Kato Portam chassis only

westoe kid

Has anyone managed to get one of these as chassis only? I need one for my Westoe Electric project, ON Tracks and Gaugemaster list them but last time I enquired no release date, seems pricey and daft to have to buy such a lovely thing only to butcher it - apart from the fact the chassis is showing as half the price - any ideas or tips?

None, AFAIK the only way is to buy the tram new, dismantle and retain the 2 power units.

There was some talk of the chassis unit being released by Kato as a single unit (ie with the circuit board

portram_07.jpg

... but that seems to have dried up, probably because it is not much different that selling the complete unit.

I doubt if the motor unit itself

portram_12.jpg

would ever be sold separately as it is too fragile. The side clips fall off and it would simply spill its guts in transit.

Hi,

Do you have the Kato Part number for the chassis?

I have used Hobby Search in Japan and so far have had no problems with my orders.

I have given up with Gaugemaster. Their website is not user friendly and they have no idea how the Japanese market operates. Sadly they are the Kato wholesaler for the UK.

M G Sharp had their critics but at least they kept stock. Also you could always phone or E Mail to see if they would be stocking future items. I always received a courteous reply. Better the devil you know etc.

Hi,

The Kato number is Kato Portram CHASSIS ONLY K14-801D1G

But it would seem even if it could be got that it is only half a chassis ie 1 power bogie so I guess I shall have to strip a lovely tram, it is much of a job anyone?

it is much of a job anyone?

Follow the link on either of the images and it is also detailed on my Portram->Lister thread.

It is very straightforward, once you get through the initial pain barrier of having to break up a perfectly respectable model.

Probably the only difficult step is the soldering of the pickup leads. You will have a hot iron and molten solder next to some pretty soft plastic, speed is the essence. Also beware as you disassemble that the side clips fall off at the slightest shake. This is a minor point as the bits can be re-assembled with care.

There is one major drawback with importing from Japan - you usually fall foul of customs impounding it (even though it should not carry a duty charge - for one. it will incur dreaded VAT) but you then get delayed and ripped off by the parcel company who extract it and deliver it the last few miles into your hands.

I believe you can still buy the new Portram through the Ffestiniog shop at Porthmadoc Harbour but I've no idea what their stock levels are like.

Archived