Foxcote New Pit - formerly Highbury Colliery

queensquare

Jerry

I would think about designing and having your own custom decals printed for your lining. Although I've not done so on railway models I have had success doing similar for 1/285 scale aircraft. Precision Decals will print them for you and undertake the design work if you don't have the computer ability. It's certainly the method I'd try first.

• RMweb Gold

Well, as usual, Camrail was a corker. What it lacks in quantity it more than makes up for in quality. Both days saw an excellant turn out of 2mm members who kindly brought along a wide range of visiting locos ensuring that Tucking Mill started its exhibition career in much the same way that it will hopefully continue.

The social at The Barge on the saturday evening was also great fun - see Missy Julia's photos on the Camrail thread in exhibitions.

I have included a few snaps - apologies for the poor quality - to give an idea of the fun and games had. I will at some point start a new thread for Tucking Mill but here's a taster

post-1074-0-03601000-1311805463_thumb.jpg

The layout, taken in the workshop not at Camrail.

post-1074-0-36557800-1311805513_thumb.jpg

John Grenwood's finescaled Atlas Shay which raised a few eyebrows

post-1074-0-13882300-1311805636_thumb.jpg

My own Kimberly sandwiched by a couple of as yet untouched Farish J69's sat on new chassis

post-1074-0-93123500-1311805535_thumb.jpg

Andrew Grand's lovely scratchbuilt J10

post-1074-0-53518400-1311805576_thumb.jpgpost-1074-0-05319400-1311805596_thumb.jpg

Brother Simon Grand's beautiful Jubilee and J39 from the Bob Jones kit

post-1074-0-91327700-1311805555_thumb.jpg

A fine array of 2mm motive power around the train table. MR 800 class 2-4-0, ex GC J10,

Shay, a brace of panniers and J69's and Kimberly.

Sorry if I got some of my 'J's mixed up, I'm a bit sketchy on my eastern stuff. I did take some snaps of some of the other excellant exhibits which I will post in the Camrail thread in the next few days.

Cheers Jerry

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Tucking Mill started its exhibition career

I thought the Blue diesel layout was next ;)

This looks great Jerry...I really look forward to see a thread/blog started on it :yes:

• RMweb Gold

I thought the Blue diesel layout was next ;)

This looks great Jerry...I really look forward to see a thread/blog started on it :yes:

Thanks Pete, the blue diesel layout is still on the cards, but not yet! Ayway, just for you, this is what happens when you turn your back on your layout for five minutes.......

post-1074-0-65199000-1311945254_thumb.jpgpost-1074-0-18595300-1311945278_thumb.jpgpost-1074-0-39271300-1311945306_thumb.jpgpost-1074-0-23593700-1311945325_thumb.jpg

The Hymek is mine undergoing running trials before the body was lowered, detailed and weathered. The Teddybear is Pixie's and the stock is a mix of Pixie and Bryn. The deed was done at the excellant members day in Taunton earlier this year. I think they look rather good and very much at home - Kim's not so keen!

post-1074-0-20805100-1311945559_thumb.jpg

A couple of Association members were left to run the layout at the Basingstoke show whilst Kim and I went for lunch. When we got back we found these two brutes occupying the yard..

post-1074-0-03433800-1311945718_thumb.jpg

and finally, much more in keeping with how the colliery is supposed to look. A quiet moment at the sawmill with a pair of LNW twin bolsters waiting to be unloaded.

cheers Jerry

• Like 3

I thought the Hymek and teddybear were really believable Jerry. Right through the 1960s there were plenty of small coalmines still around in plenty of small coalfields. They didn't see much investment so the buildings, headgear and so on still look the part. And it wasn't until the 1970s that 16T minerals started being replaced in large numbers by HAA and HEA wagons. Geat stuff!

• RMweb Gold

I thought the Hymek and teddybear were really believable Jerry. Right through the 1960s there were plenty of small coalmines still around in plenty of small coalfields. They didn't see much investment so the buildings, headgear and so on still look the part. And it wasn't until the 1970s that 16T minerals started being replaced in large numbers by HAA and HEA wagons. Geat stuff!

Morning Alan,

yes, there were still a fair few small collieries going in north somerset at this time, a couple even hung on to their wooden headgear until closure. I thought the green diesels and 16 tonners looked good too hence working up my Hymek. Pixie has also kindly let me have one of the test etches for detailing the lovely Farish 14. If I switch a couple of the road vehicles and throw a grubby, down at heal pannier and/or jinty into the mix I think it will pass for a 1963/64 scene. I would like to get enough stock up together to be able to run the layout in both early 20's and early 60's mode over a two day show - my only problem is my chief operator, Kim, doesn't like the diesels. Oh well...

Jerry

Some lovely photos there Jerry - the new plate looks like a really good little shunting puzzle. I look forward to having a play soon!

Still plodding on with more stock for our Autumn date with the photographer - should have a fair stud of bits and pieces by then. Can I bring my full rake of MRG hoppers? Please sir. ;)

Pix

• RMweb Gold

Been tidying up the memory on my phone and came across a few photos I thought might be interesting. First up a blue diesel for Pete in Barcelona in the shape of Bryns converted Farish 24.

post-1074-0-08007100-1312833880_thumb.jpg

The next three shots have only a tenuous link to Highbury - they were taken in the workshop where Highbury lives and are of visitors - well more residents really!!

The first shows my three shed companions.

post-1074-0-97998200-1312834267_thumb.jpg

The second demonstrates I don't always get first dibs on the seat at my bench

post-1074-0-64529700-1312834427_thumb.jpg

although when I claim my seat back somebody else has to move over....

post-1074-0-64349500-1312834517_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 14

Just returned after best part of two weeks working at Glastonbury Festival - cream crackered!!

