Foxcote New Pit - formerly Highbury Colliery

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

I never had any problems with the tortoise contacts on the 0 gauge exhibiton layout I had with only 5 turnouts ( two crossovers and a single turnout)  on a layout were it was all shunting they were used quite intensively. One thing to watch is to set the mid point of the throw to the middle of the blade throw and adjust the fulcrum to give sufficient movement. If the movement is too much to one side or insufficient the contacts may not be operated properly.  The great advantage of the tortoise stall type is they are self adjusting in that the motor will just stall when the blades meet the rail. So if things expand it will just stall at a different point in the throw hence the need to make sure there is sufficient movement. A bit of flexibility in the operating wire helps. 

Don 

I'm pondering (not very urgently) the question of point motors myself. Trouble is I'm not convinced that any of them are reliable. The thing that put me off Tortoises was the article (in MRJ?) a while back on how to make them reliable... basically by replacing a whole bunch of their innards.

I have a minor involvement with the Burntisland P4 layout (it has a lot of turnouts).   Over the summer, we've had a "Tortoise refurbishment programme".  The motors themselves have been totally reliable, the issue is the sliding contacts for switching frogs (etc), those can, over many years, become unreliable, so we've ended up adding external microswitches in a similar way to the MRJ article.  

Apart from mechanical push-rods, I've still not yet seen an ideal turnout motor.  Different models suffer from noise, reliability, bulk, and so on.   The most recent layout I've been working on uses servos for the movement, and relays (connected via same switch gear)  for power switching.  It works, but there is the buzz from a servo as it moves. 

• RMweb Gold

Any S&D layout set from the 1890s to the 1950s will require at least one of these distinctive 20T brake vans - I want several!

Following several failed attempts to reliably cut and shut a six wheel brake van chassis I finally asked Bob Jones to etch the chassis for me which he has now done. I have had a sheet of them done which will leave a dozen or so spare. I will be selling them, not sure of price yet as I haven't had an invoice from Bob but will be around  £7-£8 each plus p&p - the aim is just to spread some of the cost of the photo tool.

It will be a first come, first serve basis and, unless I get inundated with requests which is unlikely, I probably wont do another run. PM me if interested.

Jerry

post-1074-0-33876400-1536842648_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just to clarify as I've had several questions regarding the underframe etches over on the 2mm VAG I've attached a scan of the two 6 wheel underframes I have available. This isn't a commercial venture, I had them produced for my own needs and the most convenient way was to get a couple of sheets done which has left me with a few of each spare.

The 6 wheel coach underframes are £11 each and the brake vans £6 plus p&p.

post-1074-0-76404700-1538129652_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Firstly, apologise for taking so long to get any pictures up but Kim and I stayed on in York for a couple of days after the show and then had Trainwest in Melksham the following weekend with my good friends John Greenwood and Phil Coppleston staying for a weekend of playing trains with Wenfordbridge.

Anyway York was a superb show with ourselves and Copenhagen Fields flying the 2FS flag. The habit of having guest locos on Highbury which can come out and do a turn if I think there is somebody out front who would appreciate the chance to see something different and not moan about its ' inapropriteness' is, I'm glad to say, gaining momentum and York turned up some real gems.

On saturday we had Tim's MR Well tank which made a fine sight heading the Frome market cattle train. After lunch, Richard Wilson arrived with a couple of beautifuly finished MR coaches.

attachicon.gifIMG_0174.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0177.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0185.JPG

to be continued........

Hi Jerry is there any way of finding out who does the kits for these coaches

John

Jerry

Firstly, apologise for taking so long to get any pictures up but Kim and I stayed on in York for a couple of days after the show and then had Trainwest in Melksham the following weekend with my good friends John Greenwood and Phil Coppleston staying for a weekend of playing trains with Wenfordbridge.

Anyway York was a superb show with ourselves and Copenhagen Fields flying the 2FS flag. The habit of having guest locos on Highbury which can come out and do a turn if I think there is somebody out front who would appreciate the chance to see something different and not moan about its ' inapropriteness' is, I'm glad to say, gaining momentum and York turned up some real gems.

On saturday we had Tim's MR Well tank which made a fine sight heading the Frome market cattle train. After lunch, Richard Wilson arrived with a couple of beautifuly finished MR coaches.

attachicon.gifIMG_0174.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0177.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0185.JPG

to be continued........

Jerry

Edited by Coal Tank

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Thought I recognised the Spit!

Tim

Thanks Tim, was it yours?

On a related issue, does anyone know of a source of model aircraft of around 2mm scale, 1:150 ish. I rather fancy something more appropriate to my main modelling period which is the decade or so after the first war.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

It was: I think it was Alex’s originally. There are dozens of metal collectables out there, but probably too modern. 
How about this:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/K2WJSLKAC/1-144-de-havilland-dh82-tiger-moth

Alternatively, you could borrow a 48” Zeppelin I have...  it’s on the to-do list to finish it if we ever exhibit CF in Germany again. 

Tim

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

There's a lot out there in 1/144 scale Jerry; they're close enough for me.

The F-Toys range is very good - I'm not sure what you're looking for but they've certainly done a Spitfire and a Swordfish. They come pre-painted and nicely assembled; I've got a bunch of English Electric Lightnings for formation flying over Parkend.

There's some interesting stuff out there in 1/144. Airfix do a SRN4 hovercraft in the scale, that I've quite works out how to include into a layout yet.

Cheers,

Steve

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pixie said:

There's a lot out there in 1/144 scale Jerry; they're close enough for me.

The F-Toys range is very good - I'm not sure what you're looking for but they've certainly done a Spitfire and a Swordfish. They come pre-painted and nicely assembled; I've got a bunch of English Electric Lightnings for formation flying over Parkend.

There's some interesting stuff out there in 1/144. Airfix do a SRN4 hovercraft in the scale, that I've quite works out how to include into a layout yet.

Cheers,

Steve

https://www.tigerhobbies.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=161&page=4   may fit the  bill

Nick B

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for all the useful links, Ive ordered a couple of WW1 biplanes to see what can be done with them.

Ive moved the discussion over to the Bath thread, mainly due to an inter-war picture of the gasworks Ive had for ages - it will all make sense - honest!

Jerry

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Quick phone snap to show the latest arrival. Bit modern for me really but I'm a sucker for anything eight coupled and the 8Fs are one of my favourites. It's the new Farish model, straight out of the box, posed with my entire collection of 16T minerals. First impressions, both in terms of looks and performance are superb and a great basis for finescaling and further refinement. I will post a couple more pictures and thoughts later on the aappropriate thread in the Farish section.

Jerry 

20201125_104514.jpg.f0a98bbaeddf5d788fd8a6ca61869232.jpg

• Like 19

1 minute ago, Caley Jim said:

So, with that yellow stripe, what's it doing south of Crewe?

Jim

looking flashy? 

From that angle it is really obvious that it needs a crew. Maybe they are in the brake van having a cuppa? If so they are standing on the main line whilst having a brew! 

• Like 1