QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

On 11/02/2023 at 14:48, Brian Harrap said:

It was while John Farmer and I were fiddling about photographing his ES1 which he had kindly brought over to QUAI:87 for a play that I noticed that the kilometer marker on the quayside was gently reminding us that for all its attractiveness, it is the wrong scale. 

491517958_QUAI87ES1Feb2023003b.jpg.1d8b5682acec1ee4952980e9e035c224.jpg

Plenty of European examples of that type of loco.  You'll need to get Mike Edge to shrink his kit down to HO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNCF_BB_1280

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/02/2023 at 15:20, Brian Harrap said:

Hello Geraint,

The stop sign. I came across this contraption whilst ferreting around a cement works at Lixhe in Belgium (I had thought such smashboard signals were confined to the wild west) but here it was clearly allowing access to only one siding at a time although quite why I was not able to find out. I had to have one on QUAI:87 of course and I rather cheated a bit by installing it at the confluence of several diamonds that needed a polarity change switch so thats what rotating the stop board on the layout does. Driving you loco onto a wrongly set diamond is thus averted.

Of now to check out oebeek........Obeka......... you know the one

Best, Brian

Lixhe Spring 2009 077.jpg

QUAI 87 Stop Board 2.jpg

Love these quirks and that you have given them practical function in the operation of the layout

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Brian Harrap said:

New hearing aids - none of my stuff runs as quietly as it used to. Bah

I had better avoid buying some new glasses. I think my layout looks OK at the moment 🙂

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 months later...

Brian,

Some reminiscing this weekend with Gerco van Zetten in Holland, as we were watching DVDs of the Rail exhibitions in 1998 and 2009 with ZOB and Quai87 as highlights, along with Iain Rice's Bodesmeer. We all looked so much younger then!

Also a trip to the narrow gauge museum at Katwijk for their modelling weekend, where I spotted this picture. Clearly a simple (for you) track layout!

20230826_130205.jpg.238dd0ebcaebfb843ce379a84fb9760d.jpg

Best wishes,

Geraint

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Geraint,

Seems you had a fun time in Holland with Gerco. I hope you didn't have too much trouble with getting Ians' railway stuff passed the border police, how things have changed now - no more easily  trundling across with a layout to a European show. I did enjoy the visits I was able to do, such fun. It would have been a very early version of QUAI:87 you would have been looking at, before the wagon hoist and the higher level was added and a lot more buildings too of course.

As for the brainstorm of trackwork you sent, no thanks if you don't mind, the old eyes and fingers aren't what they were.

all the best and thanks for the update, happy modeling,

Brian

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1