QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

Hello Singletrack

Thank you for your interest in QUAY:87.

QUAI:87 is a layout that I built to incorporate quite a few of the things I’ve always wanted to have on a layout, things I’d come across on my travels over the years. Inset track I have always found interesting, and canals and waterways, and industrial scenes with tight clearances and complicated trackwork. Buildings and things I have copied from ones I have come across as you will have gathered. The layout is not based on any particular place or era although I feel more comfortable with ‘pre Brexit’, but is clearly Northern Europe. I didn’t want my new layout to be too ‘ordinary’ (station, run round loop, train disappearing under a bridge to fiddle yard, (no fiddle yard here, who are they kidding), you know the sort of thing so I put the canal right down the middle, avoiding the usual scenario where the viewer is left standing in the water. This meant I could have a swing bridge (I always had a hankering for them as well) connecting the railway lines on both sides of the canal. Quayside rail lines, always liked them. This meant that my swing bridge, by careful arrangement of the trackplan, I could have the bridge play a real functional role instead of just turning for its own sake. Seeing as I had managed this for one bridge I thought I’d do it with two (just because I could). There used to be a prototype for this arrangement I think at the docks in Hobart Tas.

The sharp curves are intentional as they can be used to create intricate geometric shapes to fit the buildings into and around with tight clearances that have always fascinated me. The inset trackwork determined (for me) the use of proto scale flangeway clearances etc, coarse scale inset track just doesn’t do it for me.

Other features such as the wagon hoist to the high level line to the stealth factory, the wagon turntables and the pre-cooling shed for Interfrigo just got added as the fancy took me. A train ferry slip like the one at Rjukan is a possibility in the future. The whole layout is of irregular shape and all on one baseboard. No joins.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Brian Harrap said:

A train ferry slip like the one at Rjukan is a possibility in the future.

I would really like to see that if you can replicate angles shown in the picture on p23 Train ferries of Western Europe P Ransome Wallis, Ian Allan 1968.

I would have thought that the gauntleted track OHL access across the link span would be quite a feat in itself, especially if the ferry "sailed".

That does not include the sharp angle (heel?) of the ferry (Rjukanfoss) in the background.

The angle of course reflects the fact that the ferry is unbalanced because one track is loaded and the other is not.

Ian T

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ianathompson said:

I would really like to see that if you can replicate angles shown in the picture on p23 Train ferries of Western Europe P Ransome Wallis, Ian Allan 1968.

I would have thought that the gauntleted track OHL access across the link span would be quite a feat in itself, especially if the ferry "sailed".

That does not include the sharp angle (heel?) of the ferry (Rjukanfoss) in the background.

The angle of course reflects the fact that the ferry is unbalanced because one track is loaded and the other is not.

Ian T

Just checking my copy now Ian

B

• RMweb Premium
On 11/02/2021 at 11:14, Brian Harrap said:

The whole layout is of irregular shape and all on one baseboard.

And shows signs of actually becoming a fully-fledged island with a train ferry service UIC symbol for British loading gauge ferry wagon by the sound of it :-)

• Like 1

Thanks for the background story Baron. A slip would be a nice addition. 

I had a run on the Rjukan line previous summer with my son, Mæl to Rjukan. Had the museum train to our self because of the pandemic situation. 

Anyway, here is Amonia by the quay and Storegut at the slip, at Mæl. 

2020-07-10 13.50.25.jpg

Edited by Singletrack
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

Rope shunting with El 5

El 5 locomotives where built for the Norwegian State railway (NSB) in two series 1926 and 1927, a total of 12. They where taken out of service between 1969 and 1972. 
El5.2039 is the only one left and was restored in the 1970s. 

Ragnar

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful film. Thanks again Ragnar.

Translation from YouTube 

In the last months before the Rjukan line was closed, none of the line's own electric locomotives were in drivable condition. By agreement with the Norwegian Technical Museum, the old El 5.2039, built in 1926, was lent to the Rjukan line. This locomotive led regular freight trains to the track was closed down on 4 July 1991. In the video we see the locomotive drive out of the locomotive shed, lead a freight train down Vestfjorddalen, drive over the bridge on Miland, and change carriages on and off the railway ferry "Storegut" at the ferry berth on Mæl at Tinnsjøen. In the background there we see the old steam-powered railway ferry «Ammonia». Afterwards, the locomotive pulls carriages up the valley towards the factories at Rju

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...