QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

Seeing Quai in all its naked glory, as above..I am minded of recognising where the Harry Potter flim makers got their inspiration, for Hogwarts staircases from?  :)

As always, marvellous stuff, Brian........and whatever you decide to come up with...bearing in mind, most of us reading this will have either endured, or  have to look forward to, you age related afflictions.....whatever it is, it will doubtless be an inspiration to those of us who have stumbled over these very issues.?

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Brian,

Long ago I gave up trying to guess what might come out of the ZOB workshops next, but that mere statement gave me an idea. Why wouldn't the ZOB repair works be located alongside Quai87, and why wouldn't they have expanded their business to offer refurbishment and maintenance services to all comers, whether standard or narrow gauge? One could imagine all sorts of oddities arriving by ship, by transporter wagon or under their own power - the world's your oyster!

I quite understand the need to go back to something that grabs the imagination, and besides, we p87 folk need to stick together! The RGVJ directors will be pleased to see such a renowned engineering establishment staying in business!

All the best. Hopefully we can catch up soon.

Geraint

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Middlepeak said:

SNIPPED

I quite understand the need to go back to something that grabs the imagination, and besides, we p87 folk need to stick together! The RGVJ directors will be pleased to see such a renowned engineering establishment staying in business!

Geraint

1470161300_GUXingclose-600.jpg.bc57edcb1c26d2f70c08c70c15aecb1d.jpg

FWIW in imagination grabbing, Proto:87 Grand Union nearing completion. 2 rail wiring and 8/16 point motors are a bit of an issue yet ;)

Andy

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 minutes ago, Neil said:

I wonder how many of the wallet busters they sell? It's a bit of a niche market even before considering any inherent reluctance to spend 765 euros on a card kit.

And if you add in the linkspan, terminal building and dockside crane kits - 1,089 euros. Hmm. (starts scribbling on a scrap of paper) "Dear Santa, ..."  :^)

• Funny 1

15 hours ago, Andy Reichert said:

1470161300_GUXingclose-600.jpg.bc57edcb1c26d2f70c08c70c15aecb1d.jpg

FWIW in imagination grabbing, Proto:87 Grand Union nearing completion. 2 rail wiring and 8/16 point motors are a bit of an issue yet ;)

Andy

Hello Andy

Thank you for your interest in this stuff. I do like the grand junction assembled from your components, looks like a cracker. If i ever do one it will be of the type I saw several of in Prague where three rails all share the same crossing. Nearly got run over photo-ing those in the rush hour.

On my own tramway trackage I like to colour the base of the flangeway groove a crud colour. Is this possible with the fabricated parts and still maintain good electrical contact? Been meaning to ask for some time as a friend of mine is considering using it.

Regards, Baron

Just looking at the pic more closely it appears the wheels run on their flanges throughout the complex and not just at the crossings as is more usual. Interesting stuff to me.

Grand_tour_2015f_018.jpg.e28b779e5186a5f9f3f6aece29fcf22a.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Brian Harrap said:

On my own tramway trackage I like to colour the base of the flangeway groove a crud colour. Is this possible with the fabricated parts and still maintain good electrical contact?

Electrically conductive paint:

https://cpc.farnell.com/bare-conductive/sku-0216/electric-paint-jar-50ml/dp/MK00609?st=electrically conductive paints

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Brian Harrap said:

Hello Andy

Thank you for your interest in this stuff. I do like the grand junction assembled from your components, looks like a cracker. If i ever do one it will be of the type I saw several of in Prague where three rails all share the same crossing. Nearly got run over photo-ing those in the rush hour.

On my own tramway trackage I like to colour the base of the flangeway groove a crud colour. Is this possible with the fabricated parts and still maintain good electrical contact? Been meaning to ask for some time as a friend of mine is considering using it.

Regards, Baron

Just looking at the pic more closely it appears the wheels run on their flanges throughout the complex and not just at the crossings as is more usual. Interesting stuff to me.

Thanks Brian,

Proto wheels (P87 and P4) run solely on their tyres, So flange way colouring is fine. Deeper flange wheels run in the flange tips, but only at scale speeds.   In the latter case the increase in pressure seems to obviate the need for cleaning track entirely. But using pencil lead in the grooves seems to stay around regardless.

Andy

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 23/01/2020 at 17:14, Middlepeak said:

Brian,

Long ago I gave up trying to guess what might come out of the ZOB workshops next, but that mere statement gave me an idea. Why wouldn't the ZOB repair works be located alongside Quai87, and why wouldn't they have expanded their business to offer refurbishment and maintenance services to all comers, whether standard or narrow gauge? One could imagine all sorts of oddities arriving by ship, by transporter wagon or under their own power - the world's your oyster!

All the best. Hopefully we can catch up soon.

Geraint

Thanks Geraint,

Might be the germ of an idea there, often thought of joining the two layouts together somehow but finding the space to do it is another thing.

I'll let you know if and when such workshops are up and running - might even see some RGVJ stock on the quays, that would be something.

Thanks for your support and long live P87

Brian

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Brian.

Good to see the old layout being refurbished and from some of the suggestions above you have a range of options. However knowing you and how you work you will come up with something special and uniquely ZOB. It is always nice to start a new layout with a clean canvas but refurbishing an existing one is a challenge which I know you will relish. Looking forward to seeing progress.

By the way (and off topic) my layout will be in Railway Modeller April edition probably as "Railway of the Month" but we will see.

Rod

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I did wonder if the "blue beast" was some kind of extra large/long weighing station. The above ground frame clearly is all rigid. But there are 4 heavy capstans on the top which clearly can raise/lower the corners of what ever is below.  Unless there is some deep subterranean lift for one or several cars, , I don't see much opportunity for visible animation. 

Andy

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Andy Reichert said:

I did wonder if the "blue beast" was some kind of extra large/long weighing station. The above ground frame clearly is all rigid. But there are 4 heavy capstans on the top which clearly can raise/lower the corners of what ever is below.  Unless there is some deep subterranean lift for one or several cars, , I don't see much opportunity for visible animation. 

Andy

Indeed Brian, where and what on earth is it? The pulleys and wires are confusing. :unsure:

• Agree 1