steve fay

This is my new thread since ditching Dock Street

It might be a bit slow going as I need to get a few more pieces together before the real work can start.

So Why the change ? http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/unsure.png Well Ranelagh bridge was the original plan when I moved up to O gauge, The layout was to be built in my Dads museum but it will now be stored at home and built in a modular fashion as the last one.

When I modelled in OO I always got more enjoyment out of modelling real places. I built a model of Dawlish which got into our local paper once Praise indeed http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/dirol_mini.gif

A lot of people are faced with the same problems of space and the Depot is a popular choice of layout and I'm not knocking that.

Ranelagh bridge gives me a prototypical place to have big engines in a relatively small area. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/yahoo_mini.gif

I did a lot of research and have been gathering as many photos as I can so if any one has any please share.

post-5983-0-15622100-1307119375_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-27958000-1307119447_thumb.jpg

This might look like a jumble of track but its highly scientific. The layout of the track taken from a signalling diagram. I have used a bit of modellers licence and have omited a track. the running lines are up empty stock and down main. The Track will be C & L flexi again with a mixture of peco points and C & L and peco double slips. As I've set it out here there will be no point work on the board joints and So I know where all the track is going before I build the boards.

Well that's it for now best start saving. There's also rumours that a County is on the way just don't tell the misses http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/secret.gif

This is it now no going back. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/rolleyes.gif

If any one has any info on Ranelagh bridge then please share. I have been on the old RMweb and seen the OO gauge version that a chap from the Cardiff club had built and I've seen it at a show. So it will be good to see a 7mm version

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good luck with this Steve

I was a "regular" at your Dad's shop (nice break from work and much missed) and I've now moved up to 7mm too with the intention of building something small and shuntable based around Gloucester - possibly dock-related.

Chris

If any one has any info on Ranelagh bridge then please share. I have been on the old RMweb and seen the OO gauge version that a chap from the Cardiff club had built and I've seen it at a show. So it will be good to see a 7mm version

That's my brother, Paul's layout (aka 'naturol').

Brian R

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to get hold of a copy of current Model Rail - 4mm layout plan and article on RB

The current "Great Western Journal" continues it's multi-part feature of Paddington, and contains R.A.F. aerial views from 1948/49 of (i) Paddington (ii) Paddington Goods, and (iii) Royal Oak / Ranelagh Bridge Yard. All three photo captions contain the negative references should you wish to obtain copies.

Although of the 'diesel era' there are two decent prints available at:-

http://www.railphotoprints.co.uk/index/detail/9948/1034-Y-RanelaghBridge-1974-RPC688.jpg.html

http://www.railphotoprints.co.uk/index/detail/549/D7033-D860-RanelaghBridgeSP-130763-RP068.jpg.html

And a 'rough sketch plan'modified for modelling purposes ? at:-

http://stephenfay.railnuts.com/files/2009/08/ranleagh-bridge.jpgHTH

Brian R

Thanks for the replys

I will get a copy of those mags this afternoon.

The pictures are a great help. You can just make out the signal box in the side shot of the hymek.

The railnuts link is me,

That's when I initially started the project.

On to shrub removal now to make way for the railway room.

Brian

I seen it at the Cardiff show last year he's done a great job, the scaffolding looks the biz.

Is he still exhibiting it?

In fact Steve, it was at the previous year's Cardiff Show, 2009 IIRC.

Paul has tarted it up a bit since that show, and if there's a chance would show it again - he had a few offers/enquiries, but nothing really concrete.

Perhaps it could make a return at this years show, his current layout Waungron Park is not quite finished, and his circular steelworks was shown at the last cardiff Show.

The houses/flats were drawn up using his CAD system, he does building drawings, extensions, planning applications as part of his day job, and then printed them out using a large printer. That worked fine as any deficiencies were hidden by the scaffolding.

Decent photos of the signal box have always proved elusive, unless someone can point us in the right direction ?.

Brian R

• Like 1

2009 yes your right, where does the time go.

I'm probably going to try and get some sort of digital photo backscene. I'm trying to put together as many colour pictures as I can so they can be manipulated and printed off. The sheer size of the buildings and the space they would take up precludes doing them as modeled buildings.

The retaining wall will go in then a small gap for bushes and trees to overhang then the backscene. The back scene imeadietly confirms the location so must look right.

In O the layout will be 16 foot long ranging from 20" to 5 foot. With extensions for exhibition purposes, although that's a long way off. Not enough locos for shows :angry:

Slightly off topic but these are surplus to requirements

C & L GWR timber tracks coaling stage 90 % complete with everything needed to finish

post-5983-0-78417800-1308559998_thumb.jpg

Bachmann brassworks Ivatt 2MT lined green late crest 46521 factory green hand lined by conrad cooper transfers by fox etched plates by Severn mill <theres about 12 individual plates> and lastly it has been weathered by Fred Lewis.

