QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

Here's an update on the still abuilding trackwork on QUAI:87. Most of the components for this side of the waterway are just about complete, and some of them actually follow some of the lines I made on the drawing I showed earlier. Somewhat organic is my trackbuilding. The ply insert pieces between the blades cover the moving contacts for the frog polarity, quite important when the whole lot is going to be buried in the quayside. Just got to dig up the old track and roadway now ready to install the new, probably cobbles. The track heading across the water will be supported on piling, somewhat limiting navigation but thats what happens on so many old canals. Turnout operation will be wire in tube as usual or even the 'poke a screwdriver in to lever the blades over' method, already got one or two like that. Brian.

post-5773-0-37971700-1326206575_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

The street has been dug up and the new trackwork installed, tacked down with a few drops of super glue. After a good testing with my 'awkward' stock I shall bury the whole lot in tiling grout and then dig it out again if you see what I mean; then there's the cobbles to carve. O happy days. The other pic shows the detail of the frog polarity switching gear - sometimes I do the switching at the operating lever but as these points will be operated 'close to- that is a crowbar in the blades' (shock/horror) as it were I am using my 'lazy' method. I find I use lazy more and more these days.

post-5773-0-86351500-1326736834_thumb.jpg

post-5773-0-28095400-1326736862_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

excellent Brian.....any suggestions for effective 'check' rail representation for inset trackage, aside from more rail itself? [cost is crucial I'm afraid]

Hmmm its more rail to represent a check rail I'm afraid, doubles the cost of a length of track I know. Tramway type inset track can be fashioned using nickel strip to make grooved rail but still costs. Have you considered inset track made up using preformed concrete slabs for the road surface-quite often used on the prototype. These could be fashioned quite cheaply from plasticard. Whatever you do please be neat and fill in the flangeway gap so that you cant see down through the sleepers to the baseboard below as this looks 'orrible. Anyone else got any other ideas? Regards, Brian.

Edited by Brian Harrap

Ah, yes, Easy Street, I'd forgotten about that. I also forgot to mention that perfectly acceptable looking inset trackage can be made without bothering with check rails at all - just cover the whole lot in tiling grout (gives a better flangeway than Polyfiller) and carefully cutting out the groove for the flanges with a saw blade when set. All depends what you want to end up with I suppose and what suits you best. Good luck anyway, alastairq, its great fun, Brian.

Hi Brian,

Glad to see that you have carried out your threat to install a 2nd run round loop on your layout. The pointwork looked superb in the raw and I like the idea of how you intend to fit it into the layout. Look forward to another operating session when it is done.

railwayrod

Hi Brian,

Glad to see that you have carried out your threat to install a 2nd run round loop on your layout.

railwayrod

Actually, Rod, this will create 3 runround loops, the third one using both bridges.

Howard

Wonderful representation of canal "water" too.......................and look at all the lovely "tut" on the Quayside (lower left corner).

PS Sorry "tut" is a word my dear old Mother (RIP) used to say for "unidentifiable crappy stuff", possibly Kentish in origin?

Pete,

How interesting. My stepfather had a Kentish background, if you consider Bromley to be Kent that is. However, I always thought it was spelt toot, as that was how I heard it pronounced.

Ashley

This picture shows the first layer of filler applied. The areas where I don't want filler to go are masked off naturally. The blades are masked with sellotape so I can see where they are. It all looks a bit of a mess and it is. Trying to get a good finish with one covering doesn't work for me, settling always makes the sleepers underneath show through and the I can't get rid of their tell tale ridges. A bit of a sand down and then a second or even third covering will finish it off nicely. Then hope the trains still run. Then its cobbling. Brain.

post-5773-0-42439100-1327063023_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Wonderful representation of canal "water" too.......................and look at all the lovely "tut" on the Quayside (lower left corner).

Best, Pete.

PS Sorry "tut" is a word my dear old Mother (RIP) used to say for "unidentifiable crappy stuff", possibly Kentish in origin?

My old Mum too: cockney I always thought!

Andrew

Oops sorry forgot to say Brian, it's a great model. Not just because of the tut (pronounced like "soot") but it's flair, imagination and originality coupled with the best of British practical engineering.

Andrew

Thank you Andrew, as it happens the ....er... stuff (ground cover seems an odd expression to me) is no more than the sweepings from my front yard with some of the larger bits sieved out. Pleased you like the layout, best, Brian.

Oh do please tell us where the Herr Hotpoint reference comes from!.....

It actually goes back about 40 years when we were both early members of South Devon MRS. As there was already another member called Brian and Mr Harrap happened at that time to drive a works van with "Hotpoint" on the side he got dubbed "Brian Hotpoint". (He'll probably cross me off his Christmas card list after telling you this!)

HSB

• RMweb Gold

It actually goes back about 40 years when we were both early members of South Devon MRS. As there was already another member called Brian and Mr Harrap happened at that time to drive a works van with "Hotpoint" on the side he got dubbed "Brian Hotpoint". (He'll probably cross me off his Christmas card list after telling you this!)

HSB

Priceless, thank you so much, that will come in handy at some time!....

PS. I won't say a word who spilt the beans!

While we're at it I thought you might like this shot of the good cap'n trying to float his camera in the canal on QUAI:87. Maybe he's doing an under water survey to see if I've modelled all the old supermarkt trollies that have been thrown into the bottom of said canal (sorry SM trollies would be out of period, corpses perhaps) Brian.

post-5773-0-16704800-1327497052_thumb.jpg

• Like 11