QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

Hello Singletrack

Yes the Kaluga does get involved in shunting operations. I have quite a few items of rolling stock which still has the old Marklin type couplings which I don't think I shall get round to changing. The rest of it I have fitted with KD knuckle type couplings mainly for improved appearance. So that I can use both types together on the quai's  I have fitted the Kaluga with a differing coupler at either end, rather appropriate I thought given the heritage of the prototype. When playing with the layout in this mode I shunt all the Marklin fitted wagons into sidings facing east and the KD's facing west so it all works out quite well and everything gets a bit of a run on the Quai's.

Thank you for your interest, I am working (in my head) on an idea for a train ferry type diorama which I shall share with you when I've got it sorted.

Regards, Brian

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Exited to see what you come up with Brian. 

On the link below you find lots of pictures from the repair of the overhead catenary at Mæl dock, Rjukanbanene 1999. 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/548503381849438/permalink/3183990748300675/

(Membership needed, but a little use of Google translate will probably get you accepted)

Maybe som inspiration

/Ragnar

Edited by Singletrack
Group membership needed
  • Like 1

Hello Ragnar

I am currently working on a mockup of what I propose to build. Its a bit unusual and so far has got some funny looks from members of the local RR club. I shall make some improvements before I post it on here.

Couldn't get access to the photos on the link you sent - have to be a member and I can't answer the questions in Norse.

Best regards, Brian

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Brian Harrap said:

you just have to photograph the light while its there

Or use the light switch ! :jester:

Edited by bgman
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 05/12/2021 at 16:59, bgman said:

Or use the light switch ! :jester:

Yes Graham, but I cant get artificial light to pierce  under the rail/ ballast gap on the track to the right nor pick out the verdigris green of the OHL so well before it goes black. Just sayin,

Baron

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Harrap said:

Yes Graham, but I cant get artificial light to pierce  under the rail/ ballast gap on the track to the right nor pick out the verdigris green of the OHL so well before it goes black. Just sayin,

Baron

Now you're just being picky ! :D

On 09/12/2021 at 18:18, Singletrack said:

@Brian Harrap you have previously shown some prototype buildings that have given inspiration for buildings on the Quai. Is there a prototype for the «cut-away» building to the left of the wagon turntable?

image.png.5e501b46f976d52f3ffea7e5faf3eeee.png

/Ragnar

Hello Ragnar,

The building is not an exact model of any real building but I got the idea from such a building at Goole (gone now).  The Goole building was cut back to make room for the wagon turntable that was used to turn around end unloading coal wagons so they were correctly orientated for running to the tippler and unloading into ships.

The turn table on QUAI:87 is used to turn Kuhlwagons the right way round for running into the precooling shed on the right. There was a building in the way to the left so I cut it back as at Goole. Just for fun really. Sorry about the low resolution pics, all I have just now.

Thank you for your interest,

Brian

Goole 01.JPG

Goole 02.JPG

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brian,

I hadn't noticed before that the swing gate over the adjacent siding bears the legend 'STOP'. A nod to the English audience maybe, or is it to disguise the real location of the Quai?

Either way, it keeps me guessing and it's nice to see some new pictures to inspire us!

Best wishes,

Geraint

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, it was nice to have a play with Quai 87. Very reminiscent of enjoyable trips with it to The Netherlands.

Something interesting to see that there is now new catenary, offset on one part of the layout across the canal and standard on many other tracks! Much thought is now needed when shunting!

20230209_151538.jpg.6b276d22fc87eca952e8c04071dee006.jpg

20230209_152011.jpg.b27cb102abb1c4d25781ac64aa76c29d.jpg

20230209_151614.jpg.a9b78e9506301bbaf0d0dc588b662da1.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Middlepeak said:

Brian,

I hadn't noticed before that the swing gate over the adjacent siding bears the legend 'STOP'. A nod to the English audience maybe, or is it to disguise the real location of the Quai?

Either way, it keeps me guessing and it's nice to see some new pictures to inspire us!

Best wishes,

Geraint

The Stop sign is fairly universal in wide areas of Europe.  it is certainly used in France and Germany and from failing memory the Netherlands - so that would include Belgium as well.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

The Stop sign is fairly universal in wide areas of Europe.  it is certainly used in France and Germany and from failing memory the Netherlands - so that would include Belgium as well.

Was in Belgium this week - I can confirm that “STOP” appears on stop signs there.

• Like 2

On 11/02/2023 at 16:07, Middlepeak said:

Brian,

Best wishes,

Geraint

Hello Geraint,

The stop sign. I came across this contraption whilst ferreting around a cement works at Lixhe in Belgium (I had thought such smashboard signals were confined to the wild west) but here it was clearly allowing access to only one siding at a time although quite why I was not able to find out. I had to have one on QUAI:87 of course and I rather cheated a bit by installing it at the confluence of several diamonds that needed a polarity change switch so thats what rotating the stop board on the layout does. Driving you loco onto a wrongly set diamond is thus averted.

Of now to check out oebeek........Obeka......... you know the one

Best, Brian

Lixhe Spring 2009 077.jpg

QUAI 87 Stop Board 2.jpg

Edited by Brian Harrap
  • Like 11