steve fay

post-5983-0-69611600-1340706995.jpg

This is my Metal Smith turntable in its current form. I have decided remove the hand rails and steps and it is going up North to Ozzy next month for a few tweeks, firstly we are going to remove the laminated plates off the top and try to flatten the top a bit and have a straight taper on the slopes, Then there is the braking gear on the one side.

The turn table at Ranelagh was the flat top type but a kit of this type is not available so we will make the best we can with what we have.

The water tower at Ranelagh was treated to a coat of cream so I am going to presume :O that the turn table was treated as well and have a chocy & cream turntable.

All the plates have been ordered from guilplates ( 4 to 5 weeks estimated time for completion ) so I will post some pics of them once they have arrived.

My dad is back off holiday monday so it will be back to work on 86F to get it ready for the autumn gala at the severn valley.

post-5983-0-19617400-1340707061_thumb.jpg

The turn table at Ranelagh complete with makers plate.

When I had the museum I had a vast collection of pictures so I will scan a few of Ranelagh and post them up.

• Like 5

Hello all,

as Steve has said we are looking to modify the curved outside frames of the Metal Smiths TT. to the flat type, I have a drawing for the curved type with dimensions but not the flat type, can anyone help us with a scan of one or where a drawing of one is.

I have the G.W.R.J. (No.40?) with the locking details for the Ranelagh Bridge TT. but the sketch drawing only has limited dimensions on it . The main one that I'm after is the hight of the flat top of the side girder above the rail heads. On the curved girders this is 4'1".

If anyone can help us we would be most grateful,

OzzyO and Steve.

PS. when I start on it I'll post it up in my thread.

• Like 1

Ive gone through some of my pictures and scanned a few to share with you.

post-5983-0-12670800-1340886675_thumb.jpg

Kev this would be the one for me, Im sure my mate Fred would enjoy doing the weathering.

post-5983-0-83465500-1340886778_thumb.jpg

6023 On Ranelagh with the headboard on the centre lamp bracket. This was quite common at this time and its no suprise really. My dads got a replica one cast in steel and its a fair weight, I wouldnt fancy lifting this up on the top lamp bracket.

post-5983-0-60067900-1340887008_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-13788400-1340887076_thumb.jpg

The picture that started it all.

post-5983-0-26872700-1340887142_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hello all,

having looked at a number of photos of the flat topped turntable. It looks like there wont be that much that will have to be removed from the top and sides. The top will run across the four supports in the middle and the slopes on the sides from the end to the third side support.

post-8920-0-92795900-1340887714_thumb.jpg

This is the only drawing that I have of one of the flat topped turntables, so it looks like I'm going to have to work out some sizes for the side girders. I'm hoping that I'll be able to use some of the top plates from the curved top of the Metal Smith turntable, if I can't it's going to be a lot of riveting to do.

OzzyO.

• Like 2

post-5983-0-08627600-1340916379_thumb.jpg

A bit late for me but a great picture. Ranelagh Bridge after removal of the turn table and the referbishment of gloucester terrace. This would make a very interesting layout 50s Wezzies & 47s.

post-5983-0-51157100-1340916574_thumb.jpg

Back to a more familiar time, Title train headboards resting against a ballast bin. The trains shown here give an impression of the locos that used Ranelagh Bridge

Worcester, Cardiff, Bristol, Wolverhampton, Gloucester, Taunton & Oxford along with a few others.

• Like 4

I am going to ask the mods to move this topic over to the modelling real locations thread under Special interests as it might be a while until any thing new is posted and as this is a real location this is the best place for it.

There are not as many on going threads over there so this one should stay on the first page and that's better for people who might have information that's relevant to the thread.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Well the news from Dapol is out no Pannier just yet but I think it is only a matter of time. As for the 08 Im glad Dapol have added a green with Wasp stripes loco to the list, This is the one I will go for and renumber as one of the 4 allocated to 81A in 1958 D3030 to D3033. I have recently found a picture of D3032 in all over green with the right hand facing lion on the late crest at Royal Oak which could be an interesting on as well. We will have to wait and see.

Its kind of good a pannier is not on the way as I still have a Castle to pay for.

When it does come to Panniers for Ranelagh it will have to be;

8763 in BR lined Black. If Dapol dont do this one I will send one to Conrad Cooper for lining.

3711 black late crest, This was the one converted to burn fuel oil by Robert stephensons and was trialed on Old Oak empty coaching stock trains. A nice little conversion for OzzyO.

8743 The final flat cab pannier in the London area.

Add to this 9710, 1504 and a 94xx pannier.

CRASH that was my wallet throwing its self out of the window :O

Plates from Guilplates are due any time now.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 1

A delivery from Guilplates yesterday;

post-5983-0-13762100-1342950055_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-82681800-1342950122_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-82384800-1342950218_thumb.jpg

Guilplates have done a superb job on these plates, The Prevention of noise and Smoke plate is sublime.

The Turn table is now with OzzyO and any updates will be posted up on this thread along with his on kit building and scratch building.

• Like 4

Typical that the plates turn up when you were delivering the turn table to me yesterday. Are the makers plates cut out, as it's hard to tell on the white background. All of the plates look very nice.