I have weighted this loco and it has been tested. It could take as train of 40 mineral wagons with ease.

The lamp brackets have been changed to WR pattern ones from martin Finney.

post-5983-0-55372600-1308560236_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-29680700-1308560262_thumb.jpg

PM me for details plus any additional info or pictures

Cheers

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

post-5983-0-76636200-1310125586_thumb.jpg

Work continues on the Railway room. So I thought I would share a picture of my latest loco for Ranelagh bridge.

6023 Very much in green. built by Ozzy O painted by Conrad Cooper and weathered by fred Lewis (welsh wizard)

Pictured here on Pete Watermans fantastic Leamington Spa layout in the station. This loco has a Howes sound chip fitted.

The Ivatt has now sold but I still have the Coaling stage if any one is interested.

All the Best.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...

Only a slight update, The roof is now on my railway room and watertight. Hopefully a month today will see the completion of 5099 Compton castle all be it in undercoat. It will be off to north Wales for painting. But I should get some pictures of it first. ( see Ozzyos thread for the build )

I've managed to get a look at westbourne bridge signal box which had been very elusive. On YouTube there's a high speed video of a Blue Pullman run from Paddington to Snow hill and at 58 secs there's the signal box. It has taken years trying to find a picture of it.

I've also found out that Lord Nelson was turned on ranelaghs turn table when she arrived to haul a railtour facing the wrong way, now there's an idea !!

• 2 months later...

Well it's been a while, 5099 is spending Christmas in bueatiful north Wales and will emerge resplendent in BR green early in the new year.

The next loco will be 5904 Kelham hall coupled to the unique Collett 8 wheel tender.

This will be a Martin Finney hall JLTRT resin boiler and Scorpio tender which will probably require some nice new castings to spruce it up.

Ranelagh bridge will be 15 foot Long and the building is 10 foot wide so on the other side I will have a nice empty space so to fill this side which is 13 foot long I intend to model a very small section of Cardiff Canton 86C

A very low releif six road engine shed the approach roads and the old coaling stage.

A nice staging point for my canton collection of locos before making there way to London and Ranelagh bridge.

I will post some pics up of 5099 in the new year.

You will see the hall build on Ozzys thread in the new year.

2012 will see the building completed and on with the layouts FINALLY

• 2 weeks later...

I've just sorted myself out with an RMweb account & I've been following the thread on Ranelagh Bridge with some interest. It's a location that has long fascinated me from the time of my first visit to the area in the Spring of '73 to view Westerns and Hymeks. The Sept 82 edition of RM contained an article about a layout based on RB which initially stimulated my interest in building something similar. This was rekindled by a feature in the Oct 99 edition of Rail Express. I eventually got started in the Spring of 2000....!I've based it on the post turntable era. The depot was, even for a stabling point, fairly primitive. There never seems to have been any form of shelters over the pumps and very little in the way of admin./facilities. I was fortunate enough to be able to view the location quite frequently between Spring 73 & early 77 by which time loco visits were declining owing to the introduction of HSTs in Oct 76. I paid an 'unofficial' visit to the site in Feb. 77. There was access alleyway round the back of RB which served the flats behind and there were stone bollards up against the brick wall at the back. I was a bit more athletic in those days and you could balance on these bollards & obtain a good view over the depot. On this particular occasion , the Sat. when D1023 worked the Capitals Utd. railtour, myself and a friend were beckoned over the wall by depot staff. We didn't need telling twice...we were over the wall! D1023 came on the depot for servicing & it was the only loco there. I think

the depot lingered on into the mid-80s before becoming a car park.

Despite being a simple location it does make for quite a satisfying layout. It seems to work best with about 11 locos. I've used cork for the raised paved area between the tracks and Metcalfe adhesive paving slabs on top of this. The rear walling is Hornby straight walling and the water tower is Hornby too.There was a small shunters' office( officially daubed Uncle Toms Cabin} at the east end of the depot beyond the road overbridge which was sited at the end of the pilot road. This I've modelled this using the Prototype Models GWR Goods Office. The road overbridge is a final requirement & I;ve yet to source anything suitable in 4mm. Point operation on the depot sems to have been entirely manual with shunting signals. I'd be interested to know if anybody has managed to find a suitable, easy to assemble backdrop for the flats behind.

• Like 1

Hi jack

Feel free to post some pictures up on here mate.

As you've probably read another rmweber built one in OO and scratch built the tenements and covered them in scaffolding, I think his thread is on the old RMweb.

I was only discussing the back scene with my loco builder OzzyO this week, because I'm modelling in O a phisical busing would take up to much room so I'm hoping a friend of mine who is a whizz with computers and who has access to large industrial printers could manipulate the colour pictures I have of the tenements into one long digital photo back scene.

After all the back scene immediately confirms where the layout is.