QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

damn, I'm drooling all over the keyboard again! What marvellous stuff, Brian?

Off topic, is that a Tatra I spy [blue, with a fin?]

does the driver of the [3-wheeler?} yellow van often find himself in totally the wrong place,,,time and time again?

Terrible thing, getting one's wheel stuck in the groove?

Any ideas on how to discourage tight-rope walkers?

Which came first? the desire to build yet more track and finding the canal in the way?

Or the inspiration to model a gridiron bridge, then having to find an excuse for its presence?

damn, I'm drooling all over the keyboard again! What marvellous stuff, Brian?

Off topic, is that a Tatra I spy [blue, with a fin?]

does the driver of the [3-wheeler?} yellow van often find himself in totally the wrong place,,,time and time again?

Terrible thing, getting one's wheel stuck in the groove?

Any ideas on how to discourage tight-rope walkers?

Which came first? the desire to build yet more track and finding the canal in the way?

Or the inspiration to model a gridiron bridge, then having to find an excuse for its presence?

Pleased you like it Alastair, and well spotted that is a Tatra their model 87 which seemed rather appropriate for an HO layout. Ah the chappie with the three wheeler, he doesn't bet too upset getting the front wheel stuck in the goove........I've given him permission to change the points so he can get home.........the only snag arises when he meets the cyclist stuck in the groove comming the other way. Concerning the bridge it just seemed like a good idea at the time and it's not a thing I've seen modelled very often, if at all, so I thought I'd have one. It gave me another run round loop using the two swing bridges which all adds to the fun and I was able to sneek in another siding half over the water by the stealth factory. Best, Brian.

Ps forgot to mention its great to hear the bridge timbers creaking as a loco crawls across and bits of dislodged 'stuff' gently rain down into the water. Can you get creaking timbers in DCC sound - might just convert me.

Edited by Brian Harrap

• RMweb Premium

Ps forgot to mention its great to hear the bridge timbers creaking as a loco crawls across and bits of dislodged 'stuff' gently rain down into the water. Can you get creaking timbers in DCC sound - might just convert me.

Surely now the challenge is for Exhibition Managers to locate your presentation where you can tread on a suitably tuned squeaky floor panel/board at the appropriate moment?

Edited by DIW

Civil Engineering's version of dandruff?

Whilst you're at it, why not a DCC-animated startled seagull taking off, squawking... whenever a loco crosses?

Have you imposed a speed limit?

[or do your operators simply...''bottle-out?'']

How often is the canal dragged for bodies?

Never mind the sounds, what about some 'olefactory airs?'

Marvellous.....thanks, Brian....your efforts with lacy complex trackwork in the past are what encouraged me to make my own....not quite to your standards, however, as an expression which involves fists and ham spring to mind.....

Surely now the challenge is for Exhibition Managers to locate your presentation where you can tread on a suitably tuned squeaky floor panel/board at the appropriate moment?

Squeaky foor panel............my creaking back will probably do come to think of it, Brian.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here's one last picture of the mock up of the Stealth Factory on QUAI:87 (got to make stealths somewhere) before it's final demolition to make room for its replacement ready for S4um, Brian

post-5773-0-72184600-1341996559_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brian Harrap
  • Like 7

I happened to be excavating in the deepest recesses of one of my old ZOBstock cupboards this morning and came across this. I'd quite forgotten it and I daresay new readers won't even be aware such a thing ever existed so I thought I'd share it with you here. It might just tax the QUAI:87 tramway power supply a bit so pantographs down. Brian.

post-5773-0-99704000-1342351450_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

dullsteamer got the nearest. It is in fact two Fleischman Rc bodies spliced together - cut and shut 2/3ds (about) of each, the two original power bogies retained with a floating non powered but current collecting centre bogie. It seemed to me at the time (many moons ago) that this would be the way to go after the highly sucessful Rc4 and Rc5 when Bo Bo Bo machines were becoming the in thing. A gentleman from ASEA (whose name I regret I forget) became aware of my model and came over here (Newton Abbot) and explained that ASEA had indeed considered this step and he gave me an artists drawing (can't find that either, it may be with my effects in Australia) of how it might appear. Very like my model and very red if I recall. With the two power bogies and eight traction tyres it will pull wallpaper off the wall, used to run it quite a bit on the old Axalp layout. Two spare cabs left over - I used one to make a matching driving trailer. O happy days, Brian.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

As I have spent my entire life in the hometown of ASEA... Västerås, Sweden, some things from this enterprise has found their way into my collection. And one such thing is the promo leaflet for the above mentioned locomotive.

RcTriBo.jpg

ygberg

• Like 3

Brian, you are excused for this oversight!

I tried myself to do this with two Lima Rc bodies but it takes to much cutting and fitting to do it right. Damn near impossible to fit som many pieces of the corrugated sidewall and get good joints.

And by the way... I really like your complex trackwork and the bridges. The idea of using one swing bridge for two different routes is just brilliant!

ygberg

Edited by ygberg

Brian, you are excused for this oversight!

I tried myself to do this with two Lima Rc bodies but it takes to much cutting and fitting to do it right. Damn near impossible to fit som many pieces of the corrugated sidewall and get good joints.

And by the way... I really like your complex trackwork and the bridges. The idea of using one swing bridge for two different routes is just brilliant!

ygberg

Yes the corrugations were a bit tricky especially as there is only one chance to get it right. The reasoning behind the swing bridge configurations was to have the working bridges actually do something for real rather than just for show. Pleased you have enjoyed it, regards, Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

If you were moved to raise an eyebrow or two at the rather quirky loco shed at the end of the overhead section on QUAI:87 (see pic in post #24) you should see what the daft begger's come up with at the other end of the line. Don't forget, there's a prototype for everything, Brian.

post-5773-0-80806700-1345457358_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

If you were moved to raise an eyebrow or two at the rather quirky loco shed at the end of the overhead section on QUAI:87 (see pic in post #24) you should see what the daft begger's come up with at the other end of the line. Don't forget, there's a prototype for everything, Brian.

It's stealth, Jim, but not as we know it.... :jester:

A most commodious-looking edifice, if I may say so!

Just brilliant, genius; and it surely must the first and only layout to date to warn of the perils of GM products. In fact those flowers look far too healthy on the barge too. The Baron is up to something.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You don't think it might be that the canal's full of sh**? You know how mucky these Continentals are.

It can be rather smelly in there when it gets hot at shows. I think that it's all those buckets full of fish heads that he throws in.