Cravens class 105 DMU

johnw1

Cravens class 105 – A batch of 85 vehicles were built (lots 30352/53/54) in 1957 and formed into 19 three car sets and 14 power twin sets. (M50752 – M50817 and M59307 – M59325). I believe that the three car sets were initially allocated to Derby for East Midlands local duties until they were replaced around 1969 with class 120 Swindon Cross Country units from the Western Region and transferred to Accrington where they were reduced to two car power twins with the trailer vehicles being withdrawn. Can anyone confirm the identities and formation of the three car sets and confirm or amend my recollection of there history.

That's how I remember it John, I have a bit of a soft spot for the Cravens triples as I spent two consecutive summer hols at my Mum's Aunt's house in Newark in 1968 and 1969. Travelling as we did to Nottingham and Lincoln, they were around in '68 but by '69, as you say the 120s had taken over (although Etches Park's BRCW 104s were still around).

• 9 years later...

I've never seen this half yellow warning panel/rail blue variant on a Class 105 before but according to Railcar.co.uk it was a Doncaster thing.

Stainby Sidings in 1972

Stainby Sidings

And how about this for Limited Edition Commission of the Bachmann model?

Aberystwyth 1982

50792-50759

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know when the last 105’s based in Cambridge or Norwich (I think) we’re withdrawn?  I have a feeling it was the very late 80’s. 

Edited by jools1959

18 hours ago, stewartingram said:

These two could be the same unit. 1st one taken at Cambridge, the 1st time I'd seen a blue one. The 2nd pic is the last day railtour coming off the St.Ives loop at March.

Stewart

07_105_0002_Cambridge...jpg

07_105_0012_March...jpg

Right thanks, it does seem like they were used for railtours for some reason.

On 22 June 2020 at 17:37, montyburns56 said:

I've never seen this half yellow warning panel/rail blue variant on a Class 105 before but according to Railcar.co.uk it was a Doncaster thing.

Stainby Sidings in 1972

Stainby Sidings

And how about this for Limited Edition Commission of the Bachmann model?

Aberystwyth 1982

50792-50759

Definitely appears to be a Doncaster thing - as well as Cravens class 105, there are pictures on flickr of Derby twin (class 114) and Metro Cammell (class 101) units on the ER in this livery variation (blue with half yellow panel) - in fact I've seen one of a class 101 in this livery but without BR arrows - it would be interesting to know  the period they applied this style. 

As for the M50752 batch of LMR Cravens 3 car units, they were a regular feature at Birmingham New Street in the early to late 60s, on stopping services to the East Midlands (Derby and Leicester), along with Class 104 BRCW units. They also worked to Nottingham and Lincoln.  Several of the twin car sets from the Manchester area (Newton Heath) were transferred to Etches Park in the mid 60s so appeared also. They appear to have lost their trailer cars in their latter days at Etches Park, and then transferring to Accrington in 1969 as replacements for the Rolls Royce engined Cravens sets (class 112/3), which were withdrawn. 

There's some detail on railcar.co.uk of the operations of these LMR units including scans of leaflets with route maps when the trains were first introduced. 

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Sorely missed by me I might add.

Admittedly it's been a long time, but it seems in my recollection they were actually more comfortable than a Class 717!

Those are developing rattles too.

The Nim.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 22/06/2020 at 22:59, jools1959 said:

Does anyone know when the last 105’s based in Cambridge or Norwich (I think) we’re withdrawn?  I have a feeling it was the very late 80’s. 

The set list for Norwich for late 1986 shows a small number of sets on the allocation. By mid 1987, the only Cravens set at Norwich was the retro green liveried one. This succumbed in November 1988.

The Cravens sets at Norwich were displaced by Class 101 sets, many of the new arrivals were previously at Chester and had been displaced by the arrival of second generation DMUs. 

From memory, when I was out travelling the rails in Yorkshire in late 1986, a selection of Cravens MBS vehicles had been adopted by the Parcels sector, along with other DMU classes. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 24/06/2020 at 20:21, EddieK said:

From memory, when I was out travelling the rails in Yorkshire in late 1986, a selection of Cravens MBS vehicles had been adopted by the Parcels sector, along with other DMU classes. 

Like this? 

E53381 Parcels 105 York

York, 1986/7ish

• Like 4