steve fay

After, you do loose some of the colour when you do so you have to build up layers,

Hi Steve, thanks, sometimes one has to get a good matt finish on the model to get the powders to stick. White spirit airbrushed (or dabbed) on can help fix the pigments/powders lacquers can alter or move the powders though..... Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Steve,

you must stop putting all these photos up, you know I'm holding out for the Finney7 version. I must resist.......

Martyn.

I’m positive the Finney 7 will be worth waiting for, as for instant gratification well sometimes it’s just to nice not too Edited by steve fay

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve come to the hard decision to halt all work on this project, Ive been thinking it over for a few months now, trying to think of ways to keep going but unfortunately I can’t.

Some of you will know about my back issues and unfortunately things are not getting any better if anything they’ve taken a turn for the worse with not a lot of chance of them improving.

My comfortable working area is 2’ deep any more and it’s putting to much strain on me and the prospect of working under the layout for wiring adding point motors Etc is not one I relish.

I’m unhappy with my base boards, it seems the very top layer of the ply is delaminating in places and the track looks a bit rough in places yet on the under side it’s dead level, I had to screw some additional braces in recently to stop locos from derailing at two points. I don’t want to continue ( if I could ) and it doesn’t run properly,

My Wife’s job is looking increasingly like she’s going to be transferred to the other side of Cardiff so a possible house move is on the card and there no way the layout could be moved with out wrecking it.

I will continue modelling but it has to be in a more manageable size & portable, I hope to utilise some of the signalling and buildings in a new engine shed project but I will put the turn table up for sale. The point work Martyn ( 3 link ) made can also be reused.

I’d like to say a big thanks to Rob Haskins as without his input this project would never have gotten this far, it is very disappointing and I’ve tried to think of any and all ways to continue but I’m afraid physically I’m just not able to.

Very sad news Steve. You've put a lot of work into it and it was coming along nicely but your health must come first. Is it possible to retain everything and maybe start again with it in a lighter and more manageable form one day? All the best to you and I hope medical science will one day help your back mate.

JF

The size of the layout is the limiting factor, I hope to utilise the buildings and some of the signalling in a new layout but it can’t be any wider than 2’ and most importantly transportable.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a mediacal break through as well!

Sorry to hear this Steve, but perfectly understandable.

As mentioned above, hope you can get something more manageable underway soon.

Jinty ;)

Thanks David I appreciate it,

Yes I will get something started and I’ve got a rough idea of what it will be, I will start to recover all the reusable parts over the next few weeks and take the boards apart after that.

I will keep you all updated when I get started on a new project but I will start a new thread for that.

• Like 1

Just like everyone that has posted Steve, I hope you can get some relief with your back, I understand only too well myself.

Erm....when you decide to start posting again can you warn me so I can get ready for the photographs !  :jester:

All the best and happy modelling in the future.

Grahame

• Like 2

Very sad to hear of your life challenges, will also be sad to see this model go, it evoked so many memories of my youth (apprentice electrician based at OOC), although I missed steam by a few years the location hadn't change a great deal.

Good luck with the new project and I hope the back problems ease.

• 6 months later...
On 07/02/2018 at 20:37, steve fay said:

As British Rail once said we are getting there !! post-5983-0-60560200-1518032243_thumb.jpeg

If anyone knows... the brickwork for the water tower building - would I be safe with English bond?

Also, I noted that the lower floor of this building was designated as the "Repairing Shop"  - but to repair what?

Many thanks