Good to see you and your old man yesterday, looks like we've got another one for Telford as well.

OzzyO.

Typical that the plates turn up when you were delivering the turn table to me yesterday. Are the makers plates cut out, as it's hard to tell on the white background. All of the plates look very nice.

Good to see you and your old man yesterday, looks like we've got another one for Telford as well.

OzzyO.

Yes they are cut out. I didnt expect them to be painted, Really top job by Guilplates there. I think we will use the small caution red plate on the turntable mate as I cant make out the original it definetly wont go below the other as stated by guilplates as i have the picture of the prototype to show it wasnt there. Pity they didnt get there the day before.

Hello all,

as you can see Steve has now got the plates for Ranleagh Bridge and the turntable. One plate that both Steve and myself have not been able to find out what it says is this one.

post-8920-0-87925300-1342984748_thumb.jpg

Rear view.

post-8920-0-31183000-1342984777_thumb.jpg

Can any one help us with the wording on this one.

Any help would be much appreciated.

OzzyO.

• Like 1

im wondering if its a shorter version of the smaller Caution Plate

post-5983-0-83852500-1342990822_thumb.jpg

Caution

The stops must not be used as a brake or inserted until table is stationary

cut out the All engines must stop before going on table. As the plate is mounted where it is it seems pointless to have the Engines must stop part.

I think we will use this plate (or possibly cut a small section out) on that bracket unless we can get some concrete information as to what it says.

Once the base boards are constructed this plate will be some 3 foot back from the edge so you will need a telescope to read it!

• Like 1

Looking at a picture of Ranelagh Bridge this evening Ive just realised I need two of the prevention of noise and smoke plates.

Ive looked at this picture a thousand times and it just goes to show you can miss things until your actually look for something or in this case it jumps out at you

so I shall drop Guilplates an email and order another 1.

Hello Steve,

now that you've mentioned it. I can now see it, it's the red backed plate in the colour photo with the following train reporting number in it J39, F46 & A16. It's close to the water crane, so I'm wondering if there was one near all the water cranes?

OzzyO.

• Like 1

Hello Steve,

now that you've mentioned it. I can now see it, it's the red backed plate in the colour photo with the following train reporting number in it J39, F46 & A16. It's close to the water crane, so I'm wondering if there was one near all the water cranes?

OzzyO.

Spot on mate!!! Luckily there's only two water cranes

Hello all,

as yous know Steve is doing Ranelagh Bridge stabling point in O gauge. Now I've had a look at the Metalsmith's T.T. I think that we (I) can do it, some compromise will be needed on it but I hope not too many! About the biggest one that I'm not sure about that I will be able to correct is the width of the deck (but who knows?). The hight of the sides are a bit low (I think I should be able to sort that out). The carrying wheels are in the wrong place. Then the rest of it is "just" a bit of scratch building.

The starting point, some bu99er hit it with a case when I was bringing it home, but the parts that got bent are coming off so that's not to bad.

post-8920-0-12266300-1343126812_thumb.jpg

The side supports on the M.S. T.T. as they are now.

post-8920-0-93955800-1343126718_thumb.jpg

This is how I would like them to look when the jobs finished.

post-8920-0-42771100-1343126916_thumb.jpg

This is going to be the biggest job to get to look right, the locking gear on one side of the table. As it's all going to have to be scratch built.

post-8920-0-98571500-1343126994_thumb.jpg

But I do have the drawings for most of the parts, so that is a big help.

post-8920-0-01785400-1343127007_thumb.jpg

When I get going on the T.T. it will be in my build thread, I'm not to sure when I'll get to start on it. But it should be fun!!!!!!!?

OzzyO.

Edited by ozzyo
  • Like 2

During a conversation with Oz this morning he also noticed that on the opposite side of the turn table there is an additional plate mounted on a bracket like the one we have been enquiring about. Its the Caution plate a discussed above, The one we intend to doctor to cut out the All engines part, So its another order for Guilplates, At least these ones will be cheaper as Ive already paid for the art work. I think I should stop looking at my pictures with a magnifying glass :O Still it will look nice with all these plates.

Well surfing the net this Evening for any info on Ranelagh Bridge I came across a thread and it seems some people have the opinion that Ranelagh Bridge as a modelling subject is a cliche! :scratchhead: Yes I suppose its a popular choice as a model but Ive only ever seen one other model of it. I really cant see how trying to do a scale model of a REAL prototype location can be a cliche. this is not a GWR BLT some where in the country side or a diesel depot both of which are great prototypes when done well, some of my favorite layouts on Rmweb fall into these categories and some also regard these as cliche's. It could be a Ranelagh style layout that might have been done to death ( although I cant say ive seen any)

I suppose once the layout is built I will put a red London bus on the bridge just to make sure it is really Cliche.

Edited by steve fay

Hello all,

a small start has been made on the turntable with gritblasting the paint off, the sides look to be made of double sided copper clad for strength. The next lot of posting on the turntable will be in my build thread.

post-8920-0-49682700-1343199974_thumb.jpg

post-8920-0-99471200-1343199881_thumb.jpg

post-8920-0-06283900-1343200360_thumb.jpg

OzzyO.

• Like 1