Pre-Grouping Wagons

justin1985

Hi,

I've probably mentioned on my blog that I have three main modelling interests:

• N Gauge - Modern (1990s) East Anglian prototype
  • N Gauge - Modern Swedish prototype
  • 2mmFS - 1920s-30s Great Eastern

I haven't really posted much about about the 2mmFS, so thought with the new forum area, I'd share some of what I've been working on.

Not having any permanent space to set up a layout, or even regular modelling time, I've just concentrated on manageable projects as and when I get the chance. So while I've got a Fencehouses Foundry J72 on the go, it still isn't finished after several years (and I'm considering whether it might be easier to get an 0-6-0 tender loco like the Fencehouses J39 finished first, as I'm finding the J72 quite fiddly to get running well).

So for now all I've managed to get finished has been some wagons, here are a few that I've painted recently. I'm a bit stumped on weathering some of these - prototype photos are a bit lacking!

Hope this is of interest

Justin

post-3740-0-61648300-1307312194_thumb.jpg

post-3740-0-96549200-1307312258_thumb.jpg

I'm unsure on the LSWR opens but the others look like they are NGS or 2mmSA.

The LNWR van (dia. 88) is available as an all etched kit from the 2mmSA. The Mink is the N gauge society body kit (I think - the 2mmSA version has moulded solebar detail that includes the stanchions that turn under the sides and continue down the solebar, but unfortunately also the vertically planked replacement doors that appeared from 1927 onwards. The NGS item has the earlier panelled doors, as here, and alternatives to build a GPV). The MR open is likely to be a 2mmSA kit, which is part of a twin pack (there is also one with a different number of planks).

Regarding weathering, I like to guess based on photographs in wagon books. It would appear that painted wood still ages in a similar way now. There used to be quite a lot of scribbling on wagons the older the photographs get. There is a picture of my effort at the LNWR van on my blog.

<edit> I just looked and the pictures are from before I weathered it, so it looks very much like yours rolleyes.gif

Thanks for explaining the kits Rich, they are indeed as you have described! The MR open is part of the twin pack from the 2mmSA (the other is out of shot but there too) - I lettered one with larger initials, and one with smaller, from the Fox sheet - I'm not quite sure why!

The LSWR wagon is a Parkwood kit on a 2mmSA chassis - I think the association used to sell the body only kit, but I can't see it listed anymore.

I find pre-grouping era photos quite hard to use for weathering inspiration - wagon detail just seems to blend into a mush of generic dark tones! I'm guessing brake dust won't have been quite such a large influence on the solebar colouring (as fewer brake blocks) but there must have been a similar "track muck", and heavy weathering to the roofs. Do you have a photo of your LNWR van as weathered?

Thanks!

Do you have a photo of your LNWR van as weathered?

No. I'll have to take some.

The up side is that no-one else really knows either. I reckon that they ended up pretty grotty within a few years. Roofs seem to vary considerably in photographs from quite white to properly disgusting, usually with a fairly even discoloration.

I find pre-grouping era photos quite hard to use for weathering inspiration - wagon detail just seems to blend into a mush of generic dark tones! I'm guessing brake dust won't have been quite such a large influence on the solebar colouring (as fewer brake blocks) but there must have been a similar "track muck", and heavy weathering to the roofs. Do you have a photo of your LNWR van as weathered?

Thanks!

Hello Justin, very nice wagons, if you don't mind me saying so :)

I have an album of photos taken in Lincoln between 1919 & 1928 that has several shots of vans from various companies that you might find useful for reference:

post-6843-0-11983000-1307444399_thumb.jpg

post-6843-0-89741600-1307444425_thumb.jpg

post-6843-0-44844100-1307444461_thumb.jpg

post-6843-0-94920700-1307444492_thumb.jpg

post-6843-0-88207800-1307444533_thumb.jpg

post-6843-0-24123800-1307444572_thumb.jpg

As Rich says, chalk markings were definitely the order of the day...

Some of the vans shown seem to have quite light coloured roofs & the refrigerator van in the first shot is presumably white or a similar light colour, so that shows that wagons could be clean at least some of the time. The same type of van at the right hand side of the fourth photo & the filthy LSWR van in the last photo, however, show that it probably didn't last long... ;)

Kevin

Those shots are great Kevin! I think the white refrigerator van actually makes it much easier to get my head around the weathering pattern on these early vans with heavy strapping and framing. The roofs do look very uniform in their tone, rather than the more streaky look I'm used to on more modern stock, as there was a lot of soot drifting down relatively gently, quite different to a modern van where most weathering comes from below or the general environment.

Justin

Those shots are great Kevin! I think the white refrigerator van actually makes it much easier to get my head around the weathering pattern on these early vans with heavy strapping and framing.

Justin

Hi Justin, that was exactly my thinking with the white van - with a dark van the subtlety of the weathering is often lost in the gloomy tones, as you said, but the white background shows things up nicely. :)

Kevin

Archived