As many of you will know Highbury was built as a test bed for techniques and a test track for stock built for my big layout, Bath Queensquare (renamed Green Park by BR in the early 50's) as it would have looked in the 1920's with lots of lovely red and blue engines. The two unfinished locos featured in this installment are both destined for Bath and will both be in MR red as running in the early 1920's. The 1P 0-4-4T will work local trains to Bristol whilst the 800 class 2-4-0 will pilot a 483 4-4-0 on the northern leg of the Pines. Coaches to form these trains are well advanced although my worries over how I'm going to do the lining stubornly refuse to subside!

Jerry

Jerry, I think you told me once but who made the 2-4-0 for you, and does he take on commissions for others

Cheers

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Jerry, I think you told me once but who made the 2-4-0 for you, and does he take on commissions for others

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

the 2-4-0 was built by an old friend who used to do commissions but unfortunately no longer does. We have a long standing work swap arrangement. I am making the buildings and some stock for his layout in return for some locos. I haven't mentioned him by name as he is still regularly asked about commissions. Have sent you a pm.

regards Jerry

• RMweb Gold

First up a blue diesel for Pete in Barcelona in the shape of Bryns converted Farish 24.

Thanks Jerry...and it looks very 'at home' working the colliery I must say ;)

Must admit...those 66's are growing on me too...

That's probably the last time you and Kim will dare to take a lunch break at a show :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Just back from an extended stay in Cornwall following the excellent Three Spires Railex show in Truro last weekend which was a bit of a 2mm fest with John Greenwood's Wenford Bridge and John Birkett-Smith's Ashburton in attendance along with Highbury.

I took advantage of the show to get a couple of pictures of arguably Highbury's most outrageous shunter to date when JG's finescaled Atlas shay put in an appearance during happy hour. Whilst the loco is obviously absurd in this setting it ran beautifully and was fascinating to watch.

The other pictures show some of the regulars which run trains on the layout.

post-1074-0-42101100-1314227089_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-22381400-1314227128_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-00240000-1314227157_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-01251500-1314227180_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-30472600-1314227215_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-68530400-1314227250_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-02577200-1314227277_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-14207300-1314227326_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-63115600-1314227364_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-68442600-1314227447_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-44039500-1314227476_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-58418100-1314227500_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

most outrageous shunter to date when JG's finescaled Atlas shay put in an appearance during happy hour. Whilst the loco is obviously absurd in this setting...

...so diesels are frowned upon...but this is ok? :P

Lovely photos Jerry

• RMweb Gold

...so diesels are frowned upon...but this is ok? :P

Lovely photos Jerry

I know Pete but complaints about running non-authentic stock during happy hour were like a red rag to a bull......

If I'm not allowed to have fun then I'm going to take my toys home :rolleyes:

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

I think its a case of (misquoting) 'you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time' Its a good motto for exhibiting there is always some idiot that criticises. If you only ran the most appropriate stock they would prbably walk by saying its boring. Mind you I would worry about that Shay and the loading gauge. Things like that can remove all your signals. I sure if Pete brought his 37s over you would let them have a little run.

Don

• RMweb Gold

I sure if Pete brought his 37s over you would let them have a little run.

just booking my flight then...

On a more serious note :O ...How did you make the fence Jerry? I need to make something similiar to the second fence inboard from the edge...it looks very finite...and very nice too...

Thanks in advance

• RMweb Gold

just booking my flight then...

On a more serious note :O ...How did you make the fence Jerry? I need to make something similiar to the second fence inboard from the edge...it looks very finite...and very nice too...

Thanks in advance

Morning Pete,

your 37's would be very welcome anytime, indeed I have one I have fitted sound in which occasionaly growls up the colliery.

The fence posts are Association code 40 bullhead drilled .3mm in a simple jig and then threaded with fine wire which is pulled tight and strategicaly touched with a hot soldering iron. The wire came from some multi strand cable.

cheers Jerry

• RMweb Gold

your 37's would be very welcome anytime, indeed I have one I have fitted sound in which occasionaly growls up the colliery.

The fence posts are Association code 40 bullhead drilled .3mm in a simple jig and then threaded with fine wire which is pulled tight and strategicaly touched with a hot soldering iron. The wire came from some multi strand cable.

Many thanks Jerry...I was thinking of using plasticard but realised the other day I have a coil of code 40 myself spare, since I have been using easitrac of late...time to snap some small drills me thinks :D

• RMweb Gold

I think its a case of (misquoting) 'you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time' Its a good motto for exhibiting there is always some idiot that criticises. If you only ran the most appropriate stock they would prbably walk by saying its boring. Mind you I would worry about that Shay and the loading gauge. Things like that can remove all your signals. I sure if Pete brought his 37s over you would let them have a little run.

Don

Signals......on the North Somerset light railway......actualy, the new layout Tucking Mill is due to have a working signal although I don't think the shay is destined to be a regular.

The worst critic we had was a particularly annoying chap at Romsey who moaned, admittedly correctly, that most of the stuff we ran was probably too big for the branch. I tried explaining that we knew that but it would be a pretty boring exhibit if we ran it authenticaly but he kept going on and on and in the end I started running it authenticaly for him. On the real thing trains would probably have run monday, wednesday friday as required - never at weekends and certainly not on a sunday. I ran a sunday service and Kim and I hid round the back of the layout until he went off to annoy somebody else!!

I would add he was the only viewer at the time.

cheers Jerry

• Like 3