut and primary works would be underway just 12 years later.

On top of that you could also look at the actual building of the line, that following a non-starter during the contract process has now been passed to Britains railway infrastructure owner & operator, which is bit of a no-brainer anyway.

How many years do you want to put on the word "progress"?

Archived