Foxcote New Pit - formerly Highbury Colliery

queensquare

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

So, with that yellow stripe, what's it doing south of Crewe?

Jim

It wont be keeping the stripe, its number or that shiny black paint  for long Jim! Hopefully it will end up looking like one of the two below, seen at Writhlington Colliery in the mid-1960s.

8 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

I didn't think that the Late Crest yellow stripe model (sound fitted) was available yet?

Regards

Roy

Hi Roy, it's  is a review sample which I've been sent to put through its paces before invalidating the warranty! I can run it from Bath Junction to the entrance to the Colliery, which includes a 1 in 70 climb, without going through any point work so will be able to see what it can pull up the bank.

Jerry

917215948_48706001(2).jpg.d60a3c108a748869272ee41a45345f41.jpg.fe557c52ab3d29134de14107ec266bf5.jpg

385731719_48760001(2).jpg.be7f6c95c5fb39f635ec5906f93860f2.jpg.dfad14af970c33455a8eb596febe7422.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Will be interesting to see what it’s pulling power is on a gradient. Might be a quite in appropriate loco for the NLR pre-war on CF , but it would at least carry the correct letters. That is a very hilly route, but you never know it could be useful fitted with steel tyres. 

My first train set had a HD 2-8-0 so there’s an excuse for a CP. 

Tim

P.S.  

I succumbed.

Edited by CF MRC

4 hours ago, queensquare said:

It wont be keeping the stripe, its number or that shiny black paint  for long Jim! Hopefully it will end up looking like one of the two below, seen at Writhlington Colliery in the mid-1960s.

That's more how I remember them.  Will it be one of the 'Clyde Built' ones, like 48773 on the SVR?

Jim

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

That's more how I remember them.  Will it be one of the 'Clyde Built' ones, like 48773 on the SVR?

Jim

It will be one of the two grubby 8Fs at Writhlington colliery sidings above - both in  1965. 48706 has the wrong tender so 48760, Doncaster built and originally an LNER loco looks favourite. It also has the added appeal that it was one of a pair fitted with steam heating by the Western region for Royal train use - suspect it was a bit cleaner then! 

Jerry 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, queensquare said:

It will be one of the two grubby 8Fs at Writhlington colliery sidings above - both in  1965. 48706 has the wrong tender so 48760, Doncaster built and originally an LNER loco looks favourite. It also has the added appeal that it was one of a pair fitted with steam heating by the Western region for Royal train use - suspect it was a bit cleaner then! 

Jerry 

Hi Jerry

I stumbled across this last night.

48760 was my favourite 8F after seeing it work through Warmley at about 10pm on a Bath - Westerleigh mineral

train, at less than walking pace, in probably late 65.

However it wasn't I believe the steam heat fitted example from Green Park, that was 48309, hence it's all

too frequent use on railtours in the area. (I saw it hand one over to a pair of Ivatt tanks at Highbridge on the last day).

I confirmed my thoughts by checking the National Preservation website which has the following

You have an interesting 8F on your Castles page Nos. 81/82 on Llanelli shed.

This engine 48309 which together with 48707 pulled the Royal Train from Neyland to Aberystwyth 7/8/1955 and back to Carmarthen the next day, they were also the only 8F's fitted with steam heat'
This must have been a great sight and sound climbing out of Aberystwyth and on up Trawscoed bank with nearly 500 tons on the drawbar.
Referenced from Cambrian Companionship by TP Dalton OPC ISBN0-86093-344-X well worth a read.

Hope this is helpful

TONY

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Hi Jerry

I stumbled across this last night.

48760 was my favourite 8F after seeing it work through Warmley at about 10pm on a Bath - Westerleigh mineral

train, at less than walking pace, in probably late 65.

However it wasn't I believe the steam heat fitted example from Green Park, that was 48309, hence it's all

too frequent use on railtours in the area. (I saw it hand one over to a pair of Ivatt tanks at Highbridge on the last day).

I confirmed my thoughts by checking the National Preservation website which has the following

You have an interesting 8F on your Castles page Nos. 81/82 on Llanelli shed.

