QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

• 2 weeks later...

This is how the Winch looks installed under QUAI:87. The sewing thread actually does the pulling, the chain is for the cosmetic look of the thing above ground. The greeny patches are where I was testing canal base colour paint - not the canal leaking. The swing bridges are driven in a very similar way. Brian.

post-5773-0-60473300-1308415938_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Certainly some inspirational thinking there which could be applied to other working elements Brian. I assume the bridges are weighted so they fall when the motor is reversed?

Certainly some inspirational thinking there which could be applied to other working elements Brian. I assume the bridges are weighted so they fall when the motor is reversed?

Yes Andy, the hoist lowers by its own weight. The canal bridges are of the swing type which are also returned independently by a weight(s)(a few nuts on a bent coathanger) but involve rather more cup hooks and screw eyes and a couple of bicycle spokes. Best left hidden under the layout, but it all works, Brian.

• 3 weeks later...

In response to numerous requests here is a picture of the upper works of the wagon hoist on QUAI:87. Shown in its nude state as it were, much cosmetic work is in progress such as a winding/engine house and some other bits and pieces whose function is uncertain but will hopefully make the whole thing look quite business like. I did in fact install a sprocket for the (somewhat oversize I admit, but the smallest I could get) lifting chain to run over on the top cross member but contrarily enough the whole thing runs much smoother without it. It has to run smooth as John Farmer has insisted on 'no jiggling' in operation, hence also four 2mm roller bearings arranged cantilever fashion supporting the table (bed??). The slopingness of the affair is inspired, but not a model of, the well known one that used to be at Leytonstone. It has been the very devil to line up, both the upper and lower tracks having been installed before the hoist was built. Not the best way round to do it.

post-5773-0-80588800-1310123528_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

You are a clever old clogs, Brian - I do like that!

You are now inspiring me to spend a fortune on some more point motors and cut them up to operate level crossing gates! ;)

Now you're talking! B)

In response to numerous requests here is a picture of the upper works of the wagon hoist on QUAI:87. Shown in its nude state as it were, much cosmetic work is in progress such as a winding/engine house and some other bits and pieces whose function is uncertain but will hopefully make the whole thing look quite business like. I did in fact install a sprocket for the (somewhat oversize I admit, but the smallest I could get) lifting chain to run over on the top cross member but contrarily enough the whole thing runs much smoother without it. It has to run smooth as John Farmer has insisted on 'no jiggling' in operation, hence also four 2mm roller bearings arranged cantilever fashion supporting the table (bed??). The slopingness of the affair is inspired, but not a model of, the well known one that used to be at Leytonstone. It has been the very devil to line up, both the upper and lower tracks having been installed before the hoist was built. Not the best way round to do it.

In case anyone was wondering about the size of the roller bearings on the hoist here's the prototype, Brian.

post-5773-0-64160700-1310209906_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

You are now inspiring me to spend a fortune on some more point motors and cut them up to operate level crossing gates! ;)

Someone was asking about motorizing crossing gates back along, I wonder if anyone suggested tortoises? Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget that the original gates were most likely operated by a single thing (gate wheel) driving a single rod with escapement mechanisms = one point motor (if someone digs out some drawings of the escapement mechanism, which I might just happen to have ina signal engineering textbook ;)).

• 1 month later...

Danged if I dain't fit Stable Doors to the small loco shed on QUAI:87 after all. If you're curious to know why why not pop along to the Farnham MRC show at Aldershot 8-9 Oct this year where QUAI:87 will be on display and all will become clear. Brian.

post-5773-0-60432000-1314433162_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Danged if I dain't fit Stable Doors to the small loco shed on QUAI:87 after all. If you're curious to know why why not pop along to the Farnham MRC show at Aldershot 8-9 Oct this year where QUAI:87 will be on display and all will become clear. Brian.

Stable Doors? I know I once jokingly suggested you should have a shunting horse or has it already bolted? Or is this where you store all the poor tortoises that have lost their motors?

Howard :jester:

• Like 1

Stable Doors? I know I once jokingly suggested you should have a shunting horse or has it already bolted? Or is this where you store all the poor tortoises that have lost their motors?

Howard :jester:

Hello Howard, there's a 20ft drop in front of the shed and we wouldn't want poor Dobin or anyone else taking a purler would we, Brian.

20 Feet?!!!! Surely you mean 6 metres, Brian. The EU commissars will be foaming at the mouth. (Is ZOBland in the EU?).

Vive la Revolution!

Howard

Nay lad, contraire, tis anticipated that the EU, when its affairs are sorted, will make an application to become part of ZOBland itself, Brian.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I suspect that it's something to do with a EU directive on the dreaded health & safety so that when the hoist is at the bottom any poor unfortunate worker can't plunge to his death. :O I believe that there must be some sort of automatic locking system before the platform descends! :P