This engine 48309 which together with 48707 pulled the Royal Train from Neyland to Aberystwyth 7/8/1955 and back to Carmarthen the next day, they were also the only 8F's fitted with steam heat'
This must have been a great sight and sound climbing out of Aberystwyth and on up Trawscoed bank with nearly 500 tons on the drawbar.
Referenced from Cambrian Companionship by TP Dalton OPC ISBN0-86093-344-X well worth a read.

Hope this is helpful

TONY

Thanks Tony - that will teach me to believe captions!

Jerry

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Sithlord75 said:

Any idea what the coaching stock is made up of?  

Hi Kevin,

It looks like a Bullied 3 set (not entirely sure about the middle coach though). Stupid amounts of information on some of these sets available so someone will probably be able to provide the coach numbers. There's info on this thread for starters:

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 65179 said:

Hi Kevin,

It looks like a Bullied 3 set (not entirely sure about the middle coach though). Stupid amounts of information on some of these sets available so someone will probably be able to provide the coach numbers. There's info on this thread for starters:

Simon

Fabulous  picture. It look s like a Bulleid 3 set to me. I titivated a Farish set in MRJ 256. It will come as no surprise to anyone that, in 2mm, I don't care about the coach numbers:-))

Jerry

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Fabulous  picture. It look s like a Bulleid 3 set to me. I titivated a Farish set in MRJ 256. It will come as no surprise to anyone that, in 2mm, I don't care about the coach numbers:-))

Jerry

You'll be saying your happy for them to have the wrong set number next ;)

Simon (a Bulleid ignoramus)

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

My eyesight isn't what it was, but I would say the first coach is a Bulleid shortie (58'), the second a standard Bulleid CK, and the third an early Bulleid but the 63' version. Or perhaps a Maunsell.

I'm sure this train will have been widely photographed elsewhere.

Chris

2 hours ago, Chris Higgs said:

My eyesight isn't what it was, but I would say the first coach is a Bulleid shortie (58'), the second a standard Bulleid CK, and the third an early Bulleid but the 63' version. Or perhaps a Maunsell.

I'm sure this train will have been widely photographed elsewhere.

That is what I thought too. Of course, by this date the former rigid set structure applied to much of the Southern's coaching stock was rapidly breaking down, largely as a result of the withdrawal of anything that needed any money spent on it for repairs, but I don't think that the "set" system was formally abandoned (and surviving set numbers painted out in consequence) until later in that year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I think its fair to say that 2020 has been a bit rubbish, here's hoping that 2021 is a lot better and that, at some time, we will be allowed out to play again.

As last year, we’ve not sent cards but donated to the Forever Friends charity at the RUH hospital in Bath. When our youngest grandson was so keen to see us all that he arrived a month early they looked after both him and us fantastically. He’s a thriving, bouncy one year old now.... :D

Merry Christmas to one and all

Jerry and Kim

IMG_1491_(2).png.5fa0801f85c190a32e39f355c6b3dc69.png

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Blimey, can't believe it's almost exactly a year since I last posted on here - bit of dejavu! Needless to say 2021 hasn't been much better!

IMG_3206.JPG.5dd6a7beb95392e1f4cff0ddc9c7ec02.JPG

SDJR 0-4-4T No. 54 passes the colliery on a frosty December day with a train load of Christmas revellers heading for the bright gaslights of Bath. Kimberley is busy sorting out some troublesome trucks in the colliery yard - in my experience she'll soon have them whipped into shape!

As we have done for the last few years, in lieu of sending cards we have donated to the wonderful Forever Friends charity at the RUH in Bath who do great work and were brilliant when our youngest Grandson Archie arrived a little earlier than expected a couple of years ago - see the link below

https://www.ruh.nhs.uk/get_involved/forever_friends/index.asp

Merry Christmas one and all

Jerry

ps. I'd like to take credit for the clever photoshopery to produce the electronic card but nobody would believe me! Other  than making the models, it's all the work of that clever Andy York chap.

Bookmark

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3